Florida Concealed Carry banner

Friend with a record wants to apply

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  High Seas Drifter 
#1 ·
Good morning,
As I mentioned in my introduction, now that I’ve applied, my wife and a couple of her friends are interested in doing so as well. One friend in particular has a bit of a checkered past. That I know of, there were 2 or 3 misdemeanor arrests for possession of marijuana, and a dui, spread out over 2 or 3 states in a period of about 5 years. The most recent was 2006, she has cleaned up her act since then. However, in 2016, while going through a bad breakup, she was baker acted here in Florida. The baker act resulted in her being evaluated for a few days then released with no further legal proceedings, and no charges or arrests associated. Long story short, she had been abused, had significant bleeding, but in her emotional state did not realize the extent of her injuries and rejected the offer of medical treatment, which led to the baker act.

So, reading the statues, I think she’s clear on the arrests part. None are disqualifying, and the most recent is 13 years old. A lot of people make mistakes and clean up their act.

I also think she’s clear on the baker act- my understanding is unless she is committed or ruled incompetent by a court, it’s not disqualifying. Her experience ended with belong released after a few days, no court involvement. I also read somewhere in the statute about a 3 year period that may apply, which it’s been longer than.

Most of this info has been relayed to me by my wife so I’m not really sure of any other details other than I mentioned. I did ask my wife to verify with her some basic eligibility questions, such as felonies, domestic charges, restraining order, completed terms of probation, etc. and everything was good with those items.

I think the challenge may be in FDACS obtaining disposition records from the prior charges from multiple states. She walked away from that abusive relationship with the clothes on her back and does not have any type of documentation for any of it- she had kept it until that point.

This is a person without funds for an attorney, nor to waste on an application fee that is likely to be denied. So, any experiences with someone with this much of a record being approved? I’m willing to help her with the legwork of dogging up records if need be, I’m good at that sort of stuff. Does anyone see anything in the statutes I’m not seeing that would disqualify her based on the above facts?

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm niether an attorney nor experienced enough with someone of her background to be of any help and honestly, there's so much there on the surface that it's likely going to take the assistance of legal counsel to sort out and get to the bottom of. However, I can suggest she join FloridaCarry.org ($25/year) and then see if their lead counsel, Eric Friday can at least talk with her over the phone or email to get some idea of the plausibility.
:popcorn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.