Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
By the way, at trial Drejka's attorney did in fact say "he had a right to stand his ground and was not required to retreat" according to one article I read. Why the hell he would say that I don't know. It is irrelevant. From the ground retreat is impossible if an imminent threat exists. By saying he wasn't required to retreat it implies that maybe he could have but didn't and the law is protecting that choice. Stupid move.

I think Drejka's own words to police, without benefit of counsel, are what sunk him. Two statements. One, he said McGlockton ran at him after shoving him down. The video refutes that. Two he said he'd have no reason to shoot McGlockton if he didn't run at him.

I had the pleasure of working with the tenacious and brilliant attorney Col. James H. Jeffries, III, retired USMC, (now departed) many years ago. Though the quote was not his one of my favorite adages of his was: "there is no wholly satisfactory substitute for brains, but silence does pretty well".

Folks, if you are involved in a shooting, please heed Jim's advice and shut up until your attorney is there.

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
^^^^
Agree with all you state here Brian. As you state it wasn't a "Stand Your Ground" defense, as claimed by the OP linked article headline and text and is get another example of erroneous reporting of the legal basis for the self-defense claim. SYG was irrelevant to this case. I've ceased to believe the Press is just mistaken, but are doing it on purpose to serve an agenda.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
The moral of this story is to -"""DON"T SHOOT ANYBODY""" even if you are flat on your back after being punched or pushed. It is your duty to just let them stomp you while you are DOWN.
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
The moral of this story is to -"""DON"T SHOOT ANYBODY""" even if you are flat on your back after being punched or pushed. It is your duty to just let them stomp you while you are DOWN.
Ronnie
No, that was not the moral of the story at all! :smack

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
^^^^
Agree with all you state here Brian. As you state it wasn't a "Stand Your Ground" defense, as claimed by the OP linked article headline and text and is get another example of erroneous reporting of the legal basis for the self-defense claim. SYG was irrelevant to this case. I've ceased to believe the Press is just mistaken, but are doing it on purpose to serve an agenda.
I agree BeerHunter, I'm feed up with all the yelling about SYG. FOX had the same headline this morning, I'm about to give up on them as well.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Just what was the guy flat on his back supposed to do????????
I know it all started with him and his starting the event but he was flat down and could "NOT" run or do anything but Shoot the guy that may have kicked him to death.
Was he supposed to just let it happen????
I always said it looked like SELF DEFENSE and "NOT" a STAND your GROUND ((( look back on all my other threads about this))))
I hold to the Don't shoot anybody if you do not want to get railroaded into a crime you did not commit.
Justice was not served in this case at all.
Ronnie

·
Registered
8,629 Posts
I personally think it was not a case of self defense. I think he was rightfully convicted.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZXHwCWPY8 >>>>This shows the real reason the jury convicted him had nothing to do with SYG. Markeis McGlockton did actually step backward once Drejka pulled his firearm and pointed it at McGlockton. Seeing the gun, McFlockton did not advance to attempt to cause addition harm or pose a deadly threat to Drejka. The jury therefore determined an unarmed man was shoot by a person using a deadly weapon without cause.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The woman was guilty of parking in a handicapped zone. A parking ticket.
The dead man was guilty of aggravated assault and battery, a felony. He was also under the influence of ecstasy.
His record included felony domestic battery charges that were dropped and convictions for drug possession and sale, and resisting an officer with violence.
This was a scary violent dude. Did he deserve to die? Probably not. Should he have still been in prison? Maybe.

·
Registered
304 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZXHwCWPY8 >>>>This shows the real reason the jury convicted him had nothing to do with SYG. Markeis McGlockton did actually step backward once Drejka pulled his firearm and pointed it at McGlockton. Seeing the gun, McFlockton did not advance to attempt to cause addition harm or pose a deadly threat to Drejka. The jury therefore determined an unarmed man was shoot by a person using a deadly weapon without cause.
And while the jury may be correct, who in their right mind in the heat of the moment has the ability to process split second movements like that and make a fire/don't fire decision with adrenaline running?

Ultimately I think it comes down to the old phrase "An armed society is a polite society."

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
And while the jury may be correct, who in their right mind in the heat of the moment has the ability to process split second movements like that and make a fire/don't fire decision with adrenaline running?

Ultimately I think it comes down to the old phrase "An armed society is a polite society."
And a persons decision to carry a firearm makes them face the consequences of their actions if they use that firearm. We hold LEO to be able to make a split second decision in using their weapon...we have to hold ourselves to ensuring we' re doing the correct thing. If we make a judgement to use a firearm, we are responsible to face a jury of our peers to find if we were correct or at fault. Sometimes we are correctly judged some times we get screwed. 20 people can view the same video of a shooting, and odds are you will not get an unanimous agreement on what happened. In today's society being armed has nothing to do with being polite. Polite is fast becoming a forgotten word and a forgotten way of human nature.

·
Registered
54,227 Posts
Just what was the guy flat on his back supposed to do????????
I know it all started with him and his starting the event but he was flat down and could "NOT" run or do anything but Shoot the guy that may have kicked him to death.

He was not even approached after he got shoved. Pull it, fine, use it like he did, you've not met the criteria for deadly force use.

Was he supposed to just let it happen????
I always said it looked like SELF DEFENSE and "NOT" a STAND your GROUND ((( look back on all my other threads about this))))
I hold to the Don't shoot anybody if you do not want to get railroaded into a crime you did not commit.
Justice was not served in this case at all.
Ronnie
It was, he was NOT in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death when he fired. The jury determine the correct verdict.

Tell me sir, in the same scenario, you'd have shot him? :dunno

·
Registered
54,227 Posts

Me, several times. And a few times, the trigger was pulled. However, I've never been charged with murder so apparently those split second decisions can be made correctly. His problem likely stems from not knowing the law of deadly force use to begin with.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
It was, he was NOT in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death when he fired.
I'm pretty sure that things happened really fast and the guy laying on his back had "NO" idea what the guy would do next, He already assaulted the guy.
Personally, The shooter should "NOT" have confronted the guy in the first place. He is "NOT" the Parking POLICE.
Ronnie

1 - 20 of 37 Posts