Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,082 Posts
Haven't read the text of the Bill, but on principle, I'm hoping it passes. However, I'm not holding my breath. :popcorn

·
Registered
3,419 Posts

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Another misleading BS headline.

There are no prohibitions for CCW in churches in Florida. Don't need to be "OK'ed."

Government meetings is another matter.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Because many churches have schools on their property which would put the church off-limits as far as firearms. This bill would allow carry in the church without consideration for the proximity of the school.

The real question is will it survive a challenge from church authorities who, as a matter of policy, prohibit carry in their churches as the property "owner."

·
Registered
379 Posts
If I read this correctly this allows guns in churches when the church is using school property. My understanding is that if on school property guns are still not allowed.
I have Grandchildren that go to a non public school. They have a church on the same property.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
If I read this correctly this allows guns in churches when the church is using school property. My understanding is that if on school property guns are still not allowed.
I have Grandchildren that go to a non public school. They have a church on the same property.
Yes... in the body of the article. But, the headline is misleading.

·
Registered
176 Posts

So what about when a church doesn’t have its own building and “meets” on a public school/university campus?

When I was at UNF, there was a startup church that used an auditorium for their services. They eventually grew and got their own building off campus. This was not a university or student organization, I went once and it was mostly senior citizens with no ties to the school, the church simply used a university facility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Interesting. I have never attended a church that was anti-gun, nor one that had a formal school on property. Then again, I have never attended your typical mainstream Catholic type church either.

Because many churches have schools on their property which would put the church off-limits as far as firearms. This bill would allow carry in the church without consideration for the proximity of the school.

The real question is will it survive a challenge from church authorities who, as a matter of policy, prohibit carry in their churches as the property "owner."

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
There have been Bishops from different faith communions that have put out policies across their diocese that prohibit firearms from their churches. My neighbor attends such a church; no firearms allowed, if they find you with one you'll be asked to leave immediately or they'll have LE come and give you the official trespass off the property. Many of the attendees at that church are not at all happy about it, but the diocese owns those churches and can set their own policy. I suppose it has to do some with religious viewpoints and probably some to do with fear of liability or anti-gun stance.

Now there's a huge church here that hires a ton of LEOs for Sunday morning, directing traffic in and out and for general building/campus security. I'm told by a friend who attends there that they have a no firearms policy on Sundays because the LEOs requested it. Apparently they are concerned that if the worst happened and they had to respond from elsewhere on the campus, they didn't want to enter a room and end up shooting at an armed member of the congregation by mistake. I can understand their concern. All other days, I guess it's carry 'em if you got 'em.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
There have been Bishops from different faith communions that have put out policies across their diocese that prohibit firearms from their churches. My neighbor attends such a church; no firearms allowed, if they find you with one you'll be asked to leave immediately or they'll have LE come and give you the official trespass off the property. Many of the attendees at that church are not at all happy about it, but the diocese owns those churches and can set their own policy. I suppose it has to do some with religious viewpoints and probably some to do with fear of liability or anti-gun stance.

Now there's a huge church here that hires a ton of LEOs for Sunday morning, directing traffic in and out and for general building/campus security. I'm told by a friend who attends there that they have a no firearms policy on Sundays because the LEOs requested it. Apparently they are concerned that if the worst happened and they had to respond from elsewhere on the campus, they didn't want to enter a room and end up shooting at an armed member of the congregation by mistake. I can understand their concern. All other days, I guess it's carry 'em if you got 'em.
They can set whichever policy they want. And, the people are free to ignore. Sure, they can ask them to leave. But, that only means the citizen has done a poor job of concealment. If I went to such a church, I would absolutely ignore the policy. The only time it becomes a legal issue is if you're caught (again, poor concealment), and refuse to leave upon being asked. So, yeah... if you're asked to leave... LEAVE. Simple. But, I'm not leaving my gun at home because of a silly POLICY.

If I'm not mistaken, there's not a single case of an armed citizen being incorrectly identified as the "bad guy" (by the police) in an active murderer incident. So, while it's an "understandable" concern, it's not based in reality.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yeah our FL Lawmakers are dumb masses on both sides of the isle!

The idiots were farsighted enough to put in disclaimers that indicate stuff like you can concealed carry on church properties, BUT not when it is actively functioning as a polling place.

They have had decades to adopt the same language and said it is OK to concealed carry at church / on church properties when it is not actively functioning as a school.

·
Super Moderator
27,082 Posts
Yeah our FL Lawmakers are dumb masses on both sides of the isle!

The idiots were farsighted enough to put in disclaimers that indicate stuff like you can concealed carry on church properties, BUT not when it is actively functioning as a polling place.

They have had decades to adopt the same language and said it is OK to concealed carry at church / on church properties when it is not actively functioning as a school.
Not justifying the legislature's blanket prohibition wrt churches with an associated parochial school, but just pointing out that those parochial schools are often used for "Sunday School," too. Perhaps it's giving the Florida legislature too much credit, but perhaps that fact played some part in the "one size fits all" wording. :dunno

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, there's not a single case of an armed citizen being incorrectly identified as the "bad guy" (by the police) in an active murderer incident. So, while it's an "understandable" concern, it's not based in reality.
Well I presume the idea is to avoid it becoming a reality there. That church has 5 entrances/exits to their 3 giant parking lots, each of which is easily 3 times the size of the one in front Sam's warehouse. At traffic time there is probably between 12 and 16 LEOs out there directing traffic by hand - PPD, ECSO, FHP, Wildlife officers, you name it. Plus there are 5 or 6 more that stay only inside the buildings. I can see why they feel an armed member of the congregation might cause a bad decision in the heat of the moment.

Plus this church has quite a security staff of their own, all on radios. Don't know if they're armed or not, I only know they eyeball everyone like they're trying out for varsity Secret Service. I've been there for plays and musical presentations and they seem to be everywhere. It would not be a good venue for someone choosing to do harm; it would be easier to try it somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
At the risk of taking this off-topic, there is nothing in the Bible against self-defense, nor being armed. Any such constructs to the contrary are man-made. Even the well known commandment about "killing" is better translated to "murder", a whole different connotation.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
At the risk of taking this off-topic, there is nothing in the Bible against self-defense, nor being armed. Any such constructs to the contrary are man-made. Even the well known commandment about "killing" is better translated to "murder", a whole different connotation.
I agree 100% with what you said. Some leaders of different faith communities don't see it that way, and thus have a more... uh... PC view of the gun totin' Christian. I don't know the details of why they think as they do, and I've never looked into it because I disagree with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts