Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always amazed with the knowledge base of the members here.

15 year old fridge is not cooling properly.

Any easy fix I can try.

If not, then does anyone know an honest repair man in the Ormond Beach area.

I'm old and don't want to get taken advantage of

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
When you say not cooling properly, too hot or freezing up your food?

·
Super Moderator
29,712 Posts
🍿

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
What type of fridge? Top freezer, side by side, bottom freezer? Make?

Is the freezer frosted up or is that warm as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,369 Posts
Is it bigger then a bread box? :unsure:

Is it plugged in? :unsure:

Is there power to the outlet? :unsure:

Is there power to the house? :unsure:

I am always amazed with the knowledge base of the members here
I know we’re good but a little more info might help our diagnosis of the issue you are experiencing.

🤣

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
First thing clean the coils, remove acess panel and use the vacum cleaner or use compressed air you need to do it every 2 years. It has worked for me many times.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I am always amazed with the knowledge base of the members here.

15 year old fridge is not cooling properly.

Any easy fix I can try.

If not, then does anyone know an honest repair man in the Ormond Beach area.

I'm old and don't want to get taken advantage of
Well, if it's a Whirlpool, count your blessings.
15 years of hassle-free use, in Whirlpool-time, would see the pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock.

But, let's try to be more practical...
If it's a Whirlpool, go out to your tool shed and select the biggest hammer you can find.
Then, take your shoe off and whack your pinky toe as hard as you can to teach yourself to never buy a Whirlpool refrigerator ever again.
If need be, take the hammer (and cotton gauze bandages) with you to the store so you are not tricked or tempted by the new refrigerator salesman into buying another Whirlpool.

And finally, if you do somehow manage to bring home another whirlpool, just get it over with and have a trusted friend or neighbor (or even the refrigerator salesman) bury you in it out in the backyard.
You can thank me later.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Don't buy a maytag made in china, the coil cleaning will work just try it takes 10 min and it's free.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't buy a maytag made in china, the coil cleaning will work just try it takes 10 min and it's free.
Most likely cause is a build up of dust bunnies on coils. CAREFULLY vacuum them. Just went through this same thing last month.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
With how things are made 10 to 13 years is a well lived life for a fridge.
Sorry people demanded and bought cheaper making it rewarding to make things cheaper.
Appliances have taken a huge hit in the durability and longevity area of design and manufacturing.

Reactions: Marilyn

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
With how things are made 10 to 13 years is a well lived life for a fridge.
Sorry people demanded and bought cheaper making it rewarding to make things cheaper.
Appliances have taken a huge hit in the durability and longevity area of design and manufacturing.
Agree completely.

Said fridge above (Whirlpool POS) has been repaired at least (5) times for ice maker issues, and not staying cold.
And the last time, I had to fix it myself after the repair folks said they couldn't get the motherboard for it anymore (it had charred circuit boards where some relays used to be).
Luckily, I'm a very adept electrical engineer (if I don't say so myself). :)

Whereas the no-frills Frigidaire refrigerator out in the hot garage has been working perfectly now going on 20 years.
No coil cleaning (as if I could even get to them). Thing runs fine.
Except now that I've talked about it openly, it will probably break this weekend. (Thanks a lot.) :)

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Unplug it and empty, then vacuum all dust from coils under neat and behind back carboard panel. If you have a compressor blowing the dust off with air is easier. You will need bring it outside for this. Then leave fridge unplugged for a couple days. The evaporator coils inside back panel of fridge are probable frozen with ice build up. This is common with whirlpools even though they are self defrosting. If you have the mechanical ability you can remove the back inside panel and inspect it for ice. Its pretty easy to do, a few screws hold it in.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
Also, if you remove inside panel and see ice build up, check drain hole for blockage. This can also ice to build up on coils.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks for all the input.

Got up at dawn and opened the back. Fan was pretty gunked up with lots of dust. Coils of course were very dusty.

Cleaned and vacuumed as per the recommendations above.

Now just waiting...

I'm old and can't get down on the floor as much as I needed to for this job. We will see if I got I clean enough.

The Kenmore side by side has been good to me for 15 years. it has stopped cooling over the last few days. Update when I see signs of life...

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Agree completely.

Said fridge above (Whirlpool POS) has been repaired at least (5) times for ice maker issues, and not staying cold.
And the last time, I had to fix it myself after the repair folks said they couldn't get the motherboard for it anymore (it had charred circuit boards where some relays used to be).
Luckily, I'm a very adept electrical engineer (if I don't say so myself). :)

Whereas the no-frills Frigidaire refrigerator out in the hot garage has been working perfectly now going on 20 years.
No coil cleaning (as if I could even get to them). Thing runs fine.
Except now that I've talked about it openly, it will probably break this weekend. (Thanks a lot.) :)
For reasons stated above I will not date one of our home refrigerators.
However I refuse to buy a new shop fridge. Since 2000 I have bought 4 refrigerators used for $125 or less for work.

Reactions: BeerHunter

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have an older hotpoint in my utility room. Got it used. Was cooling good at first, then got to where it was not cooling so good in fridge or freezer. Cleaned coils as mentioned above. They were dirty but made no difference. Wound up being a problem with defrost controls. Ordered parts off e-bay. IIRC, cost about 40.00. Works like a champ now.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Mine was cold in the freezer but not cold enough in the fridge part a few years ago.
The fan that circulates the cold from the freezer to the fridge part had quit working. They replaced the fan, and all was good again.
It’s pretty new; only 19 years old.

The old one in our place next door is at least in it’s 30’s, but most likely about 40. The ice machine quit about 20 years ago, and I had it replaced with a used one. That damn thing still makes more ice and much quicker than the machine in the “newer one.”

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I'm off to Lowes to buy a new fridge. I will let you know what excuse they use to explain the high prices. I speculate they will blame it on the price of steel or maybe the lack of assembly line workers due to covid.

·
Super Moderator
6,210 Posts
Well, I'm off to Lowes to buy a new fridge. I will let you know what excuse they use to explain the high prices. I speculate they will blame it on the price of steel or maybe the lack of assembly line workers due to covid.
Cost of shipping from China has almost tripled since this time last year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts