Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant believe I actually did this, but after compiling all my paperwork, I had the envelope electronically weighed and stamped at my office and submitted to the USPS outbox.. WITHOUT A RETURN ADDRESS!

I did this on 11/17 and am just realizing this now. I have no way of tracking the package since I didn't hand deliver it to a USPS office and request one..

I have the money order receipt, and tracked it, but no activity yet [I didn't think there would be, whether they received it or not]

The postage came out to $1.00 even... what if its wrong?

Now that I'm thinking, that bold black lettering on the envelope was right where it would have been stamped.. What if it doesn't scan??

We share an outbox with other suites... They'll never be able to track it back to me.

My SS#, photos, everything is in there.. I'm definatly getting concerned now.

I'm on hold waiting for the operator. The automated message said don't call until 45 days after you mail it, but I'll have a stroke by then if I don't find out--

I [email protected]#%ed up good this time

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Let me calm your fears on that little episode. I did the *exact* same thing with my husband's application. We filled out everything exactly like we were supposed to and even took copies of everything. I took it to the post office and only after the fact realized I didn't include a return mailing label on the outside of the envelope. It was truly out of my hands at that point.

Not a problem. My husband received his license before me. It has a way of working its way through the system. Unfortunately, if you just mailed it on the 17th we've all found out that it takes a good three or four weeks to even get your check cashed. Don't panic yet. You've done everything right down to the $1.00 for postage. That is what ours cost.

MamaBear, welcoming JohnnyCache to the site.

·
Registered
252 Posts
$1.00 should cover the postage. Calling won't help. It's about a 2 week wait before they open the envelopes. If you mailed it on the 17th, it'll be at least one more week from now before they can even tell you IF they have it. They are measuring the volume of applications by feet, the height of the pile stacked floor to ceiling.

I wouldn't waste time calling, and will all but guarantee you they won't be able to tell you anything. It may not have made it from the mail sorting facility to the Commissioner of Ag's office yet. Even once it does, they won't be able to find it in the stacks. From what other members have been told recently, it'll be about three weeks from mailing before they even have your name in the computer where they can tell you they've received it.

My advice, though you won't find it comforting in the least, is to have a little faith in the USPS, sit tight and wait for the money order to clear (which usually takes about three weeks from mailing). I mailed my application Oct 21 and the check cleared Nov 14.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You all are the best.. although I'm not whistling aloud, I'm still a great deal alleviated.

Only time will tell, but I feel a lot better!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Might as well settle down and settle in..its going to be awhile. Possibly 90 days or more..If you find yourself getting to anxious you can always come in here verbalize your frustrations..:D

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes, settle in for a long winters wait!!!! It might ba as late a February before you get your plastic:thumbsdwn

but like swamprat says, just come on the forum about once a day and let us know how the wait is going.

Since mamabear got her license, all the drama has left the forum...:rolf

BTW mamabear, how is the gun coming along on its repair??????

Welcome to the forum!!!!:drinks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did the exact same thing when I had my wife mail our applications in: I forgot to put return address labels on both envelopes and spaced telling my wife to send them return receipt. I realized this on October 4th, the day after my wife mailed them, and spent the next few weeks sweating and fretting...that is, until October 27th when I noticed that both checks had been posted by our bank.

It's easier said than done (trust me...I know), but take a deep breath and trust the system. It may be slow and have it's periodic glitches, but your application should be just fine.

It's been 49 days now since we mailed them off...but, who's counting?!:rolf

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Since mamabear got her license, all the drama has left the forum...:rolf

BTW mamabear, how is the gun coming along on its repair????????

Thanks for asking. Ruger has had my LCP since October 1. That is a full 7 weeks. They called last week and said they would call before they shipped it out but I haven't heard a word since. Now next week is Thanksgiving so I doubt I'll get it then.

I couldn't stand it any longer so last night I wore my dh's Walther PPS. I went to Target, then to a friend's house to drop off my dd for a sleepover. I picked up her son and took the boys to Tijuana Flatts for dinner. Then we back to my friend's house for a visit. NO ONE suspected a thing. That worked for me. I did not have a block of time to do Wally World so this had to do instead.

MamaBear

ps - if the board drags too much I'm quite certain I can find something else to whine about. :D

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
MammaBear,

We've got plenty of cheese now but may need a little whine to go with it. Sorry, couldn't help it. :laughing :dancingbanana :laughing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just over four weeks and they still don't have it - Now I'm really starting to sweat--

I plan on trying again on 12/31 [45 days after submission] and again on 1/20 [45 business days after submission].

If they Still don't have it by then, what should I do?

I'm assuming I'll need to contact USPS but how will they trace it back to the pick-up point? I know the digital stamp they apply at my office has the origin zip code on it, but its not linked to an account they can trace or anything. Hopefully the zip code will send the envelope to a local USPS center that I can negotiate with.

I feel like I've swallowed a spoonful of watch batteries.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I feel like I've swallowed a spoonful of watch batteries.
:rolf How does that feel.
They might have received it but it takes longer than 40 days for your application to be put into the system. Hang tough JohnyCache.

·
Registered
252 Posts
They might have received it but it takes longer than 40 days for your application to be put into the system. Hang tough JohnyCache.

+1 to that. It takes FOREVER for them to just OPEN the tons of mail they receive. Literally, people who pay for the return receipt will tell you it is usually postmarked back to you about three weeks after your initial mailing. Three weeks for them to receive and open the mail. It's often 5 or 6 weeks after you mail it before your application is keyed into the system such that the customer support person you call can tell you that they physically have it in their possession.

I've heard the process is relatively quick once it's actually in the system. They just have too much paper in the process. Once it's in the computer, it's just waiting for the prints to be checked and your criminal history request to be processed. That's a pretty fast procedure. Most of the wait time appears to be stacks upon stacks of envelopes just waiting to be opened.

- Str8Shooter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yikees! And I thought I was bad.. Johnny here freakin out 4 days after initial mailing!! That must be a record?? :D Hope all gets worked out in a timely fashion for ya JC.. ;)

·
653 Posts
I plan on trying again on 12/31 [45 days after submission] and again on 1/20 [45 business days after submission]
Ok check the math here dude. You are worrying yourself to the point you can't add.

Those yellow envelopes with all the official stuff and postage bar codes and stuff on them are rarely lost. Hand written envelopes or plain envelopes are more at risk. $1.00 postage for first class mail sounds about right. If you want to confirm it get another application package, fill it with all the paperwork and bring it to the PO and get the price of postage from them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I may have been one digit off on my math there.. apologies.

.. but either which way, they just cashed the money order so I feel very much relieved.

..You have to remember, I wasn't getting worked up because I was impatiently waiting to "pack heat".. I was concerned that my paperwork [ss#, photos, prints, addresses, etc..] had entered the postal system without a return address. I still believe that concern was legitimate.

·
Super Moderator
6,151 Posts
Plus you have to remember you just went through three holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's. That is a lot of time off for workers even if they only got one day each.

I'm not even going to tell you to be patient anymore. It's more fun to dig trenches and post about your laments. :rolf

The good news is that you've at least done something about it. Time is your enemy/friend here.

MamaBear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts