Florida Concealed Carry banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
A good, common-sense provision; law-abiding citizens shouldn't be the ones running away at a crime scene.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Stand your ground law

If you like stand your ground law,( which I love this law ) , you need to take time to e-mail the governor, LT governor, state senators, state representatives, let then know how you feel about this self defense law. There are already some state representatives in south FL trying to repeal this law as we speak. You can google state representatives, and state senators to get their e-mail address. I ASKED THEM NOT TO PLAY POLITICS WITH STAND YOUR GROUND LAW.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
In any other place where a person “has a right to be,” that person has “no duty to retreat” if attacked and may “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”
There's an interesting take on this, up until now, I thought it only applied to a structure or vehicle.
I guess one can stand his ground in an alley or tennis court or anywhere he finds himself in trouble.

·
Super Moderator
10,577 Posts
This is an important thread in this forum. Please leave specifics about the Zimmerman case out of it. There are plenty of threads running in the Colosseum for that discussion.

·
Registered
15,032 Posts
This is an important thread in this forum. Please leave specifics about the Zimmerman case out of it. There are plenty of threads running in the Colosseum for that discussion.
^ THIS! I emailed the Governor, and the more the merrier. He sounded wishie washie on FOX radio, and said he was gonna review the laws. I don't want to see this thread moved or locked, folks need to see it. I agree with Steve

·
Banned
943 Posts
This is one of the top 3 reasons I relocated to Florida and now I am worried because things like this scare the tourist away and that will not be tolerated by politicians and businesses alike. Please read this to see who is forming a panel to look at the law already:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/03/florida-lawmaker-plans-stand-your-ground-panel/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+foxnews%2Fpolitics+%28Internal+-+Politics+-+Text%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

·
Registered
377 Posts
Stand Your Ground Task Force Meeting today.

Important stuff but no public input scheduled. It is supposed to be covered by streaming video on
http://thefloridachannel.org/
at 10 am today. But I heard on NPR this morning that the discussion had already taken place, that no consensus was reached after "adult discussion" and that a report is already going to the Governor.

It turns out that the 'task force' reporting today was a group invited by State Sen. Chris Smith (D- Ft Lauderdale) which included several attorneys, police chiefs and prosecutors.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/01/2777117/florida-task-force-seeks-major.html

they found no consensus but a statistical majority who favored significant changes to the law as it currently stands.

e.g."Its report, released Monday, urged repeal of a defendant's immunity from arrest; the use of a grand jury "to allow for a cross section of society to determine what a reasonable person would do in that case;" and better record-keeping to see how often and why the law is invoked. It would also give a defendant the choice of testifying before a grand jury, a procedure Smith said would enable a swift distinction between legitimate claims and ones where force was improperly used."

"Gov. Rick Scott’s official task force on public safety meets Tuesday to establish its mission and plan future meetings. That 19-member panel will put forth recommendations to the governor and the Legislature about Stand Your Ground and other safety issues."

IANAL but, if anyone offers you a chance to testify before a grand jury, DON'T DO IT until you speak to your lawyer first.
The grand jury is a persecutorial tool that does not presume innocence, does NOT allow you to be represented by an attorney during its questioning, and may seriously compromise your 5th amendment rights. Even if they say you are to be granted "Use and Derivative Use Immunity," you may still be prosecuted. If you are granted full "Transactional Immunity," it might be to your advantage to speak to the Grand Jury but you MUST consult your attorney first. There is a reason why lawyers say that a prosecutor could get a Grand Jury to return a true bill and "indict a ham sandwich!"

·
Registered
90 Posts
Has any news on this been release at this time ? as I am moving back to Fl. and like to keep up with the CWFL laws

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Has any news on this been release at this time ? as I am moving back to Fl. and like to keep up with the CWFL laws
Task force report released today. There is a thread in "In the News" here about their findings.
No action by state yet of course.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"When seconds count the police are only minutes away".

It was quite rare that we ever came upon a violent crime in time to stop it.

Take the report and conduct the investigation and visit the victim in the hospital if the victim was fortunate enough to survive the attack.

Stay safe and stay armed good people.

Regards,

Old School

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's a double edge sword

Specifically:

FL Statute 776.013
- Home protection; use of deadly force; presumption of fear of death or great bodily harm.

And one of my favorites:
FL Statute 776.032 - Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.

FL laws ain't perfect, but you've gotta love those.

-JT

Laws were meant to be written in a way they cannot be misinterpreted or questioned. It must be black and white and most of all stupid proof.
Unfortunately if you read these laws enough times, you will find errors. Errors that could both help you or hurt you.

In reality, these laws (if followed correctly) should ONLY serve to help you.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Unless you have a Cop follow you every where you go, you had

better be able to defend yourself these days.

Where are the cops when someone breaks in your home?

When do the cops get to a murder?

When do the cops get to a robery?

And there are still some jerks that want to take this right away from you.
Not their fault, they can't be everywhere. Their job is more like "take report and hang yellow tape" than "protect and serve". I believe they do their best with the resourses they have.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts