Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received many inquiries into what someone should look for, or ask, when seeking an attorney they can use in the event of a self-defense shooting or related issue. After giving it some thought, I’ve come up with some ideas.

Look for an attorney that uses one or more of the following terms when describing his practice areas:

Firearms’ law
Self-Defense
Concealed weapon licensing, denials & appeals
Use of Force
Public Display
NFA (National Firearm’s Act)
Many are also criminal defense lawyers

The lawyer should be available 24/7 should an emergency arise. Most situations I’ve come across don’t happen during regular business hours.

The lawyer should be a NRA referral Attorney, GOA Referral Attorney, or both. If he is an Affiliate Attorney with the Armed Citizen’s Legal Defense Network, it is a plus (Massad Ayoob sits on their board and is very helpful in these matters).

I think it is beneficial if the lawyer is also a NRA Certified Instructor, or has a Florida “K” license, and teaches concealed carry.

Talk to the attorney about the issue. Listen for depth of knowledge and passion. Talk about past cases and outcomes.

Look for articles the attorney has written on related topics. Look for news stories concerning the attorney. Settling a case is great, but the lawyer must be willing to take it to trial. Having solid appellate success is also beneficial since some cases are lost at the trial level.

Get referrals.

A lawyer that supports the Second Amendment is fantastic, but one of my past law partners supports our rights and would be the first to admit he knows nothing about that area of the law.

A Second Amendment lawyer is great, but there are very few cases most people will come across that require a Constitutional attorney.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
15,233 Posts
Extremely valuable info sir..
Buckley you are truly a gentleman and all around nice guy..

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeeze. You know what they say about nice guys.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Excellent advise for sure.

I almost needed to retain you, but a local lawyer friend has helped to put the pressure on my the city attorney to get back my pistol from the safe keeping of the local PD. From back when I had an accidential discharge. I could still kick myself for letting them "hold on" to it. I should have said, go ahead and get your court order. But that is all water under the bridge and lesson learned.
I will not ever give my firearm to a LEO except for 2 reasons, the LEO is family or personally known friend and B they take it from me.

Any who, its been amost 6mths to the day and I am still waiting, now for a release to sign so I can get my gun back.

<SIGH>

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent advise for sure.

I almost needed to retain you, but a local lawyer friend has helped to put the pressure on my the city attorney to get back my pistol from the safe keeping of the local PD. From back when I had an accidential discharge. I could still kick myself for letting them "hold on" to it. I should have said, go ahead and get your court order. But that is all water under the bridge and lesson learned.
I will not ever give my firearm to a LEO except for 2 reasons, the LEO is family or personally known friend and B they take it from me.

Any who, its been amost 6mths to the day and I am still waiting, now for a release to sign so I can get my gun back.

<SIGH>

This qualifies as an emergency. If something like this happens, just call. If someone wants to search your car or your home, and you aren't sure, call. The officer can wait for you to call. A thug doesn't need to be shot for something to qualify as an emergency. :drinks

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lawyer Ignorance

Mr. Buckley, thank God I have never needed the services of an attorney so I don't know what I am talking about. Is it necessary to retain an attorney before one is needed (i.e. to have them on "stand by") or if one is ever needed then I call the attorney and give them the retainer.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mr. Buckley, thank God I have never needed the services of an attorney so I don't know what I am talking about. Is it necessary to retain an attorney before one is needed (i.e. to have them on "stand by") or if one is ever needed then I call the attorney and give them the retainer.

Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks
I don't see this as ignorance. Every attorney has his own policy. If my phone rings, I will walk talk them through what is about to happen and what they should do.

I then generally get calls from a spouse and then explain what will happen next and what needs to be done. Often I cannot discuss anything of major substance since that person has not yet retained the firm.

If you are being sued in a civil matter, you have twenty days to respond to a complaint. This gives you plenty of time to find and retain counsel. If you are locked up, you may want someone willing to take a few hours with your spouse or contact person to reassure them and guide them. If you are not locked up, you may want to talk to someone at that point, rather than wait until you find a good attorney to retain. I guess it depends on comfort level.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
D**n Buckley
Your list of what to look for sounds a lot like you.:)
Might as well put your info in my phone and call it a day.
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah
Franklin:ak

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Attorney List

If you call the NRA,you can get a list of NRA Referral Attorneys near you.
Their list is by state and then city so you can have them read the cities and then take down a couple of nearby names.
If you want,I guess you could call them ahead of time to see who you would want to use in an emergency.
I would assume being near you is important so that the attorney can accompany you to any meetings with police.
Comments by our resident attorney would greatly be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
D**n Buckley
Your list of what to look for sounds a lot like you.:)
Might as well put your info in my phone and call it a day.
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah
Franklin:ak
Well sir, I've spent a few years working to fill out shoes of an ideal self-defense attorney based on a profile I've created. I'm still working on some certificates, but many of those are only known to the industry.

I've not yet published a book or any articles on the issue, so the list isn't a perfect match for me, but I'm working hard on it.

We are getting ready to create some UTube videos.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts