Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don’t know the situation with this particular festival, but I have been involved in a planning capacity with other festivals in Florida.

Festivals, even though they “seem” to be sanctioned and/or put on by a local government, in reality are held by an event production company, which has been hired by the local government to “run” the festival. The production company thus leases the property from the local government for the duration of the event. Thus, in a gated, controlled access event (even if free) you are essentially on private property, even though publicly owned, as long as the production company is under lease, therefore the leasee can set their own rules, such as no guns.

If not a gated “enter here” festival then carry is generally allowed. This was recently an issue with my small town’s Christmas parade. Because the parade route was simply Main Street, and people could walk in from any side street with no gates or designated entrance points, the no carry rule was deemed invalid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I'd find out if they have metal detectors to determine which gun to carry.

-on Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd find out if they have metal detectors to determine which gun to carry.

I haven't been to this festival before, but have been wanting to check it out for several years now.
It could be a total dud for all I know. (And does garlic even grow in Florida?)
But... you know.... I do like to eat! :)

Anyway, in years past, I recall the Garlic Festival was held downtown Delray Beach, which would probably have been pretty difficult to provide "gated access".
But now I see the event has been moved to John Prince Park in Lake Worth. And, although I've probably been to that park, I don't recall whether it can be easily configured for gated access.

There ought to be a law that if an event organizer wants to avail themselves to a public venue, they can't make additional rules regarding venue access by the public.
Whatever those rules happen to be, they are part-and-parcel of the space they are renting.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Went to the festival last year.
Security would not let me in with just a folder so I had to hide it outside.

The festival,itself is a POS. Just a typical carnival with a couple of "Garlic" signs.
If you don't go,you won't have the carry issues.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the festival last year.
Security would not let me in with just a folder so I had to hide it outside.

The festival,itself is a POS. Just a typical carnival with a couple of "Garlic" signs.
If you don't go,you won't have the carry issues.
Good to know. (Thanks).
Guess I'll pass this year too, then.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I’m in John Prince park often. It’s a wide open park. Difficult to think of an area where they could fence it off and prevent easy entry from other ways?
If it’s not free though I’m sure they’ll find a way.
Last year,they fenced it off with some kind of temporary fencing.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Didn't think they could prevent you from entering with a CCW if it was "public" property, even if it was being used for a private event?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
Didn't think they could prevent you from entering with a CCW if it was "public" property, even if it was being used for a private event?
The city can rent out public space and it becomes 'private' for the time of the event. It has happened a number of times with photoraphers being told they can no longer enter a public area that has been rented.

·
Super Moderator
27,065 Posts
IIRC, when I asked Florida Carry, they said there's several municipities leasing out public property for private events with the vendor banning weapons. The Sunfest event in West Palm Beach is one of many examples, which I believe was why I asked FC about it. FC said that since the statute is open to interpretation and there is no case law, Florida Carry would have to sue to get this resolved, but it's one of many priorities they haven't yet been able to pursue with the limited resources they have available. I'll ask rvrctyranger again next time I see him (he's not been on FCC for over two years).

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I was turned away at the gate at last years St. Pete seafood festival, for my cc. I went to the first cop I saw outside the area ( hot lookin blonde & she was a SGT.! ) & asked her what was going on. She said the event organizer had to get a permit, $$, to hold the event & they can then set the rules for the event. I said that’s bs, as it’s in a city park & she actually said she agreed, but they dont make the laws, just enforce em. So, off I went for a 3 block walk to my truck to lock up the Glock.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts