Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little info for those who own four inch 1911s.

I’ve been having a time for the last few years finding a recoil spring with over an 11 pound rating for my Wilson Professional. Wilson doesn’t list any over 11 pounds, and a couple of hours spent searching online wasn’t turning up anything. So, when I saw a plethora of recoil springs for Commanders (4 1/4” 1911s), I said the hell with it, and ordered a couple of 13 pounders.

I figured that when I received them, I’d check for spring bind, and either get lucky, or have to cut a coil or two off.

I got lucky! A Commander sized recoil spring will fit in a four inch 1911 with no spring bind at all.

So, FYI, 1911 guys. :grin

Edit: The recoil spring comes in a set which includes a firing pin spring, and is made by Wolff. I found them at Midway. Interestingly enough; I visited the Wolff website, and could NOT find them there at all.

·
Registered
15,026 Posts
I run a 13 pound in my Kimber tactical pro 4 inch

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I have no idea what’s in my two 4”ers.

Why did you need a heavier spring? To shoot hotter loads through it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have no idea what’s in my two 4”ers.

Why did you need a heavier spring? To shoot hotter loads through it?

Actually, my Pro is a 9mm. Standard spring weight for a Commander sized 1911 in .45 acp is 18 pounds.

I wanted a 13 pounder because 10 round 9mm 1911 mags require a good bit more force to feed the first round or two than a nine round 9mm mag. New 10 round mags are actually problematic with the lighter rated recoil springs until the mag springs have taken their set, and the problem is exacerbated when using hollow point ammo. A full sized 9mm 1911 is a bit more forgiving, due to the greater mass in the slide compared to the shorter models.

I’ve seen the same thing in new .45 acp eight round 1911 mags.

·
Super Moderator
26,332 Posts
Great info, Rick. Thanks! :2thumsup

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Wolff springs is funny. If you don't see what you need, just email them.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Actually, my Pro is a 9mm. Standard spring weight for a Commander sized 1911 in .45 acp is 18 pounds.

I wanted a 13 pounder because 10 round 9mm 1911 mags require a good bit more force to feed the first round or two than a nine round 9mm mag. New 10 round mags are actually problematic with the lighter rated recoil springs until the mag springs have taken their set, and the problem is exacerbated when using hollow point ammo. A full sized 9mm 1911 is a bit more forgiving, due to the greater mass in the slide compared to the shorter models.

I’ve seen the same thing in new .45 acp eight round 1911 mags.
10-4. That makes sense, thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts