Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll soon be 75 and my arthritis has certainly not gotten better. So, I pretty much find even my 9 mm leaves my hands aching after a range session. That has led me to change over
my carry gun to either a Sig 238 or a newly purchased Glock 42.

I have always made it a practice to be skillfull with my carry gun so I attend a range session several times a month and enjoy shooting these two guns. Thankfully I can still shoot the eyes out of a rat at 20 paces.

I was wondering how many septuagenarians out there ( I know there are plenty of us here in Florida ) have followed the same course of action.

BTW: the G42 and the Sig 238 are fantastic guns, and I do not feel under gunned with a 380, after all, it has served as a police and military arm for many,many years!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I'll soon be 75 and my arthritis has certainly not gotten better. So, I pretty much find even my 9 mm leaves my hands aching after a range session. That has led me to change over
my carry gun to either a Sig 238 or a newly purchased Glock 42.

I have always made it a practice to be skillfull with my carry gun so I attend a range session several times a month and enjoy shooting these two guns. Thankfully I can still shoot the eyes out of a rat at 20 paces.

I was wondering how many septuagenarians out there ( I know there are plenty of us here in Florida ) have followed the same course of action.

BTW: the G42 and the Sig 238 are fantastic guns, and I do not feel under gunned with a 380, after all, it has served as a police and military arm for many,many years!
Well, I'm only in my 50's but I just finished reading the book "Guns and Self-Defense: 23 Inspirational True Crime Stories of Survival with Firearms" (Kindle Edition), by Robert Waters.
In it, the authors describe several cases involving elderly victims successfully saving their own lives, and the lives of their loved ones, with a .380 handgun.

I have a little arthritis in my left thumb, but I shoot right-handed.
I sold my only .380 (a S&W Bodyguard) about a year ago; mostly because I could not shoot it (aim it) reliably. It was just too small for my hands.
That, I can handle a 9mm easily, so I finally just standardized all my handguns on 9mm, so as to avoid having too many different calibers (from an ammo perspective).

And BTW, I too like the G42/G43's, but really can't justify it as I already have the G26 (9mm, 10 rounds).
Not enough difference between them to matter (for me), plus, I kind of like the finger grooves - which don't come on those single-stack models.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
So far, my “little guns” are 9mm, and I’ll be 69 in January. I do have a Sig P238, but I just can’t bring myself to carry it, since I have the small 9mm’s.

I still shoot .45acp and 10mm pistols., as well as 9mm.

I currently carry mostly 1911’s, or my 10mm XD(M). I will carry a smaller 9mm PC Shield (or a small 1911) when the back gets too bad. Even then, I’ll carry two reloads, a knife, and a phone.

I’d say you’re definitely doing what’s best for you, and the fact that you’re practicing with your carry guns regularly puts you ahead of a lot of carriers. :thumsup

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have a Sig 365 and arthritis in my hand so I opted to get a Kimber 380 Micro and put a lazier grip on it. I love the Sig but I can shoot the Kimber much easier.
Federal HST 380 Hollow points are what I keep in the Kimber and the same but 9mm in the Sig.
At 76, I'm lucky to be able to shoot straight with anything.:rofl
Ronnie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts