Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have, what is the legal way to purchase from or sell to a private citizen a firearm. A friend of mine has a Millennium Pro 111 9mm on sale for a reasonable price and I'm considering purchasing it but I want to make sure I do everything by the law. Also is there a way to check the serial number. I completely trust my friend but I just want to make sure for myself that everthing is done legally. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
The way interpret is that as long as you the seller is selling to a person over 18 then it's ok and no paperwork is required. Same for the buyer. you have to be 18 yrs to buy.

As far as I know this is how it is, maybe someone can correct me on this.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The Taurus comes with a lifetime warranty...for comparison...Glocks do not. The reasons can be debated till the end of time... ;)

As far as sales go...if you were uncertain about the line of ownership of a gun...you may be able to get your local sheriffs dept to do a FDLE check based on the serial number...but be prepared too...if it comes back dirty...they may want to know who currently posseses it...

For your own protection...you could ask to see ID and/or CWP and make out a Bill of Sale with the names and DL#'s of both of you as well as a description and serial number of the gun. I would date it too...of course.

That's it...and the BOS is not a requirement...but more of a CYA type of thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
I'm getting the Taurus with 2 magazines for $425. It seems like a good deal. How do you get a lifetime warranty on the firearm?[/QUOTE

Taurus has a lifetime warranty on the gun. they pretty good about it too even if you just bought it from another.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Florida to Florida resident, no paperwork is required. I would however, copy each others license, address etc. and if and when you sell the gun repeat the process. You'll have a timeline of when and how long you owned the gun. God forbid anything bad should happen with the firearm, they'll start at the original owner and work it back.
just my .02 worth.

RT

·
Registered
5,950 Posts
Yardman, from the way I understand it, there is no paperwork or even ID requirement for a private transfer of a handgun. Also, the way I understand, the seller can presume the buyer is legal unless something indicates otherwise. In other words, there is no requirement for a private seller to verify that a buyer is indeed legal to buy. You can hand the seller your cash, and the seller can hand you the firearm and you two go your separate ways. You don't even have to know each other's name. :laughing

However, that being said, many of the more responsible gun owners involved in private transfers, wisely so in my humble opinion, cover their bases by only doing business with CWFL holders and seeing a Florida DL. Giving themselves just a little more confidence that they aren't transferring a handgun into the hands of someone who legally can't normally make a firearm purchase. Some even choose to develop some form of a bill of sale from the transaction to have a paper trail of that weapon leaving their possession and control.

But, none of the above is required in a private party to private party transfer if I have understood things correctly.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Legal mininum:
  • Ask if they are a resident of the State.
  • Ask if they are prohibited from purchase by State or Federal Law.
That is all.

Many people that buy FTF will not give additional information. Personally I do not give out my personal information to anyone not lawfully required.

Your choice as to whom you will sell or not.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Date of OP

Are you guys looking at the date of the OP?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
You do not have to do this but it is something I do, a bill of sale to cover your A&%.......Put sellar and buyers name in the first paragraph, notorize if you want but that is your choice...I never want the law to come and ask me about a weapon I sold because it was used in a violent crime. If you want a attachment of printable document pm me And i will email it to you.......Someone on this forum did this for me and is extremlly usefull for not getting in any trouble..........G30

Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership

For eight hundred fifty dollars ($850.00)] received, I, John Doe, hereinafter referred to as “Seller”, have sold to Bill Smith, hereinafter referred to as “Buyer”, One (1) Smith & Wesson M&P .45 pistol, Serial # ABC123, hereinafter referred to as “Firearm”.

I represent that this Firearm is not stolen and I am the owner of the Firearm.

Firearm is sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the Firearm.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the Firearm.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this Firearm and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said Firearm.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document.
Buyer acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership.
Buyer certifies that he is 21 years of age or older.
Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual.
Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual.
Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.
Bill of Sale
Transfer of Ownership

For eight hundred fifty dollars ($850.00)] received, I, John Doe, hereinafter referred to as “Seller”, have sold to Bill Smith, hereinafter referred to as “Buyer”, One (1) Smith & Wesson M&P .45 pistol, Serial # ABC123, hereinafter referred to as “Firearm”.

I represent that this Firearm is not stolen and I am the owner of the Firearm.

Firearm is sold as is.
No warranty is expressed or implied by the Seller.
Seller assumes no responsibility after transfer of ownership has taken place.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all aftermarket parts added to the Firearm.
Seller assumes no responsibility of any/all original equipment parts on the Firearm.
Buyer assumes all responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place.

Seller specifically disclaims any warranties of merchantability or of fitness for a particular purpose of this Firearm and disclaims all responsibility for consequential and/or incidental damages or any other losses arising from the use of said Firearm.

Buyer agrees to the terms and conditions set forth and listed on this document.
Buyer acknowledges that he has received a true copy of this Bill of Sale/Transfer of Ownership.
Buyer certifies that he is 21 years of age or older.
Buyer acknowledges and understands that he will read the Owner’s Manual.
Buyer agrees that it will be his responsibility when transfer of ownership has taken place to adjust, check, and follow all instructions as outlined in the Owner’s Manual.
Buyer attests that he is able to legally buy and possess firearms.

Buyer:__________________ Seller:____________________

Name:__________________ Name:____________________

Address:________________ Address:__________________

City, State, Zip:___________________ City, State, Zip:____________________

Sign:___________________ Sign:_____________________

Date:___________________ Date:____________________

DL#:____________________ DL#:____________________

DL State:________________ DL State:________________

·
Registered
797 Posts
2008 date of op - No just wasted ten minutes trying to find this doc..LOL, Oh well maybe someone else can use it.....G30

·
Registered
797 Posts
+1:banghead2

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts