Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the selfish person that I am, I’ve considered keeping this little gem a secret so they never get backed up when we go; but it just didn’t seem like the fair thing to do.

After last week’s visit to Florida Gun Center I felt it was only fair to write a little review about them. They are located in 1770 West 38th Place, Hialeah, right off the Palmetto exit in Okeechobbee. It is an indoor range. The cost is $10 per person and it’s not limited to time unless they are really packed. The place is very clean; they have 10 shooting stalls for pistols. In most ranges it is rather stuffy with a strong powder smell that you can even taste, not here. They have two huge units on each corner that I believe are A/C and some kind of extractor. Not only is the temperature very cool but I didn’t feel that usual powder smell and taste in my mouth I often have in indoor ranges. The only negative I found is that where rifles are concerned you can only take up to .22LR, which is ok as that is the only thing my 11 year old grandson is willing to fire.

My first visit was when I took one of my future daughter’s in law for concealed weapon class, after the classroom part everyone went there to do the range part of the class. I didn’t go prepared so I had to empty my spare mag and buy range ammo there. I was pleasantly surprised when they told me it was $12.99 for the box, I controlled myself and only bought two boxes. Lesson learned on this one: always carry spare practice ammo in the car for such occasions. That day it was pretty packed but I still didn’t see anyone being asked to leave. Every single employee we spoke with was so nice and helpful that we both came home raving about the place.

Last Sunday we decided to go back. I cannot begin to tell you what a fantastic time all 4 of us had. Our usual cost when we go on weekends is $15 per hour, $20 if we go to the rifle range for each of us. We end up trying to set the alarm on the phone but nearly always go over the 1 hour when we go as a group, the cost could get rather steep. I didn’t know about them not using the timer at first so I was rather concentrated in getting my practice time. My oldest son went out to check the exact time we had signed in and that is when we found out. When he came back and told us we all relaxed and just enjoyed ourselves. Not only did we end up shooting the 500 rounds of 9mm and 200 of 38 special I had taken but we ended up buying about 100 more of 9mm and renting the Beretta my future daughter in law likes. The rentals are just $10; we couldn’t pass the opportunity on that one either.

When I started to feel my trigger finger getting tired I called it quits and went outside. I shoot between 150-200 rounds on each range visit, this time it was more like 300+. We looked at the guns they had for sale (decent prices on those too) and talked with the staff. What a pleasure they all were. I was looking for a cheap double mag holster for my upcoming class; one of them took us upstairs to show us what they had. They had the real (not the cheap stuff); I don’t really wish to pay $29+ for something I’ll be using only for class. I felt a little guilty about them spending so much time with us and us not buying anything in that visit. I have a feeling we’ll be making it up to them once my future daughter in law decides what she wants as her CC gun.

We spent over 4 hours in that place, had it not been because were all hungry we wouldn’t have left when we did. We were strangers to all of them; the attention they showed us was well above anything we would have ever expected, well worth driving a little further.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Florida gun center is by far my favorite place to go shooting!
I have a range much closer but they charge 15 an hour, the people are rude and the equipment sucks! They have the target holders that arevalways swinging around which I hate. Florida gun center is about a 45 min drive for me but I find myself going there every time!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will +1 on that write up, the guys at Florida Gun Center are very easy to deal with and have been very helpful to me in the past. They keep the place spotless and recently added the upstairs showroom for accessories.

When their price isn't the lowest, they offer to meet or beat the lowest if they can. Ammo prices are fair as are the range fees.

My only complaint and what has kept me from going on certain occasions is the lack of parking...but it's not their fault, there are a number of tenants there that abuse the parking with large trucks and storage of commercial vehicles...

I was actually thinking about going today if I can get away from my honey do list long enough....

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that was a great review!
I'll have to go and check it out!!!
We are definitely going back. I believe you’ll enjoy going there as well.

Florida gun center is by far my favorite place to go shooting!
I have a range much closer but they charge 15 an hour, the people are rude and the equipment sucks! They have the target holders that arevalways swinging around which I hate. Florida gun center is about a 45 min drive for me but I find myself going there every time!
Same here and it may be the same place. That swinging target drives me up a wall, even if it makes shooting at a moving target more realistic.

Both my boys won’t shut up about this new place (here is me pretending I’m not talking about them too). :)

I will +1 on that write up, the guys at Florida Gun Center are very easy to deal with and have been very helpful to me in the past. They keep the place spotless and recently added the upstairs showroom for accessories.

When their price isn't the lowest, they offer to meet or beat the lowest if they can. Ammo prices are fair as are the range fees.

My only complaint and what has kept me from going on certain occasions is the lack of parking...but it's not their fault, there are a number of tenants there that abuse the parking with large trucks and storage of commercial vehicles...

I was actually thinking about going today if I can get away from my honey do list long enough....
When we arrived there was a little crowd by the register for lane rental, in spite that, the person behind the counter made it a point to make eye contact, nod and acknowledge those waiting while he took care of the person standing in front of him. I don’t know any of their names (yet), which is good or I would have to list them all. We were treated as if we were regulars and they had known us for years.

Everything I saw was spotless and neat. One of my son’s had to use the restroom and he said even that was spotless. Although that is important too, I was more impressed with the people and their willingness and desire to help. I felt at home with no desire to leave any time soon even though I was no longer shooting. Leaving without that taste of powder in my mouth was another good plus.

We found them to have a lot more parking than other places we have gone. Nonetheless, we went on a Sunday and it is possible that the other businesses were closed.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thanks Misty. I work off of the Turnpike and Okeechobee road so this probably isn't to far. It will be nice to be able to go do some lunch time shooting.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Misty. I work off of the Turnpike and Okeechobee road so this probably isn't to far. It will be nice to be able to go do some lunch time shooting.
Enjoy, Davidw! :)

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since we have new people in the Miami area, I thought I would bring this thread back as it may be of interest.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
23 Posts
This place is great, very helpful staff, clean, and well ventilated. In my opinion the best place in miami i've found. the only draw back is that they are not open late so its hard to get some range time after a long day of life. For the night owl shooter in the miami area, I would recommend Ace's. The reviews online make Ace's gun range seem like the worst and their are tons of neg. comments but it isn't as bad as they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts