Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the forum traffic has been much lower recently than in past years, what gives? Anyone else notice a difference?

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
Too many want to talk politics instead of the stated purpose of FCC. Many have moved on as a result.

Reactions: Caleb

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Every forum I’ve known seems to have a shelf life. That’s just reality. IMHO this one’s decline is multi-pronged .....

11 some odd years ago, when I joined, this forum was fast becoming THE premier source online for anything 2A related. Especially in regards to Florida. We held that title for some time. But the knowledge base went well beyond state lines. With hundreds of members and dozens of active, regular contributors. We had experts representing self defense, legal concerns and armament and many things in between. New members poured in finding us in search of Florida related 2A information.

Ive long felt the first coffin nail was hit when the forum founder sold the forum to companies less concerned with content and more with monetizing. At one point the forum took on a vapid anti-establishment tone through several members who rode the alt-right extreme bus. Which drove away a significant amount of the regular contributors. Even I bailed on the joint f awhile.

We’ve been circling the drain ever since. What’s left are folk who’s been through every discussion multiple times and likely tired of them. Finally, the last 3 or 4 years has turned political. Likely pushing away even more folks and scaring away new traffic landing here in search of what they thought to be a gun forum.

I know I’m probably in the minority here, but I don’t think the new format helps. I personally hate it. I think it’s clunky, cheap in appearance, bogged down in advertisements, and nowhere near as intuitive or user friendly as vBulletin. Just my humble opinion there. FWIW

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I disagree with Radtek on the new forum interface. I find it MUCH cleaner and intuitive. Easier to navigate. Less cluttered. I don't see ANY ads. Zero. I use an adblocker, which allowed some ads through on the old forum. Now? Zero ads. Not a one. :)

I've been on social media forums since before Algore invented the internet. I was on gun forums on the old compuserve service back in 1992. Internet forums are like SNL... ups and downs.

I think right now, people are just TIRED. Tired of ALL the sh*t that is going on. I know that every ****ing day, I'm EXHAUSTED. Exhausted thinking about the turmoil. Exhausted worrying about my business, which is dead slow right now. Exhausted thinking about the future, my children's futures. Exhausted thinking about the stupidity of the new mask orders and the threats of fines or arrest for non-compliance. Exhausted by the partisan politics and the polarization of America. Exhausted worrying about whether my business could be destroyed by rioters.

I'm tired!

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
PS... FWIW, the Sniper's Hide forum is HOPPING. Granted it's a national forum rather than a state-focused forum like this one.

I think the FCC pendulum will swing back. Though, I don't know when. I'd like to see more discussions about guns, shooting, gear, technique, strategies, defensive scenarios, etc. I'm not averse to discussing politics. But, as I mentioned before, I think political discussions contribute to the fatigue factor.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
It just simply goes down to when people go to the forum they get a message that """OPPS WE HAVE A PROBLEM""" and do not click on the new balloon to open it up to them.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Not much new and innovative stuff to talk about.
Forbid anyone from repeating a subject.
Leave the politics in the boiler room.
All that's left is recent events or reminiscing.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Not much new and innovative stuff to talk about.
Forbid anyone from repeating a subject.
Yeah... can't do that. Subjects are going to get repeated... and beaten to death. People who get upset about that, AND then post their objection to a repetitive subject, need to get a life.

Newbies happen. Newbies want to ENGAGE on a forum that's new to them. It's easy to just post their question. Doing a search can be productive, but it's not ENGAGING. And, the primary purpose of SOCIAL media is to ENGAGE.

If we think of it that way, we'll get a lot more ENGAGEMENT. You can't complain about a forum being "dead" and also complain about people trying to engage and interact because the subject has been covered before. You know... be f**king social! 🤩

·
Registered
371 Posts
I believe that the changes made have slowed the traffic down. For some of us it is a slow learning curve finding our way around.
With less traffic I find there is less for me to comment on. This just makes it worse. Hopefully things will pick up."time will tell".

·
Registered
839 Posts
I have noticed the forum traffic has been much lower recently than in past years, what gives? Anyone else notice a difference?
I think the forum format change had a lot to do with it, maybe everything. Its hard to argue that the (political) topics do not interest people when the drop in traffic coincided perfectly with the forum upgrade. People are creatures of habit and when the comfortable becomes difficult they lose interest.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I really don't understand the objections to the forum interface upgrade. The new version is SO much better, IMO. Cleaner. Faster. Easier to upload photos... don't have to host the images somewhere else to post them here. So, adding images is MUCH easier and MUCH faster.

I like the "NEW" button on the top right. Easier to update the feed.

Overall, so much better.

·
Registered
54,302 Posts
Get rid of the political section, there'd be very little discussion on any topic, the place would die on the vine.

HOWEVER, there's a wealth of knowledge posted here, and all one needs to do is search for it. Most people won't search or don't know how to search, so that wealth of knowledge goes unnoticed.

This place has been institutionalized in recent years. IMOW, I've basically stopped shooting and training/training others. My interest in guns has waned significantly, my interest in SD topics remains, but very few want to discuss SD topics/tactics and even fewer new members ask questions in this regard.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
LOL racer. I’m old and admittedly resistant to change. It’s been what....a few months now, perhaps more? I’m still try to learn my way around. I’m a “push buttons” learner. In other words I push a button “what does this do?” a few times before I learn. :LOL: :LOL:

I visit on an iPad. I run two ad blocks. For some reason I’m still inundated with @#$& ads! And they the flashy kind! 🤬 However I admit it’s probably user error. Again, I’m old and slow.

As far as repeat topics are concerned, I don’t recall this group (at least the core group) ever getting seriously grumpy with new members asking a legitimate question. In fact that’s always been one of the more impressive things about this group. The willingness to help folks. But I do think those repeater questions don’t get as much actual discussion because we as a group could be tired.

And lastly, you’re right. I think we’re all extremely exhausted right now. Aside from current events like this pandemic stuff and riots, we’ve spent the last 3 years watching the total breakdown of civility and common sense from the left as their temper tantrum has escalated. The sheer stupidity we see now is absolutely exhausting.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
LOL racer. I’m old and admittedly resistant to change. It’s been what....a few months now, perhaps more? I’m still try to learn my way around. I’m a “push buttons” learner. In other words I push a button “what does this do?” a few times before I learn. :LOL: :LOL:

I visit on an iPad. I run two ad blocks. For some reason I’m still inundated with @#$& ads! And they the flashy kind! 🤬 However I admit it’s probably user error. Again, I’m old and slow.

As far as repeat topics are concerned, I don’t recall this group (at least the core group) ever getting seriously grumpy with new members asking a legitimate question. In fact that’s always been one of the more impressive things about this group. The willingness to help folks. But I do think those repeater questions don’t get as much actual discussion because we as a group could be tired.

And lastly, you’re right. I think we’re all extremely exhausted right now. Aside from current events like this pandemic stuff and riots, we’ve spent the last 3 years watching the total breakdown of civility and common sense from the left as their temper tantrum has escalated. The sheer stupidity we see now is absolutely exhausting.
Agree with everything... except that you use an ipad! ;) Get yourself a PC! I do all this on a Windows laptop. With Ad Blocker, I'm not seeing ANY ads. Zippo! Perhaps I shouldn't admit that, since these forums make their money selling ad space that will get SEEN.

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
I disagree with Radtek on the new forum interface. I find it MUCH cleaner and intuitive. Easier to navigate. Less cluttered. I don't see ANY ads. Zero. I use an adblocker, which allowed some ads through on the old forum. Now? Zero ads. Not a one. :)

I've been on social media forums since before Algore invented the internet. I was on gun forums on the old compuserve service back in 1992. Internet forums are like SNL... ups and downs.

I think right now, people are just TIRED. Tired of ALL the sh*t that is going on. I know that every ****ing day, I'm EXHAUSTED. Exhausted thinking about the turmoil. Exhausted worrying about my business, which is dead slow right now. Exhausted thinking about the future, my children's futures. Exhausted thinking about the stupidity of the new mask orders and the threats of fines or arrest for non-compliance. Exhausted by the partisan politics and the polarization of America. Exhausted worrying about whether my business could be destroyed by rioters.

I'm tired!

Agree whole-heartedly on the fatigue over everything you mention. (y)

Absolutely loved and dearly Madeline Kahn's humor! 🤣

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
I think the forum format change had a lot to do with it, maybe everything. Its hard to argue that the (political) topics do not interest people when the drop in traffic coincided perfectly with the forum upgrade. People are creatures of habit and when the comfortable becomes difficult they lose interest.
Couldn't disagree more! The explosion of political threads happened 3-4 years before the forum upgrade.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Agree with everything... except that you use an ipad! ;) Get yourself a PC! I do all this on a Windows laptop. With Ad Blocker, I'm not seeing ANY ads. Zippo! Perhaps I shouldn't admit that, since these forums make their money selling ad space that will get SEEN.
(y) I do have a PC. I’ve had a grumpy old laptop for some time but it’s a nightmare to use. However I recently took my mom’s old desktop out of storage and upgraded the operating system from windows 7. It seems to be running well. I need a better monitor but it’s in play now.

I usually run Firefox with ad blockers. And you’re right, no ads. But, I’m an easy chair iPad in my lap guy when I’m just farting around. FWIW it was my mom’s iPad and has sentimental value. You can hate all you want, I wasn’t exactly an apple guy myself until I got her phone and iPad. They’re not getting replaced until they grenade. (Knock wood) ;)

·
Super Moderator
26,307 Posts
^^^^
Precisely! (y)

There was always a little went The Holdabeast and Oblamer duked it out for the 2008 election, and more over the last administration, but the explosion corresponded with TDS. 🤮

1 - 20 of 33 Posts