Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun show today looking for a concealed carry gun. I thought I was sold on a Glock 19 for concealed carry, but the XD9 service just feels better in my hand. The XD subcompact felt uncomfortable. I would like to hear what you folks think of the XD service as a concealed carry. The grip is 1/2" longer than the G-19. I am thinking a MTAC or crossbreed IWB rig. Does anyone want to talk me out of it? Pros and Cons?

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Whichever you can shoot the best should be your choice. The next step is to shoot both at the range and see.

For me personally I swear by the Glock19. to me it's the most reliable 9mm semi-auto ever made. Zero issue right out of the box after more than a thousand rounds of different types of ammo.

Once you find what's right for you then concealing should no be an issue with the holsters you mention.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the replies. I know they are both good guns and shoot well. Since the MTAC and Crossbreed holsters are only available online, I wanted to see what other folks are carrying the SA XD9 Service in and how well it conceals.

flccnp - Would you say the concealment is good with the MTAC at the 3:00 to 3:15 position?

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
I believe the g19 will be more concealable as well as more reliable overall.

The g19 has the longer track record of reliability over an extended period of time.

The grip on the xd may be more to your liking, many find the glocks to be uncomfortable in their hand.

My preference would lean toward the glock.

Brownie

·
Registered
974 Posts
flccnp - Would you say the concealment is good with the MTAC at the 3:00 to 3:15 position?
My girlfriend lives with me. She knows that if I'm in jeans or shorts I'm carrying. There are times she'll pat my hip to check to see if I have it on.

I'm 5'10" and about 180-185 lbs. It conceals well on me with a loose fitting t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My girlfriend lives with me. She knows that if I'm in jeans or shorts I'm carrying. There are times she'll pat my hip to check to see if I have it on.

I'm 5'10" and about 180-185 lbs. It conceals well on me with a loose fitting t-shirt.
Hi Flccnp, I am 6'4 230 lbs. I think I could hide it as well. I am still on the fence regarding my EDC. I am going to try to get more range time with both weapons. I am glad that both conceal well in the MTAC.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing- just trying to keep track of the delays.
:cool: I have been tracking also. I am thinking mid march but things could change. i just want to be ready with my research and have all my gear/ and range time before I receive the license

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Good plan. I spent a lot of time deciding on a revolver or an auto. After that, things went more quickly. Sounds as if you've settled on an auto.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Auto Ordinance 1911, a S&W 5906 and a Taurus 85 snub. I was considering carrying the 5906 again, but decided against it since its a DA/SA. The Model 85 is a good concealer but I am limited to 5 shots.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I have a Auto Ordinance 1911, a S&W 5906 and a Taurus 85 snub. I was considering carrying the 5906 again, but decided against it since its a DA/SA. The Model 85 is a good concealer but I am limited to 5 shots.
If I had to choose a concealed carry gun from the above list, and what you have suggested you were going to buy, I would carry the Auto Ordinance 1911.

I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45acp for the reasons shown below:

and ....

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I had to choose a concealed carry gun from the above list, and what you have suggested you were going to buy, I would carry the Auto Ordinance 1911.

I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45acp for the reasons shown below:
I thought about it. My AO has a Wilson barrel, some other goodies, and quite accurate, but cocked and locked carry isn't for me. I thought about the 45 cal model Glock or SA XD, but thought the right 9mm round should surfice

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Posted by steve66
"...but cocked and locked carry isn't for me."
Oh my, the way John Browning meant it to be carried ......
:thumsup

·
Registered
204 Posts
I say get the one that feels best to you. You will shoot it more and enjoy it. It's no big deal to CC in a good holster. My choice is a 1911 .45acp in condition #1, but that's me not you. Good luck.

·
Banned
11,161 Posts
In answer to the original question, whichever pistol you can shoot the best is the one you should depend upon. Glock has a longer track record, but individual weapons have had problems. The XD's have not exhibited any problems directly attributable to design or construction of the weapon and should provide service equal to the Glock. Other than that, it is a personal matter. After all, any mechanical device can malfunction.

I carry an XD-45 compact with an extra magazine outside the house. It feeds and ejects flawlessly with a variety of factory ammo and I shoot better with it than with a Glock. I carry differently for different occasions. Sometimes on belt, sometimes in pants, sometimes in a shoulder rig and very often on ankle. The manner of carry is determined by clothing style and occasion. One suggestion, holster up for and practice for more than one manner of carry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts