Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yep, very cool.

Firearm design and development has always fascinated me.

Sometimes I think I enjoy taking them apart and putting them back together is more fun than shooting them... sometimes.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Yep, very cool.

Firearm design and development has always fascinated me.

Sometimes I think I enjoy taking them apart and putting them back together is more fun than shooting them... sometimes.
I often say the same thing. I enjoy the mechanical puzzle like aspect of guns.
And even if they didn't go boom I'd probaly still own them.

Cool vid. Thanks

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I often say the same thing. I enjoy the mechanical puzzle like aspect of guns.
And even if they didn't go boom I'd probaly still own them.

Cool vid. Thanks
Not a totally true statement, but a lot of our gun designers were sewing machine designers, or at least textile mill developers.

It has always struck me that a repeating firearm is not a lot different from a sewing machine. All of those little levers and cams.

And the thing that most fascinates me is the metallurgy. I can probably make the part, but I have no idea what type of metal to make the part from. All of that heat treating and such.

And all of that started with knives. To this day, blacksmiths that can properly heat treat a blade are few and far between.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
Not a totally true statement, but a lot of our gun designers were sewing machine designers, or at least textile mill developers.

It has always struck me that a repeating firearm is not a lot different from a sewing machine. All of those little levers and cams.

And the thing that most fascinates me is the metallurgy. I can probably make the part, but I have no idea what type of metal to make the part from. All of that heat treating and such.

And all of that started with knives. To this day, blacksmiths that can properly heat treat a blade are few and far between.
Maybe you misunderstood me? I like how all these little metal parts go together to make a working object.
And even if they didn't fire a single thing I'd probably still own them as their construction fascinates me.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Seven;I can see your point but for me it's the "bang"!!!!:dancingbanana

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Maybe you misunderstood me? I like how all these little metal parts go together to make a working object.
And even if they didn't fire a single thing I'd probably still own them as their construction fascinates me.
I'm sorry.

I understood exactly what you said a agree whole heatedly.

I did not word my reply well. I meant MY statement was not totally true, not your statement. I meant not all gun designers were sewing machine designers, I was just drawing a parallel to the two disciplines.

My head is still screwed up from the storm and the lack of power for so long. I'm still having trouble sleeping.

·
Registered
16,430 Posts
I'm sorry.

I understood exactly what you said a agree whole heatedly.

I did not word my reply well. I meant MY statement was not totally true, not your statement. I meant not all gun designers were sewing machine designers, I was just drawing a parallel to the two disciplines.

My head is still screwed up from the storm and the lack of power for so long. I'm still having trouble sleeping.
Me too. Nine days without power and TRYING to sleep in a 91 degree room sucked.
But COLD beer helps. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Nine days without power and TRYING to sleep in a 91 degree room sucked.
There was no way that I could lay in a wet sweaty bed.
When my power was off for Irma I took my pillow and a sheet and slept in my car with the AC on.
For Andrew I owned a full size Ford van with the back empty.
I put a blow up mattress inside and slept there for over a week until my power came back on!

I just can't take the HEAT!

Mackie / Bud
PS. I liked the video...pretty cool!

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
Yup, very cool, even 3 years later! Threads merged. :grin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts