Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the Navy and got my FL CWFL about 4 months ago, but unfortunately I live in MD so I’m unable to carry. Well, I finally made it back to FL this past week for a family wedding so I was finally able to carry. Right before I left for FL I bought a Ruger LCP, since I wasn’t sure if I would feel comfortable carrying my XDm compact. Being 5’8” and 150 lbs with a 30” waist I felt like a pistol as thick as the XDm would not be concealed very well…especially since I tend to wear tight clothing. I wouldn’t have any problem concealing the XDm in cooler temps, but I felt it would be difficult wearing primarily t-shirts and shorts. Well, I’m convinced I made the right choice, at least for a newbie. I bought two holsters for the LCP, a de santis nemesis and a High Noon Mr Softy. I also have a maxpedition Noatak gearslinger backpack with the optional holster. So far for the past 10 days since I left MD my lil LCP has not left my side. During normal wear I carry using the Mr Softy at @ 5:30, which is surprisingly comfortable. When I have to tuck in my shirt I pocket carry using the nemesis and when at the beach or pool the LCP is in my backpack. Then of course at night in hotels she’s in the night stand right next to my flashlight.
Actually I’m really surprised at how comforting it is to conceal carry. That lil LCP (Elsie Pea as it’s known) seems to fit perfectly in the small of my back. Unfortunately I have to return to the non-issue state of MD later this week…and I’ll miss lil Elsie.
You FL guys keep fighting for our second amendment rights…cuz it sux when we don’t have them.

Rob

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
As charlton heston once said they can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead fingers , well that is how I feel about concealed carry , I'm old and fed up with liberal anti-gun politic's so let them come and bring pliers

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
First, Thank you for your service. I'm glad you were able to carry, even if only for a little while. If sure looks like you've spent the time to get the various holsters all figured out and the LCP sounds perfect for your needs.
Hopefully Florida will continue to be one of the primary leaders in the fight for the 2nd Amendment rights of ALL AMERICANS.
Thanks again for your service. :usa

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
I’m in the Navy and got my FL CWFL about 4 months ago, but unfortunately I live in MD so I’m unable to carry. Well, I finally made it back to FL this past week for a family wedding so I was finally able to carry. Right before I left for FL I bought a Ruger LCP, since I wasn’t sure if I would feel comfortable carrying my XDm compact. Being 5’8” and 150 lbs with a 30” waist I felt like a pistol as thick as the XDm would not be concealed very well…especially since I tend to wear tight clothing. I wouldn’t have any problem concealing the XDm in cooler temps, but I felt it would be difficult wearing primarily t-shirts and shorts. Well, I’m convinced I made the right choice, at least for a newbie. I bought two holsters for the LCP, a de santis nemesis and a High Noon Mr Softy. I also have a maxpedition Noatak gearslinger backpack with the optional holster. So far for the past 10 days since I left MD my lil LCP has not left my side. During normal wear I carry using the Mr Softy at @ 5:30, which is surprisingly comfortable. When I have to tuck in my shirt I pocket carry using the nemesis and when at the beach or pool the LCP is in my backpack. Then of course at night in hotels she’s in the night stand right next to my flashlight.
Actually I’m really surprised at how comforting it is to conceal carry. That lil LCP (Elsie Pea as it’s known) seems to fit perfectly in the small of my back. Unfortunately I have to return to the non-issue state of MD later this week…and I’ll miss lil Elsie.
You FL guys keep fighting for our second amendment rights…cuz it sux when we don’t have them.

Rob
Rob,

You have no idea how easy it is for you skinny guys to carry compared to us old fat guys. Trust me, be happy with your challenges.

Thanks for your service!!:thumsup

TII
USN 1972-1977, Go Navy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story, and thanks for your service! Thinking about states like MD just makes me shake my head. It's rough when ignorance wins out. My buddy carries his LCP everywhere also, and prefers pocket carry. I forget which specific holster he has (I could find out) but it's about the size of a wallet altogether. Nice solution for any weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Please tell me you did the "Wally Walk"? or whatever its called. Thats part of the initiation process.

Ken

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Again thank you for your service. I assume you're aware your FL CWFL is valid in PA, VA and DE (and all the way back to the VA-MD border if you're driving.) < http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html > Don't know where you're stationed in Maryland, but you don't have far to go where the rules are a little more sane...

Allan - USN '68-'77

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Hopefully Florida will continue to be one of the primary leaders in the fight for the 2nd Amendment rights of ALL AMERICANS.
Amen!...Oh yeah, I am a registered FL voter and 2nd amendment issues are always one of the main considerations that I consider prior to casting my vote!

...You have no idea how easy it is for you skinny guys to carry compared to us old fat guys. Trust me, be happy with your challenges.
Yeah, maybe you're right...that lil LCP sure was easy to carry.

...Thinking about states like MD just makes me shake my head...
Me too brother...

Please tell me you did the "Wally Walk"? or whatever its called. Thats part of the initiation process.
Oh yeah! The first thing I did was go to Wally world to do the traditional "Wally Walk". I was on my way to the range so I bought some ammo, 9mm and .380, walked around and bought some non essential stuff, waited in the longest check out line I could find. Then I bought a coke at the MC D's inside. Of course it was rather uneventful. One thing was strange though...when I purchased the ammo, the cashier asked for my driver's license. When I asked why, he stated that he could only sell ammo to FL residents. Do you guys in FL have a problem with Georgia residents sneaking across the border to purchase ammo?!

..I assume you're aware your FL CWFL is valid in PA, VA and DE (and all the way back to the VA-MD border if you're driving.) < http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/news/concealed_carry.html > Don't know where you're stationed in Maryland, but you don't have far to go where the rules are a little more sane...
Yup, I carried all the way back to the MD border. But, I had to unload both pistols and store them out of reach and away from any ammo to be legal in MD. Unfortunately, I live in SoMD (Patuxent River, MD) which is an hour away from VA and 3 hours away from PA.

Rob

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
It is a sad state of affairs when an active service person that could find themselves in harm's way at any given moment is denied the very right that they serve to protect. We all hold a driver's license and all states honor it which allows us to travel free in all the states. Driving is a privilege, not a right. The right to self defense is a God given right and to bear arms is a right ensured by the Constitution. When we elect people to serve and take an oath to protect the Constitution we need to hold them to that oath. There is a bill being circulated that will allow us to carry a weapon or firearm across state lines co-authored by Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Heath Shuler, D-N.C. Support it and let your elected officials know you expect they will take their oath to protect the Constitution and the rights afforded to a citizen of the United States of America.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rmits-valid-across-state-lines/#ixzz1YKz3fsFX

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Oh yeah! The first thing I did was go to Wally world to do the traditional "Wally Walk". I was on my way to the range so I bought some ammo, 9mm and .380, walked around and bought some non essential stuff, waited in the longest check out line I could find. Then I bought a coke at the MC D's inside. Of course it was rather uneventful. One thing was strange though...when I purchased the ammo, the cashier asked for my driver's license. When I asked why, he stated that he could only sell ammo to FL residents. Do you guys in FL have a problem with Georgia residents sneaking across the border to purchase ammo?!
Rob

I've bought thousands of rounds of Ammo at Walmart and have never been asked for ID but then again Im down South. Which walmart did you go to, where you near the state lines?

KEn

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a sad state of affairs when an active service person that could find themselves in harm's way at any given moment is denied the very right that they serve to protect. We all hold a driver's license and all states honor it which allows us to travel free in all the states. Driving is a privilege, not a right. The right to self defense is a God given right and to bear arms is a right ensured by the Constitution. When we elect people to serve and take an oath to protect the Constitution we need to hold them to that oath. There is a bill being circulated that will allow us to carry a weapon or firearm across state lines co-authored by Reps. Cliff Stearns, R-Fla., and Heath Shuler, D-N.C. Support it and let your elected officials know you expect they will take their oath to protect the Constitution and the rights afforded to a citizen of the United States of America.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...rmits-valid-across-state-lines/#ixzz1YKz3fsFX
I agree with your first point, but not sure about the proposed bill. I'm a strict conservative...but that's a topic for another day...

I've bought thousands of rounds of Ammo at Walmart and have never been asked for ID but then again Im down South. Which walmart did you go to, where you near the state lines?
It was the Walmart off of Beach in Jax.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts