Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Play stupid games... as they say.

This is the reason I dropped my FC membership. I don't want to be connected to an organization that is so misguided and actively working against our 2A interests through their incompetence and complete lack of awareness.

·
Super Moderator
30,402 Posts
I seem to be eating a lot of popcorn today! 🍿

• Haha
Reactions: racer88

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Sorry... the "fishing 2A audits" are a deal-breaker for me. It's SO out of line and counterproductive. I can't be associated with that DANGEROUS (in multiple ways) and silly business.

Better add butter to that popcorn!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have watched his videos and find them very confrontational. I get what is trying to be done but the way it is done doesn’t help our cause. It just strengthens the anti arguments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I am like the only person in the state who doesn't get arrested or bothered by the local LEO's when they check to see why I'm carrying a sidearm while fishing?

They ask me what I'm doing. I tell them I'm fishing.

They ask about the sidearm. They ask for some ID. They go on about their business.

Although I've only been approached in 5 counties, it has never been a problem.

Same thing when on the motorcycle. Haven't been stopped in over a year now but still OC daily.

The last time I was "stopped" it was the same questions and results. (State Trooper)

Have a nice day and we're both back to what we were doing.

AD

·
Registered
17,014 Posts
Lotta personal feelings here and nobody is looking objectively at the law which they were not breaking. When this happened we had a thread. I’m pretty sure I remember most of you being upset the MPD drew down on these guys and detained them. Was no mystery what they were doing advance notice or not. Don’t agree or support doing what they did fine but you should still respect their right to do what they were legally doing as one of these days it may be a right you enjoy others don’t care about and gets taken away.

The below quote from the judge tells it all:

“The men were gathered at the Pier, a crowded recreational area that is located near other busy locations, including potential targets for mass-shooting and terrorist attacks,” Williams wrote.

So what?! Still doesn’t justify what happened.

Is this the end or can it be appealed higher? To where?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Although I don’t agree with what they were doing, you do have a point. (y)

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
I am and have always been confused about these kinds of events. While I recognize that the law does give people the right to OC during certain activities, I'm not sure those same activities merit an opportunity for a group OC event. What is it, exactly, that participants are trying to prove? I don't mean that as criticism, I'm simply asking the question because I don't know the answer.

If I had to guess that answer, I would say it has something to do with perhaps educating people that a person with a firearm on their hip is not automatically a danger to them - but that's just my guess.

So what is it exactly that this activity is trying to prove?

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
I would say the participants claim it brings awareness to the open carry law and that open carry is not a bad thing. YMMV>

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I would say the participants claim it brings awareness to the open carry law and that open carry is not a bad thing. YMMV>
I’ve never understood how the spectacle of batch of guys in handcuffs, surrounded by LE “normalizes” open carry in a positive way or succeeds in changing minds about open carry. In fact, IMHO, it accomplishes the opposite.

Does the casual observer see such a thing and think to themselves “Aww, poor law abiding citizens doing nothing wrong“ or “gun nuts!”?

These open carry exhibitions have been going on for several years now and I don’t see any evidence that Florida is any closer to passing it nor the public has become any more aware.

If you want to go fishing, go fishing. Since open carry is legal while fishing in Florida, if you want to open carry while fishing, go for it. However, propping an un baited fishing rod against the railing with zero intentions of actually doing any fishing is disingenuous and deceitful IMHO.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
If you want to go fishing, go fishing. Since open carry is legal while fishing in Florida, if you want to open carry while fishing, go for it. However, propping an un baited fishing rod against the railing with zero intentions of actually doing any fishing is disingenuous and deceitful IMHO.
This.

And intentionally parking far away, so you can walk through a crowded farmer's market with your AR strapped to your back while carrying a fishing pole as a PROP... on the way to fake fishing at the bridge.... is obviously intended to PROVOKE not "educate."

I know that was a different incident - in WPB, I think. But, the point stands and is the same. These CLOWNS are not advocating for the 2nd Amendment. They're attention-starved clowns who are causing more harm to the cause of 2nd Amendment advocacy. And, they are the reason I dropped my membership in FC. I'd sooner join Dudley's group than rejoin FC.

These activities aren't demonstrations. They're STUNTS. I want no part of stunts when it comes to protecting our Constitutional Rights.

It may be "legal," but it's a REALLY bad idea. It's NOT the way to advance our cause. It's NOT the way to advocate for our Constitutional Rights. I cannot support it.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I believe the people who do these videos have a self identity issue. Their real job is probably not that significant or fulfilling and they have to post these “look at me, look at me” videos to fill some sort of need for self importance. We used to critique lawyers websites and it verified that the more of a self identity issue they had the greater the number of pictures of themselves they posted. In most cases, the less successful the lawyer, the more pictures of themselves and their “accomplishments” they posted.

These stunts are a recipe for disaster these days. What happens if a concealed carrier draws down or shoots one? Do they unstrap the AR and start a war?I would love to see one go to trial and prove that the guy was carrying a popeils pocket fisherman as a prop only and not really fishing. Maybe that would put an end to some of this dangerous behavior. Somebody’s gonna get hurt if this keeps up.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
“The men were gathered at the Pier, a crowded recreational area that is located near other busy locations, including potential targets for mass-shooting and terrorist attacks,” Williams wrote.
There are so many people on the planet, EVERY LOCATION is a potential target for a mass-shooting (especially when defined as only 3 people), or a terrorist attack.
It's a totally meaningless statement.

·
Super Moderator
30,402 Posts
I believe the people who do these videos have a self identity issue. Their real job is probably not that significant or fulfilling and they have to post these “look at me, look at me” videos to fill some sort of need for self importance. We used to critique lawyers websites and it verified that the more of a self identity issue they had the greater the number of pictures of themselves they posted. In most cases, the less successful the lawyer, the more pictures of themselves and their “accomplishments” they posted.

These stunts are a recipe for disaster these days. What happens if a concealed carrier draws down or shoots one? Do they unstrap the AR and start a war?I would love to see one go to trial and prove that the guy was carrying a popeils pocket fisherman as a prop only and not really fishing. Maybe that would put an end to some of this dangerous behavior. Somebody’s gonna get hurt if this keeps up.
Or the Legislature tries to remove or narrow the exemption for fishing. :unsure:

Reactions: Shark1007

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm fairly sure all of us here know the law, but to push it to the extents I've seen these guys do is asking for trouble (IMO) and leaves a black mark on the ones following the law correctly. That OC clause was put in to cover folks fishing at a lake away from populated areas, not in the middle of a city that hates gun owners. This kind of thing only adds fuel to the anti-gun fires, especially the ones that want to take our "Assault rifles" away.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Or the Legislature tries to remove or narrow the exemption for fishing. :unsure:
That's that is kind where I was going with my question about what are people participating in these events trying to prove exactly? It seems to me, given the highly polarized discourse in virtually everything, that nagging folks using a small exception in the law would most likely result in that exception being removed. I don't see any possible way for deliberately antagonizing people to result in them changing their views. If anything, they'll come away with the continued perception that the presence of guns poses a danger to them AND the people who do it are a public nuisance.

I wondered if perhaps these folks think that it's the repetition that will make the difference; that if they only hold enough of these events then minds will be swayed in favor of their goals. If that strategy worked, shouldn't we expect the sovereign citizen movement to have some traction by now? The frequency of those interactions with LE and courts increased, yet there has been no corresponding change to existing laws as a result. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts