Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am pleased to have found this forum as it directly relates to my interests and needs.

I feel I should introduce myself and my handgun (CCW) related experience.

I have been a handgun owner for a couple of years now and I secured my CCW permit about 6 mo. ago.

Interestingly, I have gone through several different configurations including a full size Taurus 1911 in a Crossbreed holster, a S&W Walther PPK/S .380 in a belly band and "Thunderwear", a Taurus .38 snubby in pocket. I have also tried the Kel Tec PF-9 with a generic IWB, but traded the gun for the G26 due to the painful recoil.

Having run the gamut on compact pistols, I finally broke down and went with on of the most "popular" rigs. I didn't start out liking the tupperware, but I must say that I have come to respect Glock for what it is.

To that end I now have a trusty Glock 26 in simple Galco IWB holster and or a Fobus Ankle Holster. Despite its diminutive size, the G26 can still create a bulge in the wasteband, hence the ankle holster. However, as any Florida resident is aware, the heat frequently necessitates the lightest possible clothing. Thus, I frequently wear shorts and this type of clothing does not work with an ankle rig.

Enter the noisy cricket aka the Kel-Tec p-32. I chose to outfit mine with an armalaser in a custom Desantis nemesis pocket holster. I have found the .32 acp to be a manageable round that allows me the best shot placement of any mousegun I have so far used. The laser provides me with the low light visibility that I need in many situations (I.e. the evening stroll or trip to the gas station).

I am in my 2nd year of law School and I have a strong interest in the 2nd amendment and upholding its protections. I was thrilled to hear about the recent "D.C. Handgun Case" and its outcome and hope that it will in fact provide the precedent necessary to push our firearms ownership rights in the correct direction.

I am very interested in getting acquainted with attorneys who specialize in representing people in self defense situations and would enjoy hearing from any such person.

If you happen to have the name and number of someone in the local (orlando) area I would be grateful. (I have already contacted Mr. Gutmacher).

Sincerely,

Konrad

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Firstly let me say welcome to the forum Konrad. I myself am a Glock fan even though I look with envy at those beautiful 1911's. But all in all the Glock platform is just rock solid. IWB with an extra size polo or tee-shirt works for me with the Glock19.

I was listening to Glenn Beck today and he interviewed the lawyer who represented Heller. It was a very interesting interview. As a law student you have an opportunity to make a difference when it comes to the constitution and the law when you get out. Anyway we look forward to your input here on the forum and welcome again. :thumsup

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Konrad, welcome aboard. Maybe you can be our on-site legal eagle. Don't really know if there are any other attorneys on board with us here but it is nice to know we will have one soon. How much longer do you have? :thumsup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would love to render any assistance I can.

I am not an attorney however, so I can't give legal advice per se.

however, I can utilize the skills I have learned to research and contribute in a lay capacity.

I should be graduating in 2009, though I am not sure whether it will be the spring or fall. It depends on whether I need to gain employment (again) while in school and class availability.

I appreciate the welcome I have received. It seems like FLCC has a top notch member roster and I appreciate the conversations I've seen so far.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Welcome Konrad...

It's nice to know that there are still younger folks out there still willing to study law from a Constitutional perspective. At one time I considered going into law and specializing in Constitutional Law...but as I've said before...life has the funny ability to get in the way...but like I said...it sure is nice to know there are still guys like you (and me) out there... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rhalsey,

thank you for the website.

However, I have looked at Mr. Gutmacher's site and contacted him personally.

My intent was to try to in effect "Shadow" him however, based on the email exchange that I had with him I got the impression he was not interested.

I respect him and his work, however, based on our correspondence I believe I will have to look elsewhere.

Right now I have been interning with my local state attorney's office and they are good people, I feel.

I look forward to working with their office one day.

However, at the same time I look to the future and see the possibility of working in or creating a practice that allows me to cater directly to the gun owners in the area.

I have scanned the forums for this type of info and the two most frequently cited items of interest are as follows:

1. Everyone recommends that every CCW holder secure the services of a good criminal defense lawyer proactively.

2. Many CCW holders agree with the advice but reflect on the fact that many of them do not have the $ to do so.

Thus, my goal is to figure out a way to make the retainer affordable. I was envisioning some type of easily acquired credit or perhaps a quasi insurance set up (I.e. aftermarket car warranties) where the CCW holder pays the retainer fee over the course of a period of time but is covered before the final retainer payment is made.

I have not researched the legal hurdles (Licensing, legality of such an arrangement etc...) but for me that would be some thing I could bring to the community that would make a difference (Hopefully) to those around whom I live.

My goal is to preserve the 2nd amend. right of the people to bear arms and I wish to make sure that every time a law abiding citizen gets into a bind that $ does not stop them from getting the representation they deserve.

It may sound idealistic and Im sure it is. I'm sure my perspectives will change slightly if I cannot make a living off of such an arrangement. BUT!

I can try!

I know there are a lot of CCW holders out there (Myself included) who are looking at the attorney aspect of gun ownership as a "Ill cross that bridge when I come to it" type thing.

I envision myself being on call 24 hrs a day ready to show up at your door (If possible) to be there at almost the same time the police do.

with any luck I could give the client the moral support they WILL need immediately following the shooting. I am guessing that when the client pulls the trigger they will feel like a little kid and all they want is someone to tell them its all right and take care of everything.

I want to be that guy... and I want to make sure its affordable.

So it will be a work in progress and I appreciate any input, ideas, help or referrals (To attorneys who practice like this) that you could provide.

Regards,

Konrad

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Another point I want to make is this.

I respect the right of every citizen to have the best representation available.

However, that is my view from a legal perspective not a personal one.

Personally, I would prefer not to represent gang bangers who shoot up neighborhoods and then want me to get them off.

I respect FULLY! anyone who does this line of work, BUT! I do not feel that it is my line. I truly hope that I can carve out that niche in criminal and civil law that would allow me to be the 1stopshop for firearms owners.

I would love to specialize in guiding new CCW applicants through the first time process, providing the revocable living trust services to class 3 applicants, providing on call services to clients involved in a shooting, and providing the civil litigation services to armed citizens who are sued by their unlawful attackers.

I really want to further the ability of Americans and specifically, Central Floridians to own and use guns.

lol...

a bit long I know...sorry. :D

·
Registered
974 Posts
Personally, I would prefer not to represent gang bangers who shoot up neighborhoods and then want me to get them off.
When lawyers stopped having morals and started having ethics they started to get a bad reputation.

Maybe you can help to change that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It looks to be in the same general line as what Im talking about. I will investigate it further.

However, I envision a firm in the central florida area dedicated to firearms owners.

From what I can tell the network you mention is a good place to start, but what they seem to be offering is more in the line of assistance than straight up representation. (i.e. "access" to the networks expert wintesses etc...).

But as I said I will investigate it more. I might be able to find some local attorneys through it that do just what I am interested in.

Thanks for the link!

Konrad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts