Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I just hit the Gandermountain.com website and saw the announcement.

"Everything must go now!"

At the bottom it says they were acquired by Camping World (TM) and an announcement would be made in fall 2017.

Looks like they ain't gonna make it. :dunno

I've got a Camping World next door to my local Gander Mountain.

I wonder what is happening?

Geoff
Who Googled for news, there are conflicting reports over the last 17 hours, the website says all stores going down, the owner says not all stores..sigh...
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/gander_mountain_not_closing_al.html

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I guessed that was going to happen. Extremely high prices on just about everything, Putting things on sale they do not have in stock, Rude employees,some really stupid limits on how much ammo you can buy at one time.
Just really crummy management at the top level.
Remember "CIRCUIT CITY?" ( Their managers probably went to Gander Mountain)
Ronnie

·
Registered
375 Posts
Everything must go, but...

A buddy called me Friday afternoon from the West Palm Beach store. He said signs said Store Closing discounts do not apply to guns, ammo, and several other things I didn't really care about. He also said that there was nothing to indicate which items were being marked down, or by how much.

They'll have to have some deep discounts to make it worth my time to stop there. Even 20% off of overpriced products is not a deal.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The last time I went it was my second choice to find a small Magpul item. They had it, I bought it, at sticker price.
I used to check GM and Academy every Sunday, now Academy changes sales on Wednesday.
Geoff
Who notes Gander had some nice sales but not lately.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Speaking of their employees. I had gone into the St. Augustine store and asked why they did not have any kind of grease for guns. The employee stated we don"t carry any. When asked why, the employee said because this is Florida. I stated something like what does that mean he simply said "we have sand here".

·
Registered
10,939 Posts
Well of course they're going out of business...their prices are absurdly high. For example, $49.99 for a 10-round Glock 17 magazine; that's nearly twice what most other retailers charge for that item.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I guessed that was going to happen. Extremely high prices on just about everything, Putting things on sale they do not have in stock, Rude employees,some really stupid limits on how much ammo you can buy at one time.
Just really crummy management at the top level.
Remember "CIRCUIT CITY?" ( Their managers probably went to Gander Mountain)
Ronnie
I recall that when Circuit City started selling out,the "sale" prices were higher than Best Buy's regular prices.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I went in the one they opened here a few years ago.
Nice place to look at things but way too expensive.

I looked at a Ruger SR22 I was interested in and their price was well over retail. This was while reputable online stores were offering strong discounts along with free shipping. I even asked if it was a special package or something and it wasn't. It was just overpriced.

I've never been back.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I just left the St. Augustine store. They haven't seen that many customers since their grand opening. :laughing However, the prices are still too high. All firearms/ammo are only marked down 10%, i.e. still too high. Clothes are marked down 15-20%.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Retail seems to be taking a hit, H.H.Gregg closing, Sears, K-Mart and Penny's might not be to far behind. Can't last with high prices and poor service.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Almost all of the stores are in a rented building, They have to pay "RENT". The owners of the property has the huge problem of having to pay a huge property tax, The owner also has to pay a huge Insurance bill on the building. The Property owner likes to make a huge profit on his property.
The Stores that were not smart enough to buy their own property and put up their own buildings are in very deep trouble.
Sears, K-Mart, Penny's, Gander Mountain, Circuit City, H.H.Gregg are just a few of them and not one of them owns the property or building they have their business in.
Around my area, most commercial property is owned by foreigners, or investment company's from other states.
Walmart, That old guy had the right idea. Buy the land, Put up the building, OWN it. """NOT RENT ANYTHING""" Self insured, And now Walmart usually has a few store fronts that they rent out to other businesses.
The way things are going, Walmart will be the only big "one stop shop" store around. Most other stores will just be on line or gone completely.
Ronnie

Oh, The retail store still has to pay all kinds of insurance which is not cheap.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Speaking of their employees. I had gone into the St. Augustine store and asked why they did not have any kind of grease for guns. The employee stated we don"t carry any. When asked why, the employee said because this is Florida. I stated something like what does that mean he simply said "we have sand here".
He should have said, "We have ***t for brains here." :dunno

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I saw a story last night that said the new CEO of GM plans to keep about half the stores open, dependent upon whether they can renegotiate leases (i.e. - "we'll stay if we can pay less in rent"). I used to stop at GM stores periodically, but due to being completely underwhelmed each time I went into one of their establishments, quit bothering with it a few years ago.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It is really very hard for a property owner (Management) to lower the rent due to the Taxes and insurance costs are atrocious.
I hope the new GM can get it done in some places.
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Just went by the one in Town 'n Country. They must not be too anxious to sell out, because they were only offering 10% - 20% discounts on most stuff. That only gets the price down to about what everyone else charges in the first place. And no discounts on guns or ammunition.

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Just went by the one in Town 'n Country. They must not be too anxious to sell out, because they were only offering 10% - 20% discounts on most stuff. That only gets the price down to about what everyone else charges in the first place. And no discounts on guns or ammunition.
I've never felt Gander Mountain was too anxious to sell anything, even before their impending bankruptcy and store closures came to light. I say that based on every single visit to their stores so I'm not at all surprised they're going out of business! :doh

1 - 20 of 33 Posts