Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a Kydex-type G19 holster, and what follows is NOT a plug for any particular manufacturer. (So you know.)

I own a High Noon Holsters "Reaction-Medium" for my Glock-26 that I really like. It's a snug fit, and although I suppose it's possible for the holster to eventually scratch the gun, I'm really not that concerned about it (but maybe I should be?).
Anyway, I'm tempted to purchase the "equivalent" for my G19. (Link at bottom of post, if you're interested.)

But here's my question:
When I visit their website, I note that they also offer a Kydex holster with a leather liner.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/hybrid-holsters/direct-hit

It's understandably a little more expensive, but still within reason.
Does anyone have opinions on leather-lined holsters, either in general, or specific to this model holster?

Or if there's something better out there that kicks these to the curb...., feel free. :)

I mostly carry the G26 these (hot summer) days, and I carry at the 4:00 o'clock position.
I'm not too concerned with anti-grab features, but do want a nice solid, secure click-fit.
I am not overly-obsessed with printing. Also, I prefer belt clips over straps, loops or paddles.

I know holster recommendations have been beat to death over the years, but appreciate any insights or comments.
$100 is still $100 these days. Would be nice to get it right. Thanks!!

BTW: Here's the link to what I think might be the closest match to my existing G26 holster (no leather liner).
https://www.highnoonholsters.com/kydex-holsters/reaction-medium

·
Registered
297 Posts
Too much overall thickness for my taste, but that is more a design consideration than that extremely thin layer of leather the kydex was molded over.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update: The holster arrived a few days ago. About 2-weeks from time of order to receipt in the mail.
That's about half the time they suggested on their website since these holsters are apparently made-to-order.

Anyway, just want to say: Really liking this holster so far (Glock-19, carry at 4:30 position, fairly big-frame guy here, and yeah--- I could use a little time in the gym!) :)

I went with the "Direct Hit", gray with black leather interior.
Gun fits nice and snug, and I can honestly say it's the first G-19 IWB that I really don't notice (i.e., comfortable) when I sit in the car or in chairs.
I also have HNH's G-26 Kydex only holster (no leather interior) which I also like - same carry position, etc...
Honestly, it's just as snug as the G-19 holster. I think you could forego the leather (which is quite thin) and save some money.
But -- you only live once so I figured I'd try it out. Not disappointed at all (and they don't pay me to say that)!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Update: The holster arrived a few days ago. About 2-weeks from time of order to receipt in the mail.
That's about half the time they suggested on their website since these holsters are apparently made-to-order.

Anyway, just want to say: Really liking this holster so far (Glock-19, carry at 4:30 position, fairly big-frame guy here, and yeah--- I could use a little time in the gym!) :)

I went with the "Direct Hit", gray with black leather interior.
Gun fits nice and snug, and I can honestly say it's the first G-19 IWB that I really don't notice (i.e., comfortable) when I sit in the car or in chairs.
I also have HNH's G-26 Kydex only holster (no leather interior) which I also like - same carry position, etc...
Honestly, it's just as snug as the G-19 holster. I think you could forego the leather (which is quite thin) and save some money.
But -- you only live once so I figured I'd try it out. Not disappointed at all (and they don't pay me to say that)!
:thumsup

Geoff
Who appreciates the follow-up!

·
Super Moderator
10,691 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I have to wonder what the advantage of leather lined Kydex is. If you want Kydex, go with that. If you want leather, go with that. Why both?

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Getting back to the original question, I have to wonder what the advantage of leather lined Kydex is. If you want Kydex, go with that. If you want leather, go with that. Why both?
When Garrett first designed the leather-lined kydex holsters, the theory was to make them quieter on the draw than standard kydex rigs...thus the product name "Silent Thunder".

·
Super Moderator
28,340 Posts
When Garrett first designed the leather-lined kydex holsters, the theory was to make them quieter on the draw than standard kydex rigs...thus the product name "Silent Thunder".
That's what I called the SBDs from my old friend Jake. A dozen years on I sure do miss that dog despite his "thunder" :rofl

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Because I'm stupid! Duh! :grin

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is quiter than the G-26 Kydex only.
I was originally going to mention that, but was fearful I would be perceived here as some nuance-nerd.

Besides, If I have to pull my weapon in a self-defense situation, the bad guy need not worry about the sound of the draw.
He'll have other noises to worry about. :grin

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
I have a Wilson holster that has a leather outside, a kydex core, then a leather inner layer.

I found that the inner leather layer slowed down the draw speed noticeably, until I rubbed holster oil into all the binding areas several times.

I don't like to use oil on leather, as it'll soften the leather over time. In this instance, I figured that the kydex core would make that a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I had a Silent Thunder some time ago but not for one of those glock things. Didn't care for it, all the leather seemed to do was soak up all of the oil on the surface of the gun and leave it completely dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts