Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting encounter this morning at the range. Unfortunately, I walked away feeling I could do more.

I ran into a group of like minded shooters that were at the plinking range working on some drills for self defense. As I was working on some pistols I had built, they assumed I was a go-to person, a position I do not ever want to be in. Nonetheless, one gentleman claimed his Taurus PT 111 was shooting 7" low at about 10 ft. and asked about how to adjust his sight. Taking him for his word, I simply described how to adjust fixed sights (lowering front sight vs. lowering rear sight, etc).
This was probably not the best advise as it became clear through later conversation that there was a discrepancy on what was his sight picture and at what distance he should be zero. Also, as it turned out, they were considering organizing themselves for church security at their church. The recent news is what led to the current initiative.

It is here I felt they should seek out a trainer that has a focus on this type of tactical situation. Some of their responses found me concerned for their safety. For example comments like, "I am a no stress person and do no get stressed", left me with no practical experience to dissuade. I found myself thinking of Brownie as this was a conversation that genuinely requires his presence.

So, in light of this little encounter, I am thinking I would like a small collection of business cards of trainers in the area to hand out. I'd like half a dozen cards, or so, to specifically steer these people. Additionally, There are, definitely, areas of focus for most trainers. For example, those that have success as a competition shooter, those for self-defense, and those that can provide practical experience for today's folks on how best to prepare to work as an usher/security in a church.

Is this an unreasonable ask? If not, I will post my mailing address in the hopes that you pros can send me a batch of your business cards that I can keep in my range bag. This is not a 'generate' business offer for you guys. It is an "You folks needs good training and you should really call xxx". This is for the Central folks area as I practice at CFRPC, VGHC, and occasionally Orlando Gun Club. So let's keep it in that vicinity.

·
Super Moderator
5,993 Posts
Bob Harvey has a security assessment business and training that they should consider.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
I believe that one "issue" with trainers is that they have to have a relationship with the range where they teach.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hence the request to collect various business cards that I can hand out.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Having trouble at TEN FEET?? Oy.

My local indoor range won't even allow targets that close. Minimum of 5 yards.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having trouble at TEN FEET?? Oy.

My local indoor range won't even allow targets that close. Minimum of 5 yards.
Yeah, they asked permission to go forward the line on our plinking range. We have bays, but he may not have been qualified to use those. Since the on duty stopped by, I saw no need to bring it up. Although, after watching them for a while, I felt the need to comment on some basic range safety. No lecture, just simple commands as needed.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I don’t want to speak for either of them, but it seems like ebl or Bob Harvey would be excellent choices for them. If they are going to provide church security, they need to be well trained to minimize the possibility of friendly fire casualties and to maximize the probability they will quickly neutralize the threat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts