Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a small general aviation airport. My question is if there would be any issue with carrying there? This is the type of airport where you would rent aircraft to learn to fly or tiedown or hangar an airplane if you own one. There are no x-ray machines or security check points.

· Super Moderator
11,164 Posts
The statute says that you can't carry "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport". Since the airport you're describing has no passenger terminal and no sterile area, I'd say you're OK.

· Registered
2,372 Posts
As a CFI for 20+ years and a corporate pilot, I always carry, especially with new students I don't know. The Bahamas are only 60 NM from PBI.
As the previous poster said, it is only in parts of an airline passenger terminal that firearms are prohibited.
Now the FBO, being a private entity has the right to prohibit firearms on their premises, but the only thing they can do is ask you to leave; of course if you don't comply, you are trespassing.

· Administrator
5,115 Posts
I LOVE the search button!
A buddy is flying a gunship down on a training hop from JAX to a local general avaition strip (Venice).. If I buy dinner, he says he'll sneak me a ride! Just wanted to know if I had to leave Little G home!

· Banned
4,614 Posts
I LOVE the search button!
A buddy is flying a gunship down on a training hop from JAX to a local general avaition strip (Venice).. If I buy dinner, he says he'll sneak me a ride! Just wanted to know if I had to leave Little G home!
if it's a round trip ride there probably won't be any military security, if the ride ends on post, leave it home

· Administrator
5,115 Posts
He's just flying down from JAX and back... I only get a few minutes in the middle... Thanks

· Administrator
5,115 Posts
What a ride!

· Registered
6,657 Posts
As a CFI for 20+ years and a corporate pilot, I always carry, especially with new students I don't know. The Bahamas are only 60 NM from PBI.
As the previous poster said, it is only in parts of an airline passenger terminal that firearms are prohibited.
Now the FBO, being a private entity has the right to prohibit firearms on their premises, but the only thing they can do is ask you to leave; of course if you don't comply, you are trespassing.
Careful now, what you said is NOT what the previous poster said.
Steve48 said:
The statute says that you can't carry "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport". Since the airport you're describing has no passenger terminal and no sterile area, I'd say you're OK.
In fact, Steve48 is correct. For concealed permit holders, Chapter 790.06 Florida Statutes says:
(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
From what I understand, federal law only prohibits carrying in the sterile area, but here in Florida, it's different.

Of course, you are correct in the remainder of your post. :thumsup

· Banned
4,614 Posts
Careful now, what you said is NOT what the previous poster said.

In fact, Steve48 is correct. For concealed permit holders, Chapter 790.06 Florida Statutes says:

From what I understand, federal law only prohibits carrying in the sterile area, but here in Florida, it's different.

Of course, you are correct in the remainder of your post. :thumsup
while what you've posted is correct, most GA airports have neither passenger terminals or sterile areas

· Registered
6,657 Posts
while what you've posted is correct, most GA airports have neither passenger terminals or sterile areas
Of course, you are correct. It was not my intention do imply anything other than the discrepancy in the bold red lines.

· Registered
41 Posts
Here's one for you all. I'm looking into getting my pilot license and was poking around on the internet when I noticed something interesting. The Melbourne Area Pilots Association has a list of rules that must be followed on MLB property:
http://www.mlbpilots.org/October2008TSAMeeting.pdf

They say you're subject to a TSA/police search even in the GA part of the airport. All firearms must be unloaded/secured. They even specifically say that people with a CWP cannot carry a firearm onto airport property per city ordinance and that the police will arrest you for having a loaded gun. Keep in mind that this is a government-run airport, not private. I didn't think they could do this since it isn't listed in state law as a no-carry location. Keep in mind also that this airport requires badges; I imagine that you have to agree to the rules to get the badge.

Not that I necessarily want to fight this. The press for the "guns in parks" thing was bad enough, just think about how worked up the anti-2A folks would get about guns at airports. Then again, that may be fun to watch! :rolf

· Banned
4,614 Posts
Here's one for you all. I'm looking into getting my pilot license and was poking around on the internet when I noticed something interesting. The Melbourne Area Pilots Association has a list of rules that must be followed on MLB property:
http://www.mlbpilots.org/October2008TSAMeeting.pdf

They say you're subject to a TSA/police search even in the GA part of the airport. All firearms must be unloaded/secured. They even specifically say that people with a CWP cannot carry a firearm onto airport property per city ordinance and that the police will arrest you for having a loaded gun. Keep in mind that this is a government-run airport, not private. I didn't think they could do this since it isn't listed in state law as a no-carry location. Keep in mind also that this airport requires badges; I imagine that you have to agree to the rules to get the badge.

Not that I necessarily want to fight this. The press for the "guns in parks" thing was bad enough, just think about how worked up the anti-2A folks would get about guns at airports. Then again, that may be fun to watch! :rolf
I am assuming that there is no security zone there, you just might be in a don't ask don't tell situation, there is no reason anyone has to know that you are carrying

· Registered
86 Posts
I am assuming that there is no security zone there, you just might be in a don't ask don't tell situation, there is no reason anyone has to know that you are carrying
TSA has been pushing to get their rules applied to GA airports. And get this - they will impose rules, and you can be arrested for violating those rules, but they can't tell you what the rules are because revealing the rules would be a breach of security.:aarg

· Registered
1,876 Posts
realjd,

If you're going through FIT Aviation, or a private guy that has his own plane on the north side at Atlantic Jet, I believe that you have to let the PIC know that you have a concealed weapon on board if I remember correctly from Guitmacher's book (can't remember spelling).

Although FIT Aviation is a subsidiary of Florida Institute of Technolgy and subject to the security rules here on campus for its of-site areas. Florida Institute of Technology Security Policy

Kev

· Banned
11,156 Posts
Different airports have different security classifications depending upon the nature of their operatons. In the case of MLB, that airport handles both scheduled commercial passenger airlines [both domestic and international flights] as well as GA operaitons. Its security restrictions are pretty standard for an airport of its classification. You are not allowed to carry a loaded firearm into the Aircraft Operations Area, that is the area that is accessible for aircraft [hangers, parking ramps, etc.], in either the Secure IDentification Area [the AOA around the passenger terminals] or the less restrictive AOAs located at the Fixed Base Operations in the General Aviation sections of the airport. This is a federal mandate. The areas with unrestricted public access, outside of the designated passenger terminal areas, are not subject to these restrictions and concealed carry, with a CWL, should be legal. Before carrying into any building that houses flight operations, you should check to see what the airport designation for that building is. In the case of most FBOs, the management can provide you with that information. Some, which serve as a passenger boarding area for charter airlines, are now considered a "terminal".

In the case of most GA only airports, those having no regularly scheduled commercial passenger flights or not hosting any certified airline operations [these can include charter airlines whose flights originate or terminate at that facility] are usually free of the more rigourous federal security requirements, though most are posted against trespass in the AOA.

Flight schools could pose a problem under state law. In the case of a publicly owned airport, I would think that local ordinances prohibiting weapons would have no more legal weight than would those applying to parks.

I know this is complicated, but I hope it helps.

· Registered
41 Posts
If you're going through FIT Aviation, or a private guy that has his own plane on the north side at Atlantic Jet, I believe that you have to let the PIC know that you have a concealed weapon on board if I remember correctly from Guitmacher's book
I know some folks who are members of the Indian River Flying Club, so I was probably going to go through them. They're much cheaper than FIT also. I went flying with one of my friends in the IRFC last weekend for the first time and the plane we used was at Valkaria.

I don't actually plan on carrying a gun at MLB, I was just curious if they were allowed to make rules like that or if they were violating the preemption law since it was a city ordinance.

Mac45,
That is good info. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.