Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

· Premium Member
12 Posts
I never let any of those metal detector monkeys touch any of my camera gear. Even TSA.
If it becomes an issue, I'll ask for their supervisor, then explain the replacement costs involved.
For a zoo, that might mean my Nikon 200 f/2 (with a D850 body, in the neighborhood of $8,200).

I'm OK for an inspection, but we'll agree up front exactly how that will be performed.
I had two Canon R5's that day with a EF 70-200 along with an EF 100-400. I was working on an idea for a freelance article about family activities at the time but the zoo blew their chance for free publicity. In fact I put the whole story on a back burner and decided to work on another project.

· Registered
58,272 Posts
Right up to the point where the establishment shuts down because no one attends it anymore due to their crazy policies. Honestly, I really don't need to go to any of these places anymore. I'm more than happy to stay clear of them.

Emptying the bag yourself won't help, because they'll take individual items and inspect them directly. And I'd be very surprised they'd let you touch the bag or anything in it while it is under inspection. This, as someone could hide/conceal something via slight of hand while emptying.

I almost had a tangle with the TSA in an Airport line over mishandling an item. It was probably one of my dive computers and he was mishandling it. I reached over the counter to show him how it works. He backed away quickly, item in hand, and shouted "DO NOT APPROACH ME WHILE I'M INSPECTING!" I shouted back, "BUT YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT! YOU'RE GOING TO DESTROY IT!" He then threatened to kick me off my flight and have me arrested. He then took the item to the other side of the TSA area and out of my view. 10 minutes later he returned it. and he got pi$$ed off at me when I stood there and check it myself for damage. Damn, I hope I never get this guy again.

But it does raise the issue of how to transport sensitive items via air and on the same flight. Short of an indpendent shipping service, it's going to be difficult.
Checked luggage, and you'll have packed it correctly so no matter of mishandling the bag will damage the equipment

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Checked luggage, and you'll have packed it correctly so no matter of mishandling the bag will damage the equipment
The problem with that approach, at least concerning some high-end camera lenses, is that the lead in the glass (sometimes) makes the item opaque to x-ray scanners -- and then they open the bag for a manual search. I never bag-check camera gear. 100% carry on, or I find another way to get it to my destination. (I don't trust the airlines, cruise lines, etc...)

· Registered
8,623 Posts
The problem with that approach, at least concerning some high-end camera lenses, is that the lead in the glass (sometimes) makes the item opaque to x-ray scanners -- and then they open the bag for a manual search. I never bag-check camera gear. 100% carry on, or I find another way to get it to my destination. (I don't trust the airlines, cruise lines, etc...)
Agreed. If the TSA were not able to open/inspect checked baggage on their own (and not within your presence), it might be different. if the checked baggage scan has a hit, call the pax back to check-in or wherever it may be, and have them watch while the TSA inspects. Lock it up after done and then you (and your bag) are on their way. I guess I've been a bit lucky in that I've used TSA locks, and when a bag of mine was opened, it was locked back up. I used to position my bag zippers so I could detect a potential opening.

Then again, the other issue is just general baggage handlers ripping off checked bags. I don't trust anything of value in my checked bags And that's why I used to carry ojn a ton of stuff, especially when on a diving trip. More than I should, I admit, but....

· Registered
8,623 Posts
That's the thing, Brownie. The TSA will "undo" all that good packing. If I had a dive computer, say, packed very carefully and sealied in bubble wrap, they would tear away at that bubble wrap and not replace it when they're done. They might put it back in the box it came in, but not re-wrap it.That's a problem.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
That's the thing, Brownie. The TSA will "undo" all that good packing. If I had a dive computer, say, packed very carefully and sealied in bubble wrap, they would tear away at that bubble wrap and not replace it when they're done. They might put it back in the box it came in, but not re-wrap it.That's a problem.
...of they might not re-wrap it up at all and just put it in their pocket instead.
Baggage handler theft is not a new thing. :poop:

And I hear you about the carry-on "pack mule" thing.

· Registered
58,272 Posts
Interesting, when I checked a bag it was locked with the only keys with me. Never had a checked bag opened by tsa or the airlines nor brought back to me to open for either other than when I declared a firearm in the bag going to the belly of the plane

· Registered
1,906 Posts
Interesting, when I checked a bag it was locked with the only keys with me. Never had a checked bag opened by tsa or the airlines nor brought back to me to open for either other than when I declared a firearm in the bag going to the belly of the plane
Likewise.

I did have an interesting experience the last time I flew out of Sky Harbor, the guy at the baggage check (Southwest, I'm thinking) called TSA guy over as soon as I mentioned firearm. We went to a nearby room where he swabbed the entire bag for GSR/explosives and then went through everything in it. Inept security theater at its most glaring.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
I had an interesting experience years ago at Tampa International. (post 9/11).
Basically, I was transporting a demo unit which was housed in a blank 8"x10"x4" NEMA-4 metal box.
Of course, they could not see into it via x-rays.
I offered to open it up for them to peek inside -- but they DID NOT want to do that (which I thought at the time was very odd).
They actually stopped me from opening it.
They swabbed the outside, ran it though the x-ray a couple more times, and then sent me on my way.

Still not as interesting as the Atlanta airport story where they TSA agent was wanding my shoes / feet and could not understand why the handheld wand kept going off.
Hint: I was sitting next to one of their metal file cabinets.

· Registered
8,623 Posts
Nah, I've had several checked bags locked with TSA approved locks opened by their master keys. They even put a placard in the bag that says, "Your bag was opened and inspected by the TSA." Now, of course, they relocked it once finished, but you could tell they were in there.

· Registered
1,999 Posts
I flew to Austin, Tx out of Gainesville with a firearm in a TSA approved case. It was like watching a 3 ring circus act as to who was going to give the approval to accept the baggage. Flying back...."oh, you have a firearm...ho hum, thank you and have a good flight"!

Reactions: Rick McC.

· Registered
4,911 Posts
Interesting, when I checked a bag it was locked with the only keys with me.
Don't know when this was, but as of now the rules are that they can, and will, open any bag that they find "suspicious." If it is locked with a TSA approved lock then they have a master key and will open it that way. If it is locked with something OTHER than an approved lock (for which they have a master) then they will cut the lock off to open it.

Of course, this is only those bags they decide are "suspicious." My guess is that's only a small percentage of all bags, so there's a good chance that an unapproved lock will get through undamaged.

· Registered
5,330 Posts
Maybe someone could rub gunpowder residue all over the lock, and then sit back while the TSA tries to find the illicit contraband.
I'd be willing to supply the popcorn for something like that.

· Registered
58,272 Posts
Don't know when this was, but as of now the rules are that they can, and will, open any bag that they find "suspicious." If it is locked with a TSA approved lock then they have a master key and will open it that way. If it is locked with something OTHER than an approved lock (for which they have a master) then they will cut the lock off to open it.

Of course, this is only those bags they decide are "suspicious." My guess is that's only a small percentage of all bags, so there's a good chance that an unapproved lock will get through undamaged.
Never had a lock cut on a checked bag, and they were always locked. Of course there wasn't anything they'd deem suspicious in the bag either.

· Registered
58,272 Posts
Maybe someone could rub gunpowder residue all over the lock, and then sit back while the TSA tries to find the illicit contraband.
I'd be willing to supply the popcorn for something like that.
Indianapolis Indiana, few years ago returning from a weekend of training sheriffs deputies at their annual week long conference, I got pulled out of line by a tsa agent after the dog hit on me as I passed it.

Agent asked me if I had any explosives on me or in the carry on. No, I just trained up the deps from different depts at their annual conference. He thought maybe there was gun powder residue on my clothes or shoes. I told him that made sense as I'd retie one of the sneakers while training, and of course there was gun residue on my hands.

He said to grab my bag and head to the gate. Could have been a BS story for all he knew. But I wasn't put through a cavity search in some back room so that was a relief :eek:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts