Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I guess Marine DI's don't mind being called "sir". When I was in Army basic if you called a drill sergeant "sir" you were going to be doing push-ups for a while. It was always "yes, Drill Sergeant" or "no, Drill Sergeant", but never "sir".

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Super Moderator
27,176 Posts
Or “don’t call me sir, I work for a living”
This! However, I believe the DIs for USN Officer Candidate School may purposely addressed differently during by the OCS students. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I think the proper term for Marines would be “Drill Instructor“. :unsure:

·
Super Moderator
27,176 Posts
I think the proper term for Marines would be “Drill Instructor“. :unsure:
That's what "DI" stands for. US Navy OCS Drill Instructors (DIs) are Marines, but not every Marine is a DI. ;) Or were you addressing someone else?

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
That's what "DI" stands for. US Navy OCS Drill Instructors (DIs) are Marines, but not every Marine is a DI. ;) Or were you addressing someone else?
I understand DI is the abbreviation. I also understand not every Marine is a DI. What I was trying to clarify, perhaps without the clarity I was looking for, is that the Army referred to their instructors as Drill Sergeants and the Marines were Drill Instructors.

I work with a guy that had retired from the Marines and was a drill instructor during his time. A co-worker mistakenly called him a drill sergeant one day. My boss, having been military himself and catching the faux paus, coyly asked if he was a drill sergeant or a drill instructor? (with a crap eating grin). He was quickly corrected that he had been a drill instructor.

·
Super Moderator
27,176 Posts
Great story and yes, Drill Instructors may have the Rank of Sergeant, but regardless of Rank, they're title is DI. The Army has Drill Sergeants! ;)

·
Registered
13,031 Posts
To a boot, everybody who’s not is “sir!”. BAMs being the exception, they are”Ma'am!”s. :p

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
13,455 Posts
In my time (aging myself), before political correctness. That smile alone would have gotten that kid knocked on his AZZ.

·
Registered
13,031 Posts
My experience too Bob. Did they build a better soldier that way? I think so but I may be wrong.

Yes BAM would also get you flattened.

lol, BAMs lived in “The Snake Pit” and spending a night there was a tactical challenge with truly severe consequences for you and the Bam, if caught. Only considered on a dare or if on a lengthy “restricted to base”. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts