Florida Concealed Carry banner

FWC Free Online Hunter Education Course is good for requirement.

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of applying for my FL CCW. Fingerprints done electronically.

I took the free online FWC Hunter Education Course (linked to beasafehunter.org), passed.

This morning I called Dept. Agriculture, CCW.....

"Online FWC sanctioned course is perfectly acceptable. No live fire is required for CCW permit."

Don't need one for a hunting license at my age, either.

That being said, I think it's much better to have proper training but the statute is very clear if you can read it. It's easier to get this permit than most make it out to be, IMHOP.:dancingbanana

LOL, got two weeks before my prints run out of time!

#3 ·
Hi Nota,

When you finish the online course you print out the certificate. It has validating instructions on it for wherever you are sending it (to Dept Ag with applic). I was directly told by the Dept that this online course and certificate satisfied the requirements. I joined this forum over the weekend to ask about this but found it out before being added to the moderation queue. Information from most websites, ranges, instructors that I got was not completely correct regarding education and live fire. It's OK if they are in the business to make money from classes and want to make sure people actually handle a gun, but the statute reads clearly regarding simple requirements.
My fingerprints were already on file because I am a chiropractor (wtf?!) and those will never be destroyed, but my CCW fingerprints will be destroyed within 30 days and never on public info........!!!!! I am more dangerous because I'm a chiro than if I carry a concealed weapon, LOL. I guess these hands are registered weapons.
Happy Hunting!
Tom in St. Pete

#8 ·
I got the application from the Dept of Agriculture. A google search Florida Concealed Weapons Permit Application will bring it up for sure. Make sure you are getting it from the government site.... Fingerprinting is 5 bucks (max. per statute!) at almost any sheriff's office, I got mine at Pinellas Co Sheriff's office, they have a special fingerprinting office now across from the court bldg on 49th St. I paid 10 bucks for an electronic scan. Once they scan your pads they give you a card with your prints on it and a tracking number on it. You have 30 days to pay for the background check/submitting those scans/tracking number, otherwise you have to be fingerprinted again, LOL. I might miss it! Passport photo at CVS or Walgreens, etc......
The application is really not worse than seeing your primary, hahahahaha. Most of the thickness is common sense tips on filling it out...
Straight forward goes right along as long as there are no "problems"

Good Luck, see you all at the range or maybe out hunting artifacts!
Most of my experience comes from a young age, hunting pheasant and plinking rats at the dump, neither with a pistiol~! The exams given online at the end of each lesson and the final exam......I would have passed without the course. When I was born, there was no requirement except someone showed you, friend or relative. Hunting licenses still have no requirement if born before a certain date. A "Grandfather's Pass" I guess, LOL.

#11 ·
If the department of AG allows you to get your CWP with only the online portion of the hunter safety course you could then file a skills day exemption application to get your completed hunter safety certificate since you would be "licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state"

#12 ·
1) my daughter did the online GFC course last year, and indeed DID have to do live fire in order to get her certificate.

2) I don't think touting an ability to get a CCWL without a complete working knowledge of firearms is good in any way. folks who are trained and skilled screw up; firearms in the hands of the untrained is an accident waiting to happen.

Case in point, How many folks figure that once a magazine is removed from a semi auto weapon, that it is "unloaded and safe"?

#15 ·
1) my daughter did the online GFC course last year, and indeed DID have to do live fire in order to get her certificate.

2) I don't think touting an ability to get a CCWL without a complete working knowledge of firearms is good in any way. folks who are trained and skilled screw up; firearms in the hands of the untrained is an accident waiting to happen.

Case in point, How many folks figure that once a magazine is removed from a semi auto weapon, that it is "unloaded and safe"?
First, the whole point is that we should not need to get a permission slip from anyone in order to exercise our constitutionally protected rights.

Second, there is no statutory content nor skills based requirements for any CWFL course. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor satisfies the statutory 'competence with a firearm' requirement, regardless of content or duration.

#13 ·
From what I hear most experienced folks find the cwp classes a waste of time, mine sure was. So shouldn't the money that usually is spent on the churn them out mills be better spent on more specific training like threat focused or swamprats?

#14 ·
I see your points, sisf. The person at the D/AG said "There is no live fire requirement" and "completion of the online course" was satisfactory education.....could certainly mean I will still have to attend a "Skills Day" or whatever substitutes for it. I know an range instructor in Orlando but I don't want to travel over there, too far...maybe.

In St.Pete area, in your opinion what would be my choices for completing this simply, cheapest and quickly? I know I can take an entire course from many different sources. From Free to over 140 bucks for all kinds of different course interpretations, yet all meet the simplest requirements. The FWC is not giving one currently in Pinellas. I can use an instructor from a range or shop or personal individual, either meet there or works there......

I DO want the minimum of requirements for this and the whole CCW. It's my right and the statute provides for getting one easy. I can get a hunting license online just for paying for it (isn't that what the Dept of Ag really wants?) online and go out hunting tomorrow. Florida doesn't have horrible gun laws. We can carry to and from fishing/hunting activites without any special carry permit. No permits to own a "regular" gun.

I can't seem to find what they call a "skills day" locally that is simple. What is your take on this? I got fingerprinted too soon and will have to be redone, LOL.

I have my own business. I do not bow to the Almighty Dollar. I expect only live I give.
I have no problems with Bill Jackson's, but that's not the thing/place I'm looking for. And it'll just irritate me to sit in a class at all. I'm almost 60, not new to firearms. I wear my pants up under my manboobs, not hanging down showing my underwear, LOL.

#16 ·
To complete the FLORIDA hunter safety course you have two parts if you decide to do the online portion. You must complete that and then take a field day which includes firing more than one firearm. You cannot complete a State Hunter Safety Course without it. I teach the course for the state.

#18 ·
FCC forum changes mean the "New" button works a little differently at first because despite what each member's profile had read in the old FCC, in the new FCC everything is "new." After one has read everything posted in the current threads, then they'll need to click the "Mark all read" button and then only threads with new posts show up the next time they click the "New" button. The result seems to be that for now, more ancient threads are getting redirected until they recognize they're looking at old threads.

probably didn't explain that clearly. I'll try again when I'm not so tired.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.