1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
827 Posts
Johnson isn’t facing any criminal charges, either, something that might be up for debate in non-Stand Your Ground states. However, Tennesse isn’t one of those.
From the description this was not even close to SYG. Once the bad guy reaches for his gun it becomes self defense. A cop would have reacted the same way if he did not already have his gun out.

·
Registered
5,537 Posts
From the description this was not even close to SYG. Once the bad guy reaches for his gun it becomes self defense. A cop would have reacted the same way if he did not already have his gun out.
Yep! And these ex boyfriend - domestic situations can escalate quickly and unpredictably.

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Yes, unfortunately, even the firearms press muddies the SYG waters too. :smack

·
Registered
20,202 Posts
i have to disagree...in some states there is a requirement to run and hide...stand your ground allows for self defense without retreat if you are somewhere you are legally entitled to be......

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing things like this happen many times a year but these events never make the national news.
We only get the news when some whack-o monster does their evil deed with a gun.
Ronnie

·
Registered
887 Posts
I thought the exact same thing, he reached in his waistband for a gun he already brandished. Where was Johnson supposed to retreat too anyway? And would he have had time to make a safe retreat (answer is NO in my opinion). The aggressor parked in front of him blocking his easiest way to safely exit. Mentioning SYG seemed silly, but I guess Im wrong?

:dunno

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
I thought the exact same thing, he reached in his waistband for a gun he already brandished. Where was Johnson supposed to retreat too anyway? And would he have had time to make a safe retreat (answer is NO in my opinion). The aggressor parked in front of him blocking his easiest way to safely exit. Mentioning SYG seemed silly, but I guess Im wrong?

:dunno
In this case, the author's mention of SYG is relevant because he's merely saying that if this incident had happened in a state that has a duty to retreat before using lethal force in self defense, even if AOJ and all the other elements were met, then the defender might be in trouble with the law. In this case it was in Tennessee and the defender had no duty to retreat, the defender was apparently within the law and won't face any charges.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts