Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post to this particular site. While I currently live in NY, I assure you I am not one of "them" lol. For some time I have wanted to get my permit in Florida, but I've been confused as to what the training requirement is. Taking a live fire pistol class in NY is a no-no because the state does not allow unlicensed individuals to come within a mile of a handgun; not even under supervision of an instructor. The only way to take a pistol live fire course is if I have the NY permit to possess (yes, you need two here: one to own, and one to carry, and it's 'may issue'), which I do not have that, and likely will not ever (and there is also a "target permit" which enables you to drive between the home and the range ONLY-no stops). :mad: Bureaucratic nonsense in NY is mindnumbing. NRA training courses that focus on basic long gun shooting, however, is in the realm of possibilities. I noticed the FL website mentioned that "any NRA training course" will do. How grounded in reality is this statement? If I am to take a specific pistol class, I'd need to drive many miles out of the state to do it, and I can't afford that right now. :dunno Does a rifle course cut it?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You could take a Basic NRA Rifle or Shotgun class and it would work. Also a NY Hunter Safety class should work. However, big difference between having the training to get a permit, and having the knowledge, skills, and attitude, to safely carry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fully understand your stance. I just want the process to begin for now; thank you for your prompt response.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
First, welcome to FCC! :drinks

Florida does not issue "non-resident" permits but rather issues a Florida Concealed Weapon License (FLCWL) to residents of other states. Once issued, your FLCWL will not have your address on it; the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (DOACS) maintains a record of your address.

As for the required training, were you ever a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and honorably discharged? If so, your DD214 counts for the training requirement. If not then you should be able to take a Hunter Safety Course or ANY NRA firearms safety course conducted there in NY. Note, that means a long gun based firearms safety course could fulfill the training requirement.

The governing Florida Statute (FS) is FS 790.06(2)(h), which states:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;

5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or

7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph. A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;

Additionally, information on the application process in Florida can be found from the DOACS website here.

Finally, since this was your first post, I would like to suggest that you go to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office, start your very own introduction thread, and tell us a little about yourself. That way, the rest of the FCC membership will know to properly welcome you!

Again, welcome to FCC! :drinks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi thank you for taking the time to reply! This is all very good news, and thanks for the welcome; I'll be doing the rifle course with my cousin, because he sorely needs the experience, as he doesn't even know how to shoot period lol.

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Hi thank you for taking the time to reply! This is all very good news, and thanks for the welcome; I'll be doing the rifle course with my cousin, because he sorely needs the experience, as he doesn't even know how to shoot period lol.
Some will argue that - ANY NRA course that includes "live fire" - will satisfy the requirements. As long as the course you are taking includes live fire then it is not worth starting a discussion about the live fire requirement. It is a moot point.

Oh, by the way...Welcome!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I don't need to have a permit in my home state first, do I? Went to the gun store today and he said that. Might just be trying to score money off me. I have not heard that Florida requires I have a permit in this NY heck hole to obtain theirs first lol.

·
Super Moderator
27,738 Posts
Hey I don't need to have a permit in my home state first, do I? Went to the gun store today and he said that. Might just be trying to score money off me. I have not heard that Florida requires I have a permit in this NY heck hole to obtain theirs first lol.
Nope, guy at the gun store is full of schiznit! (stole that word from Scott!) :grin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know he is full of schnitzel. Here's the transcript of the exchange lol.

Me: so yeah I just want to take a basic NRA course with live fire.

Him: we don't do those. Only the nys pistol safety course without live fire.
(Bull. Their website says otherwise)
You have to have ny first before you can have Florida.

Me: says who?

Him: says ny. They require it.

Me: uhm... they have no juridiction in FL ... jack wagon.

I understand the basis of his lie. The live fire pistol class requires a permit to take, but not the rifle class. It's just classic salesmanship in action. Sell me two classes I don't need.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
So I'll probably be attending this, or the next one. It's a popular course.

https://www.nrainstructors.org/Cour...zip=10703&radius=25.1&id=4&bsa=&youth=&women=
You should be aware that the NRA Home Firearm Safety course (for which I am a certified instructor) does not include any live fire. Given the way DACS (incorrectly) interprets the law they may not take your HFS certificate unless you also include a statement from the instructor that says he personally observed you safely handle and discharge a firearm.

Given your location you'd probably be better served taking a hunter safety course offered by your state's equivalent of our Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Even if it doesn't include live fire it should be fine. Or an NRA basic rifle or basic shotgun course. I know you can't do NRA pistol because of the legal situation up there.

ETA: Per the law "[c]ompletion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state" suffices as evidence of proof of demonstration of competence with a firearm. At least one person on this forum said they did an online state-provided hunter safety course. I don't remember which state. Looks like Georgia offers a few different ones. This might be a lot easier and cheaper than other options. That said, if you go with anything other than a Florida CCW-specific class I would strongly recommend doing a lot of self-study to ensure you have the proper information to carry and conduct yourself legally while in Florida. Reading this book cover to cover should suffice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the response! The NRA rifle course might be a better choice, given the type of hunter course up here. Either/or.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts