Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Administrator
32,986 Posts
I take it that Zoo Tampa is privately owned/operated and not a city or state facility. :dunno

· Registered
4,866 Posts
Location1101 W. Sligh Avenue, 33604 Tampa, Florida , United States
Coordinates
28.0133°N 82.4697°W
Land area63 acres (25 ha)
No. of animals1,300+ [SUP][1][/SUP]
MembershipsAZA[SUP][2][/SUP]
Websitehttp://www.lowryparkzoo.org

ZooTampa at Lowry Park
ZooTampa at Lowry Park is a 63-acre (25 ha) nonprofit zoo located in Tampa, Florida. In 2009, Lowry Park Zoo was voted the #1 Family Friendly Zoo in the US by Parents Magazine,[SUP][3][/SUP] and is recognized by the State of Florida as the center for Florida wildlife conservation and biodiversity (HB 457). The zoo is operated by the Lowry Park Zoological Society, an independent 501(c)(3) charitable organization.

· Administrator
32,986 Posts
^^^^
There you go; it's their monkeys so it really is their circus. So they can prohibit anything they want.

· Registered
7,908 Posts
^^^^
There you go; it's their monkeys so it really is their circus. So they can prohibit anything they want.
Including future sales from admissions.

· Administrator
32,986 Posts
Including future sales from admissions.
Yup, mine and I presume yours, as well as many other people not willing to abdicate their responsibility for their own safety. Scroom!

Reactions: Rick McC.

· Registered
56 Posts
Tampa Zoo is owned by the City. It is located in a publicly owned park. However, to my knowledge the right of a private entity which leases public property used for the benefit of the public, to ban firearms has not been established in the courts one way or the other. I'm sure without the legislature chiming in, a judge would not hesitate to rule in favor of the zoo, and have you locked behind bars with zero sympathy.

This is a HUGE loophole in state preemption, and should be closed. As of yet, the RINO's have declined to do so.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Was voted the #1 Family Friendly Zoo in the US by Parents Magazine. That says it all about EDC in the zoo!

· Premium Member
12 Posts
I went there last year and they were wanting then. I anticipated it and as such left my hardware in the car. What pissed me off was their treatment of my camera gear. They were extremely7 careless taking gear out of the bag almost dropping one of my bodies. I tried to complain to management once inside and they literally said that they "could do nothing" and if I didn't like it we could leave...so I did. Never to return! I won't share my money with idiots.

· Registered
8,566 Posts
I went there last year and they were wanting then. I anticipated it and as such left my hardware in the car. What pissed me off was their treatment of my camera gear. They were extremely7 careless taking gear out of the bag almost dropping one of my bodies. I tried to complain to management once inside and they literally said that they "could do nothing" and if I didn't like it we could leave...so I did. Never to return! I won't share my money with idiots.
Just curious... did they refund your ticket money? I would have insisted on it. And I would have advised them I'd be filing suit against the park for property damage. Did they have any disclaimer signs posted (ie. "All property subject to search and we are not responsible for any damage that occurs as a result")?

· Registered
5,294 Posts
I never let any of those metal detector monkeys touch any of my camera gear. Even TSA.
If it becomes an issue, I'll ask for their supervisor, then explain the replacement costs involved.
For a zoo, that might mean my Nikon 200 f/2 (with a D850 body, in the neighborhood of $8,200).

I'm OK for an inspection, but we'll agree up front exactly how that will be performed.

· Registered
21,770 Posts
is anyone really surprised that this is happening?...it seems mass shootings have become a part of life and many people are scared they are going to become a victim...nobody knows who the good guys and bad guys are so the only way they know how to prevent is to do what they can to try to stop any guns at the gate...you can bloviate about your rights and not go to these places all you want...the simple facts are this makes people feel safer...regardless whether it actually makes them safer or not...get used to it...there is enough campaigning around protecting the public by limiting gun availability to keep it going for a very long time...

as far as damaging your equipment..i would guess the reason they said they couldnt do anything is because it wasnt damaged...no injury no foul...maybe a good answer would have been "we're sorry and we'll speak to our people about proper care"...that is not knowing how you approached them...in the future i would suggest you empty the contents of your bag yourself...

Reactions: brownie

· Registered
8,566 Posts
is anyone really surprised that this is happening?...it seems mass shootings have become a part of life and many people are scared they are going to become a victim...nobody knows who the good guys and bad guys are so the only way they know how to prevent is to do what they can to try to stop any guns at the gate...you can bloviate about your rights and not go to these places all you want...the simple facts are this makes people feel safer...regardless whether it actually makes them safer or not...get used to it...there is enough campaigning around protecting the public by limiting gun availability to keep it going for a very long time...
Right up to the point where the establishment shuts down because no one attends it anymore due to their crazy policies. Honestly, I really don't need to go to any of these places anymore. I'm more than happy to stay clear of them.

as far as damaging your equipment..i would guess the reason they said they couldnt do anything is because it wasnt damaged...no injury no foul...maybe a good answer would have been "we're sorry and we'll speak to our people about proper care"...that is not knowing how you approached them...in the future i would suggest you empty the contents of your bag yourself...
Emptying the bag yourself won't help, because they'll take individual items and inspect them directly. And I'd be very surprised they'd let you touch the bag or anything in it while it is under inspection. This, as someone could hide/conceal something via slight of hand while emptying.

I almost had a tangle with the TSA in an Airport line over mishandling an item. It was probably one of my dive computers and he was mishandling it. I reached over the counter to show him how it works. He backed away quickly, item in hand, and shouted "DO NOT APPROACH ME WHILE I'M INSPECTING!" I shouted back, "BUT YOU'RE NOT DOING IT RIGHT! YOU'RE GOING TO DESTROY IT!" He then threatened to kick me off my flight and have me arrested. He then took the item to the other side of the TSA area and out of my view. 10 minutes later he returned it. and he got pi$$ed off at me when I stood there and check it myself for damage. Damn, I hope I never get this guy again.

But it does raise the issue of how to transport sensitive items via air and on the same flight. Short of an indpendent shipping service, it's going to be difficult.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Right up to the point where the establishment shuts down because no one attends it anymore due to their crazy policies. Honestly, I really don't need to go to any of these places anymore. I'm more than happy to stay clear of them.
^^^ Unfortunately far to many members actually believe the majority of the population in this state are for the right to carry a firearm in public...not so I am afraid. Many feel owning a firearm is fine, but they refuse to think carrying one is safe and proper. Think about it...how many members in here are afraid open carry will bring signage as a force of law? That very thing tells me this is true as many people that own a gun at home for protection and have one in the store will put those signs up on their business. The NRA has to do a better job of getting people to believe the old saying that "A good person with a gun is the best defense from a bad person with a gun".

· Registered
8,566 Posts
^^^ Unfortunately far to many members actually believe the majority of the population in this state are for the right to carry a firearm in public...not so I am afraid.
Well, I don't know about the "majority of the population," but I'm sure that the businesses who want to service the majority of the population (and, even more so, the tourists) and make money from them by their presence here in FL think that. Hence, the FRF and "The Rodent."

Many feel owning a firearm is fine, but they refuse to think carrying one is safe and proper. Think about it...how many members in here are afraid open carry will bring signage as a force of law?
Because "The Rodent / FRF" have tried to do it in the past. There's a history there The only way we got the FL legislature to stop that effort was to drop constitutional carry, at the time.

And, let's be clear. When you say "carrying a firearm in public," do you mean "open carry" or "concealed?" I do concur with you that our FL citizenry is a bit more queasy with "Open Carry." No so much with "concealed" ("Out of sight... out of mind").

· Premium Member
12 Posts
Just curious... did they refund your ticket money? I would have insisted on it. And I would have advised them I'd be filing suit against the park for property damage. Did they have any disclaimer signs posted (ie. "All property subject to search and we are not responsible for any damage that occurs as a result")?
Nope...I asked for a supervisor and was told that I would have to "step out of the line" while I waited and indeterminate period of time. I let them do their thing with my fingers crossed and then went to customer service kiosk inside the gate and asked for a manager...They lost me and I am happy to share my thoughts at any opportunity!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts