1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Hi Brownie! I started looking back at some of the reviews for the various knives but I will need more time to digest everything a bit more thoroughly.

I have no knife training and i don't really have any day-to-day needs for a utility knife. That said, I recently saw a video of a person using a folding Ka-Bar from the weak side for weapon retention. It seemed like a very logical and effective approach should you find yourself having to defend your weapon on your strong side hip with one hand.

What are your thoughts on that knife? Is there something else you feel would be better in that role? Finally, is it a prudent approach for a person with no knife experience to even consider unless they are willing to put some time in basic knife training?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ron

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have a lot of experience with the folder K-Bar product. My search showed it's made of 3Cr13 ss which is a stainless steel, not the kind of steel I like personally, and this new steel they are using is untested to my knowledge for strength. The Rockwell hardness seems to be high, which would lead me to believe the blade would chip out on the edge if used hard.

The liner lock is one of the least reliable for strength and can be prone to unlocking at the worst time, especially the thin liner on that model. I don't trust em myself but a lot of people carry them and it's going to be personal preference.

I'd suggest looking for a lock back type folder, the lock is very strong and not prone to releasing under hard use. If I had to choose one model thats not that expensive yet durable I'd suggest the Spyderco Endura or Delica models. The Delica is smaller in blade length but very rugged and light.

A lot of people get stabbed/cut/killed by others with a blade, and most don't have any formal training in that area. Training and the knowledge of how to use a knife efficiently/effectively can make all the difference in a SD scenario but remember that it's not necessary to get the effect you desire either.

Carrying a knife on the off side of the gun is a good idea. I wrote on just this subject for the Mass Patrol Log, a monthly police publication who every officer in Mass received through their dept's back in 92 or so. It became mandatory reading at the State Police Academy for the new recruits going through at that time.

If you can open a folder one handed, you can reach across and cut the offending limb/hand off your gun without a lot of practice. It uses gross motor skills for the most part so it can be relied on fairly well under stress.

I'd peruse this link for informative on blades and using them for SD purposes. Mindset and tactics are also covered in many of the threads/posts and one could pick up many tips and tricks there:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'd be happy to help in any way I can with anyone's quest for blade knowledge/use.

Brownie

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Thanks very much Brownie! I'm going to read everything I can on the threatfocused website and then probably get a Spyderco as recommended.

I never owned a knife (being a NYC boy) but I believe that just like a gun, select something of fine quality, and you have it for a lifetime, provided it doesn't fall into the lake the next time i'm fishing! :D

I'll be in touch as I progress in my reading should I have any questions.

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More than welcome Ron, don't hesitate to ask.

I put on several defensive edged weapons classes in NYC years ago in the late 90's. They're very restrictive in the city, and it's my understanding it's getting harder all the time to carry any blade there.

Stay sharp

Brownie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts