Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I threw away all my frog lube. I was very disappointed because it seem to gum up and slow down the slide on 1911s.

I called them up a number of months ago and bitched. They had stiffed me as one of the folks promised to send me some sample kits for my local small police department and never did. I spoke at length with one of the representatives.

They have redone the formula apparently and now have a product called Froglube Extreme.

I’ve used the stuff several times now and I’m pleasantly surprised. The way I use it is to clean the pistol carefully, then use either their cleaner or rubbing alcohol to deep clean. Next, I heat the parts with a hairdryer and then spray the frog lube liberally. I let it sit for a while and, per their directions, wipe it off. This stuff does seem to embed itself into the metal and it feels slick after the treatment.

A couple of days ago I fired a Glock that I had treated with frog lube and a couple other pistols that were lubricated in the normal way. When I tore them down to clean I found that the one treated with Froglube still felt slick and was way way easier to clean.

I use the frog lube on my carry pistols. It doesn’t seem to attract lint and dirt like other lubes. I’ve even tried it on a couple of 1911’s and so far I’m pleased. They have an interesting video on their website of two 1911s, one being lubed with their product and the other with conventional lube.

I’m not trying to sell this stuff, I hated the old formula. The only thing it was good for was preventing corrosion and the testing verified that. The new stuff, however, whatever the heck it’s made out of really seems to work. I could’ve cleaned the Glock the other day with just a dry patch.

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
Maybe time to give it another try. :unsure:

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I had a few pistols with FL applied, after a few months in storage the mold and mildew took some time to clean out. I had to do completely disassemble every pistol and run through a pretty thorough cleaning process. CZs are a ***** to reassemble. Therefore, I'm on the 'no thank you' list.

@Rick McC.I had not heard they did something about the mold. Not sure I care at that point. George Fennell has taken the time to explain Weapon Shield and I see no reason to deviate from what has been tried and true for so long.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I’ll need many more data points to convince me it’s any better than Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W-30.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the mold issue also years ago, what a darned mess! I swore I’d never use it again. In hindsight, I think I used too much. I think the active ingredient is poly-alpha-olefin which is the stuff in synthetic oil that gives it protective characteristics. They are very secretive about what it’s made out of. If it’s cooking oil, I’d like to find out and buy it a lot cheaper.

All I know is that side-by-side the new stuff worked better than conventional lube for me and was real easy to clean.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I had the mold issue also years ago, what a darned mess! I swore I’d never use it again. In hindsight, I think I used too much. I think the active ingredient is poly-alpha-olefin which is the stuff in synthetic oil that gives it protective characteristics. They are very secretive about what it’s made out of. If it’s cooking oil, I’d like to find out and buy it a lot cheaper.

All I know is that side-by-side the new stuff worked better than conventional lube for me and was real easy to clean.
I recall reading about a year ago that the primary ingredient was coconut oil, which would explain the need to heat it up, and its propensity to grow mold.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The MDS used to list Poly-alpha-olefin, but now silent. Guess it’s a secret. Whatever it is, it’s remarkably better than the old mold growing stuff. Seems like Coconut oil would burn off.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
The MDS used to list Poly-alpha-olefin, but now silent. Guess it’s a secret. Whatever it is, it’s remarkably better than the old mold growing stuff. Seems like Coconut oil would burn off.
It has a natural smoke point (where it starts to break down and burn) at around 450 degrees F, which is hotter than most guns will ever get.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
I recall reading about a year ago that the primary ingredient was coconut oil, which would explain the need to heat it up, and its propensity to grow mold.
Yes. There were many threads about both FL and another “newest-bestest” product who name I can’t recall (Fire Clean possibly), that were put through some pretty quantifiable testing regimens (spectrographic analysis perhaps; I don’t recall now).

Bottom line; both products were basically repackaged cooking oil, and I’ll bet the info could be found online pretty easily.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
OK, what am I missing here?

I remember when FrogLube (and a bunch of other wonder oils) came out and wondered what all the hoopla was about.

I carry 24/7/365. Rotate through a few sidearms during the seasons.

I clean the sidearms when needed, NOT every time they get used, like in a weekday match. Put a few hundred round matches through it and it gets cleaned.

Basic stuff though. I'm old school so Hoppe's #9 cleans well and Remoil appears to lube the inner workings nicely.

No mold, sludge, rust, or whatever the current crisis is with clean guns.

So what is the advantage of using the Frog Lube stuff? It cleans the guns, I get it. So does a lot of other stuff.

I don't believe I've ever had a gun grow mold on it and I've been cleaning guns for over 50 years now.

AD (just my two cents worth)

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Super Moderator
26,364 Posts
When I said "it might be time to give it another chance" or some sort earlier in this thread, it was more out of curiosity than anything else. I'm not planning to switch to some new fangled snake oil (unless Master Yoda, err brownie's got some to sell, 🤣 ) until I see real data that shows there's a real tangible benefit. Until then, I'm with Rick and others here; if it isn't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: brownie and frgood

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
When FL came out a few years ago, I tried it and really liked it. The process outlined by the OP was the same. I didn’t get the mold issue, but one day it gummed-up a carry gun so badly that I dumped it all. I lost all confidence in them and won’t go back.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
When FL came out a few years ago, I tried it and really liked it. The process outlined by the OP was the same. I didn’t get the mold issue, but one day it gummed-up a carry gun so badly that I dumped it all. I lost all confidence in them and won’t go back.
That was a common complaint I read often. If the firearm was left for a while after using the stuff; it was all gummed up, and unusable, until the product was thoroughly removed.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rick

Thats what happened to me with the old stuff. I lathered up some 1911s and quite some time later I pulled them out of the safe and noticed that the slide seemed to operate very slowly. When I field stripped them, they were all gummy and had to be cleaned very thoroughly. I threw it away and swore it off till I tried the new stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts