Florida Concealed Carry banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
If they run the serial numbers while inventorying the weapons to determine they weren't stole, "those are my legally owned weapons I brought from my state of Texas" isn't going to fly and most likely would result in their giving you a ride.
I’m confused on the above. Assuming dad legally had owned them as I had previously stated, what is there for them to run the serial number against? Aren’t they running them to see if they are stolen? I understand there is a stolen data base to check but are you saying there is a national data base with everyone’s serial number and the owner’s name attached to it? I didn’t think that existed nor would it, could it, ever be accurate and updated every time a private sale is made which is never recorded.

I don’t understand how my quoted "those are my legally owned weapons I brought from my state of Texas" wouldn’t fly?

If they aren’t stolen and reported as such, what is running the serial number going to tell them? I guess that’s the part I’m confused on.

This is just for conversation and learning, I would never put myself in this position to begin with. Once you start doing stupid things, you will quickly start winning stupid prizes.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yes, but a private seller on GunBroker etc. etc. would not necessarily be, and yet they ship directly to my FFL.
I’ve never sold on GunBroker, Only purchased from them but I don’t think a private seller, that isn’t an FFL, can just ship to the buyer’s FFL directly. I think they have to take to an FFL in their home state to have it transferred to the buyer’s FFL. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Please do it the right way, its cheaper than a LAWYER ...... Believe me !
I’m sure I will. The problem isn’t on dad’s end. He can easily afford to pay his FFL to ship and xfer. But, I’m going to have a hard time getting the accountant (the Mrs.) to get behind what it’s going to cost me on my end.

I foresee a meal at her favorite restaurant (I hate the place) and a new purse for her in my not so distant future. 😆

Thanks y’all. 👍

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
…I foresee a meal at her favorite restaurant (I hate the place) and a new purse for her in my not so distant future. 😆

Thanks y’all. 👍
…mine likes Louis Vuitton. :oops:

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
…mine likes Louis Vuitton. :oops:
Perish the thought!

Fortunately mine’s tastes aren’t so lavish.

The meal though is another thing. Not that it‘s an expensive place, Mexican, it’s the $100 in margaritas she has to get to really enjoy what to her is a special night out! (Factor in a few shots of decent tequila I need to get through nasty food. Burns off the taste buds. 🥴 😬 )

·
Registered
17,078 Posts
I’ve never sold on GunBroker, Only purchased from them but I don’t think a private seller, that isn’t an FFL, can just ship to the buyer’s FFL directly. I think they have to take to an FFL in their home state to have it transferred to the buyer’s FFL. :unsure:
An individual seller can ship a gun out of state directly to an FFL provided the FFL accepts from an individual. In my experience it’s usually 50/50 on yes or no. As said above if they do they require a copy of your drivers license and usually some sort of receipt.

Maybe I’m the only one thinking the other way hypothetically of course 😬
What’s to stop dad from driving down with what are his guns and then giving them to the son once he’s there? They are dads guns. Nothing illegal with driving cross state borders with his own guns. Once he’s here he decides he’d like to gift them to a direct relative. ‘You know what? I’d like to give you these cuz you’re such a great person.’ 😎

·
Registered
8,599 Posts
I have sold a dozen guns on gunbroker over the years and bought ones I would shoot more with the money , I used Fedex to there FFL most just want a copy of your DL.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Interesting. Didn’t know you could do that as a private seller across state lines. Thanks guys. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,913 Posts
Well, this is EASY.
Just use the "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" if you can find it.((HA! HA! HA! HA!)

Or just have your dad send it to your dealer using Federal Express. and be sure to call the dealer to see exactly what is needed for the transfer.

The dealer has to put the guns in their inventory and when you pick them up you have to pay for the transfer and have a background check.
IINJGFTO can tell you more about this procedure.
You can not us the Post Office to send guns but Federal Express was what I use to send guns to be repaired at Ruger and S&W etc. with no problem at all.
I don't know about UPS
Ronnie

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Well, this is EASY.
Just use the "GUN SHOW LOOPHOLE" if you can find it.((HA! HA! HA! HA!)

Or just have your dad send it to your dealer using Federal Express. and be sure to call the dealer to see exactly what is needed for the transfer.

The dealer has to put the guns in their inventory and when you pick them up you have to pay for the transfer and have a background check.
IINJGFTO can tell you more about this procedure.
You can not us the Post Office to send guns but Federal Express was what I use to send guns to be repaired at Ruger and S&W etc. with no problem at all.
I don't know about UPS
Ronnie
All I can say, Ronnie, is this. My own FFL (who just renewed his FFL and is active) has advised that he is willing (as are, apparently, other "receiving" FFLs) to accept direct shipments from both manufacturers and private individual sellers, as long as the individual sellers also provide a copy of their DL. But that decision is left up to the discretion of the receiving FFL, who may insist that it be an FFL --> FFL transfer.

If you like, I'll go through my Gunbroker records to try and find an individual seller that sold me an item but is not an FFL and for which my receiving FFL accepted the item. Of all my recent purchases, my FFL accepted all of them.

I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
If they run the serial numbers while inventorying the weapons to determine they weren't stole, "those are my legally owned weapons I brought from my state of Texas" isn't going to fly and most likely would result in their giving you a ride.

That would be even a bigger mess to explain how they are yours but bought by the father. Not worth the risk in my world. Id be prone to tell them my father loaned me a few guns [ that way when they run the serial numbers, they come back to dad as expected. A loan of a firearm is not a transfer.

I can loan anyone who's not a prohibited person any firearm I want to loan them.
Is there a national database they can access to quickly determine the ownership of a firearm?
I remember a conversation a while back about how a they could trace a serial # through dealer records but I thought it was time consuming and reserved for more serious investigations.

Other than the "transfer", which only exists in the brains of the parties involved, I'm not seeing any other crime in driving across a few states with guns in the trunk.

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
Is there a national database they can access to quickly determine the ownership of a firearm?
I remember a conversation a while back about how a they could trace a serial # through dealer records but I thought it was time consuming and reserved for more serious investigations.

Other than the "transfer", which only exists in the brains of the parties involved, I'm not seeing any other crime in driving across a few states with guns in the trunk.
It's not likely something an leo can do from the side of the road through dispatch. My concern would be some dickwad leo wanted to detain me until the serial numbers could be checked against the national hot sheet. If there's a quantity of firearms, that could easily turn into a "ride" until they got them checked for stolen at the very least .

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
It's not likely something an leo can do from the side of the road through dispatch. My concern would be some dickwad leo wanted to detain me until the serial numbers could be checked against the national hot sheet. If there's a quantity of firearms, that could easily turn into a "ride" until they got them checked for stolen at the very least .
Would they have cause to do that? Assuming we're staying in the framework of the initial contact being the rearend collision?

·
Registered
55,688 Posts
Would they have cause to do that? Assuming we're staying in the framework of the initial contact being the rearend collision?
Florida plate in any other state, they will likely ask you where you're coming from. Discovery of the firearms will beg a lot of questions when the plate is from one state and you're not in that state presently transporting weapons/firearms.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
For the record, I’m not going to play any games here. I’m not gifted with the kind of luck that grants me the luxury of rolling the dice. When pops and I discussed this over a year ago, I made a mental note to check the legality. I knew a transfer between parties of differing states generally requires including a FFL. I just could never decide if family gifting changed the equation. Didn’t think so, but as I say, no harm in asking.

Now, to appease the “who’d know” crowd, I will neither confirm nor deny driving back home past years with a single item I may or may not have conned, er I mean convinced dad he didn’t shoot enough and
should go to a good home.

In this case, I tend to agree with those warning of the consequences of something stupid happening and for some unforeseen reason, an LEO ends up poking around my trunk finding a tiny arsenal. Bad juju IMHO.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts