Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see if we can finally put this question to rest once and for all.

My FL CWL starts with the letters WX which some of you believe it to mean that the Florida Dept of Agriculture issued more than 99,999 licenses in that given year.
While this does sound plausible I was wondering if anyone had more of an official explanation.

The next two numbers seem to represent the year of issuance, which would explain the number 13 on mine.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Wasn't there a whole bunch more responses to this thread that seem to have disappeared? Or, was a new thread started?

I read all the reponses the other day, added my own input, and now all that is gone?!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasn't there a whole bunch more responses to this thread that seem to have disappeared? Or, was a new thread started?

I read all the reponses the other day, added my own input, and now all that is gone?!
Yes sir, you are correct...
The problem was that the primary topic was about the FHP telling a licensed holder he could not carry a loaded firearm and the thread was highjacked for a short time to discuss the CWL numbers and letters.
I started this thread so that we could go into a more indepth discussion and comparison of the meaning behind the letters and numbers on the CWL.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
W 14XXXXX

Issued March 2014, applied at the Jacksonville regional office.

The change of address website infers that there are several prefixes. W, WJ, WR, WS, WX, WY

I wonder if it relates to how the license was applied for (mail vs. regional office) etc.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Yes sir, you are correct...
The problem was that the primary topic was about the FHP telling a licensed holder he could not carry a loaded firearm and the thread was highjacked for a short time to discuss the CWL numbers and letters.
I started this thread so that we could go into a more indepth discussion and comparison of the meaning behind the letters and numbers on the CWL.

Thank you, Sir!

After I finish reclaiming my sanity I will go to the other thread, find my post, and re-post it here.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Saw this response on another forum. Not sure the WX or WY explanation makes sense, but I guess if they issue 100,000 licenses in one year it would be possible to have to add. If W is for non law enforcement, than is there a letter for law enforcement?

I called the customer line. The rep told me the following...

W - is for a non law enforcement
WX or WY - When they run out of W numbers, they use WX or WY
WJ - Is for a Judge
WC - would be for a consulate or diplomatic type license

The rep was extremely polite and helpful! Nice to hear when dealing with any state agency!

Got mine this year and it is W 14…...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Saw this response on another forum. Not sure the WX or WY explanation makes sense, but I guess if they issue 100,000 licenses in one year it would be possible to have to add. If W is for non law enforcement, than is there a letter for law enforcement?

I called the customer line. The rep told me the following...

W - is for a non law enforcement
WX or WY - When they run out of W numbers, they use WX or WY
WJ - Is for a Judge
WC - would be for a consulate or diplomatic type license

The rep was extremely polite and helpful! Nice to hear when dealing with any state agency!

Got mine this year and it is W 14…...
Mine starts with W and I'm a LEO but I did get it back in '10.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe I can re-apply and ask for the prefix-numerical code "XN28D+" ....
Well if they'll let you reapply and pick your own number then I'm going to apply for IM42AXXX007.
If the DMV can have vanity tags, we should be able to have vanity CWL.

All kidding aside I heard that they really were looking into generating more revenue for the state by having custom drivers license just like the license plates.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow! That makes you one of the few that got approved in late 2013 after they exhausted the WX.
My license was issued Jan 31 of 2014. I applied Dec 23 2013. Hard to believe that it was approved in 2013 and then sat on for a month.

Wy wife was processed right before me, yet her license was not issued until Feb 12 2014. Her license # is 2 numbers before mine.

It would be interesting to see how the numbers played out for those that applied in those few days after the wife and I did in 2013.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My license was issued Jan 31 of 2014. I applied Dec 23 2013. Hard to believe that it was approved in 2013 and then sat on for a month.

Wy wife was processed right before me, yet her license was not issued until Feb 12 2014. Her license # is 2 numbers before mine.
I wonder if the number is issued the moment the application is accepted for processing since we are a "Shall Issue" state?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I got mine in 2006 and is W96

1 - 20 of 39 Posts