Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20,355 Posts
nice hit...you gonna square off with someone you better expect to choose kick or receive...

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I like the way he held down his right arm as he hit him with his right...well done!

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Just out of couriosity, as we weren’t there and most likely counldn’t see everything the officer saw that night, I would like to know if a citizen had responded in kind under the same circumstances would they have been cleared too or charged with battery? :unsure:

Obviously, there is a whole lot of “how” your side of the story gets “articulated” to justify your actions as well as physical eveidence and eyewitness accounts... Whether or not your story is believed and supported is another issue.

·
Super Moderator
27,177 Posts
Just out of couriosity, as we weren’t there and most likely counldn’t see everything the officer saw that night, I would like to know if a citizen had responded in kind under the same circumstances would they have been cleared too or charged with battery? :unsure:

Obviously, there is a whole lot of “how” your side of the story gets “articulated” to justify your actions as well as physical eveidence and eyewitness accounts... Whether or not your story is believed and supported is another issue.
Good question. I'm guessing a citizen wouldn't have a buddy/partner with the same perceived credibility for his/her witness statements to carry enough weight with investigators. So I'm guessing the citizen would end up charged with battery. :unsure:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
police brutality.gif

·
Super Moderator
27,177 Posts
So as a layman non leo how was what that officer did, legal?
I'm not an LEO but if you're asking about LEO in the OP linked article, I think "legal" isn't the correct question. The question was probably more along the lines of "was the officer justified in his actions against the man who got in his face, or not?" The video alone doesn't tell the whole story and rarely does! Apparently the authorities determined, after reviewing all the evidence, that the officer was justified and cleared him of any wrong doing.

If you're asking about the graphic in post #7, that's easy. The man put his hand on the officer's weapon and suffered the consequences! 🤠

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
^^^ I say this about sums it up.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I didn’t want to sign up for the Miami newspaper so I couldn’t read the article. Having watched the video a number of times it seems clear what happened. The officer, in formation, was approached by this guy wearing a hoodie. The guy was larger than the officer and reached out and appears to have touched the officers weapon. Priority one for a police officer is personal safety, the ability to go home after your shift.

You don’t know what that guy is going to do. When he puts his hand on your weapon he may be preparing to disarm you or commit some great bodily harm. What you were seeing was an example of the “force continuum“, the officer is authorized to use whatever force necessary to overcome the action of the guy wearing a hoodie. He’s lucky he didn’t get a good butt stroke. He committed a battery upon the law enforcement officer, a touching without consent.

Beerhunter, I’m giving you an honorary law degree!

·
Super Moderator
27,177 Posts
^^^^
The video in post #7 isn't related to the Miami article in the OP; they're two separate events.

Thanks for the kind words, though I'm no JD, even though I'd considered pursuing one about 15 years ago. 🤠

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Gotcha... I just make it a general rule to not read articles they require you to “sign up“ and get on the list.

My trip to law school was kind of a forced choice. I spent a year at Martin Army Hospital at Fort Benning after a gunshot. My heart stopped and they brought me back etc. I basically bled out. (13 units)I had just gotten to the point as an investigator where I really enjoyed working cases with an eye toward what was gonna happen six months in the future.

Bored out of my mind and largely in a wheelchair, I started taking correspondence courses. When I medically retired I told the VA I wanted to be a lawyer. They approved my “career goal“ and I finished undergrad. Through a law enforcement connection, I got accepted to the University of Florida law school basically over the phone.

I had a unique fee schedule in practice. A regular fee or no fee. Mom was a World War II army nurse and I always had strong interest in medicine. I had an opportunity to go to Duke as a dual major, doctor and lawyer. A doctor/lawyer friend told me “it’s like surf and turf, you don’t get a really good steak and you don’t get a really good lobster”

I never charged a cop or veteran a dime. I considered it dues paid because that’s where I came from. The more cases I could pay the bills with, the more free cases I could handle. The more free cases I had, the more paying customers they referred. I was a lucky boy for decades.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts