Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the climate we live in here in Fla. what type of finish would y'all recommend on a carry weapon.
I work outdoors so I'll be dealing with sweat,dust, humidity and salty sea air. I am leaning towards stainless steel but what about some of the composit materials out there. I'm pretty sure blued steel would be the worst however I've been wrong before.
Also how often would you recommend that the weapon recieve a thougough cleaning.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
I'm going to be totally biased and say that the Glock has the best finish to withstand the tropical climate. It's has been proven over and over again by Law Enforcement. The steel parts of the Glock are covered in tennifer which makes it rust proof. As far as cleaning is concerned, it is a very forgiving firearm but you should take good care of any weapon you carry for SD.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like the Kahr black DLC over stainless. Best of both worlds.
2nd choice is Glock's Tenifer.

Kahr PM9:

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Stainless is nice, but it still needs to be cared for properly and is generally heavier in weight, so it loses points there.

It's hard to find any downside to purchasing a Glock. Virtually indestructible, any size and caliber you care to have, simple internals and minimal maintenance required.

For around $500 for a new Glock, you can't go wrong.

As far as cleaning, after each range trip. I tend to be pretty thorough about cleaning and lubing, so I would probably give it a quick wipe down and blast of Breakfree CLP every 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello All,

The "finish" I prefer is whatever is on the gun(s) that you shoot the best with.

Any "flavor" works equally well when properly cared for. In my opinion your

carry piece deserves TLC no matter what finish you choose. After all you're

counting on it to protect you and yours'. I mostly carry a Blued Kimber 24/7

365 in what amounts to a cross between Tropical and Desert conditions...

South Florida Gravel Pit. Never any problems with just a little TLC.

Safety First...Keep your groups tight,

mM

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Yep, that 15.9 ounces is killing me. :laughing ;)
15.9 is real comfortable, pretty close to a J-frame snub nosed I carry.

My stainless Sig that weighs in at 38oz. that is just heavier than I find comfortable.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
The Tennifer finish on Glocks is tough to beat for corrosion resistance. I also like polymer finishes such as Roguard, Armor-Kote, etc.; I had the slide on my Para-Ordnance done up in Birdsong Black-T, and it came out looking awesome and wears like iron. :thumsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
Glock's finish or the Gunkote finish or hard chrome will all do just fine.

My G19 with a Gunkote slide:

I've been carrying a P3AT with a Parkerized slide in a pocket holster since they came out. No wear, no corrosion.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Glock's finish or the Gunkote finish or hard chrome will all do just fine.

My G19 with a Gunkote slide:

I've been carrying a P3AT with a Parkerized slide in a pocket holster since they came out. No wear, no corrosion.
Nice slide :clap

·
Registered
132 Posts
Never was a Glock fan until I moved to Florida bout 15 yrs ago. Now I own several, I also own several 1911's. I switch off sometimes, but I think the Glock is as stated....durable and simple. I guess it just depends on where you plan on going. 1911's if you are gonna hang with your anti-Glock buddies or Glocks when you think you might run into the need for alot of bullets. If you treat either of them with respect and care, 1911's and Glocks will serve your intended purpose well. But for the original question....IMO Glocks will stand up to Florida better without having to worry about getting them dirty or sweaty.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
tennifer finnish thats on Glocks

·
Registered
75 Posts
gun kote pic

i have been using this product for a long time but it needs to be applied correctly if not it will come off send me a msg if your interested here is my gun

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Considering the climate we live in here in Fla. what type of finish would y'all recommend on a carry weapon.
I work outdoors so I'll be dealing with sweat,dust, humidity and salty sea air. I am leaning towards stainless steel but what about some of the composit materials out there. I'm pretty sure blued steel would be the worst however I've been wrong before.
Also how often would you recommend that the weapon recieve a thougough cleaning.

I have a S&W Mod. 66 2.5" in Stainless, a Colt Combat Commander in Satin Nickel finish, and the Mrs. has a Taurus in Titanium.

All three work good for me.

I clean mine after everytime I shoot it.

I'll be dealing with sweat,dust, humidity and salty sea air.
With this being said, I would check it often and clean it as often as necessary.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
My SR9 has a stainless slide and tupperware frame. I think it'll do just fine.

As long as you take care of your gun properly, the type of finish shouldn't be too big of a deal.

-JT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts