Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say that I have been shooting for 40 years, some of that time competitively. Up until the present I was strictly a revolver or John Browning designed all metal gun kind of guy. While not a Glock hater, I just did not like the grip angle or look of the gun so I never bought one. 4 months ago I moved to Florida and got my CCW permit. Wanting something very reliable rather than a gun for competition, I chose a Glock 26, 19 and 17. I also bought two snubbies. All based on reliability and so far not one failure out of any of them. To my amazement I shot the Glocks better than I shot any of my expensive all metal guns. In fact, I was looking real good shooting any of my Glocks.

I used to own a Kimber SS Custom II. Never really shot well with it. Missed more times than hit at 25+ yards with it. Switched to a CZ 75BD and shot much better and won a few matches. Based on my recent experience with Glocks I decided that perhaps it was time to try the big bullet again. A cop friend recommended the Glock 30 and I chose the SF model figuring it would fit my hands better. I picked it up today and bought 100 rounds to test it out. Right out of the box the first shot hit the bulls eye at 7 yards. Finished the mag in a nice tight group around the bulls eye. Loaded up another mag of ten and moved the target out to 25 yards and tried for head shots. Made 4 out of 5, which for me is really good. Tried COM with my right hand and put them all within the 8 ring. Then I brought the target back to 7 years and fired left hand only. First shot hit the bulls eye and the rest grouped nicely within the 8 ring. After that it was rapid fire time. As per my previous experience with .45, getting back on target was slower than with my 9mm so I have to work on that. I was so impressed with the gun that I think it may become my main non snubbie carry gun. I have no problem with its size as it tucks just fine IWB on my large frame. I was very apprehensive in buying this gun without even holding one but when I put it into my hand it fit just fine. It did not feel fat to me at all. As far as recoil goes I only experience it as muzzle rise. I guess I have been shooting .357 and 12 gauge shotguns with pistol grips so long that anything under a .357 does not bother me at all as far as experiencing pain. ::) I just do not think about it for some reason.

In summary I would recommend trying the Glock 30SF to anyone wanting a .45 for ccw. To date, it is the best shooting gun I have ever used and I have owned a lot of handguns over the past 40 years. This is not to say it is the best gun ever but for me it is the best I have shot. I think it is the grip angle which I used to hate and the trigger. I have shot SA guns many times but for some reason the Glock trigger just fits me well. I just want to kick myself for not buying Glocks sooner. While I now like Glocks it still bothers me to look into the empty grip and see shiney plastic; I mean Polymer. ;)

·
Registered
20,414 Posts
it may not be because you are used to high powered guns...the g30 is a well balanced tool that has very little perceived recoil...i was amazed at the accuracy i had when i first started shooting mine...it is a natural pointer and a pleasure to shoot...i traded a 1911 on 1 after i had purchased my 19 and fell in love with it...ugly guns need love too....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it may not be because you are used to high powered guns...the g30 is a well balanced tool that has very little perceived recoil...i was amazed at the accuracy i had when i first started shooting mine...it is a natural pointer and a pleasure to shoot...i traded a 1911 on 1 after i had purchased my 19 and fell in love with it...ugly guns need love too....
You may be right. Sorry for the lack of Pics but while at the range a group of people approached me to ask me if I could tell them what they were doing wrong. Well it seems that they did not know that you had to rack the slide of their Sig P239 in order to chamber a round. From that point on I was watching my back as they demonstrated a total lack of safe gun handling skills. I helped them as much as I could and they were eager to learn so I did not report them. Everyone has to learn sometime and since it was just them and me I figured I was the only one at risk. By the end of their session they were doing pretty good although when they started they had put their target out to 50 yards and I moved it back telling them to be less ambitious for their first time shooting. ::)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The Glock 30SF is the one Glock I think I will someday buy. I would carry it with a 13+1 with a G 21 mag. It's pretty small, very light and 14 rounds of 45 is a lot of firepower. I think it is the perfect Concealed carry weapon.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts