Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I cant carry in a federal building, but what about the if I leave my gun locked in my car? I ask because at least once a month i have appointments at the VA Hospital and once you go in the parking lot there is a sign that says no weapons allowed, so if its early in the morning I leave my gun at home and then pick it up before head to work and if it is half way through the day I leave my gun at home, today I forgot about an appointment in the evening and I am carrying my gun, can I just leave it secure in the car or I should even have it in the car? Sorry if it is a stupid question but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The statute prohibiting firearms in federal facilities is written as if it applies only to the buildings but not the parking lots. There may be something in the CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) or some court case that interprets it as extending to the parking lot also. I can't say there isn't such a rule or court interpretation because I've not researched it, nor am I licensed to give a legal opinion on the matter in the State of Florida. So please do not construe this as legal advice. Someone with more expertise than I may have a better answer.

As a practical matter, just don't tell anyone it's there. Leave it locked in your car. They won't search your car for it and no one will be any the wiser.

- Str8Shooter

·
Super Moderator
3,105 Posts
Logic dictates that if you legally carry and have to go inside the building, you will have to leave your weapon locked in your vehicle, however logic does not always dictate when it comes to legal nuance.

I did a quick read in Gutmacher's book about Federal building parking, but did not see anything specifically mentioned. He did mention the term "facility" when speaking about a college or university.

It reads... "The definition of "facility" normally relates to buildings, and structures... thus, an entrance road or parking lot should not ordinarily fall within this definition. However there is no Florida decisions regarding this, and the interpretation, for now, is purely mine. (Gutmacher's)

Source: Gutmacher Florida Firearms, Chapter Five, p.65

If you parse the above, Gutmacher draws a distinction between not being able to carry within a building and it's parking lot. I certainly am nobody to give you a definitive answer based on the information above, so if you absolutely wish to play it safe, i would call the Federal Building and ask for their security office and ask.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I always leave mine in the truck when I go to the VA hospital in Orlando..I brought up the subject on one of the VA Clinics I was at one time to the attending physician..They told me dont bring it in..but no problem as long as I left it in the vehicle..

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
About the only places I can think of where it might be prohibited by law (as opposed to some corporate policy) to keep a weapon locked in your car in the parking lot would be at schools (not colleges or universities) and prisons. I think anywhere else you're OK. I could be wrong about that, but those are the only two that I'm fairly certain are completely verbotten.

·
Super Moderator
6,153 Posts
About the only places I can think of where it might be prohibited by law (as opposed to some corporate policy) to keep a weapon locked in your car in the parking lot would be at schools (not colleges or universities) and prisons.
Gutmacher states in his book on page 144 that "In brief, the law [18 USC 922(q)] makes it a federal crime punishable by up to five years imprisonment to knowingly possess a firearm in a "school zone" unless you meet certain exceptions. ... The exceptions are any of the following: 1. You've got a concealed permit..."

page 145 second paragraph goes on to say "The first subsection )1) deals with unlawful exhibition of weapons and firearms, and does not pertain to mere possession."

Will someone please tell me if I'm breaking the law by putting my gun in the car console that is parked in the school parking lot while I'm inside (unarmed) watching my son's basketball practice?

I've read the sections in the book so much that it is now clear as mud. I need clarification before I start to panic and think I'm going to get hauled off to jail or something.

Thanks.

MamaBear

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
My belief that having a weapon inside a vehicle in a school parking lot is prohibited is based for the most part on the signs when you enter school parking lots in Clay County that say "No weapons allowed" and "All vehicles subject to search" or words to that effect, and I assume that those signs are enforceable. But I thought they had established, or were considering, an exception allowing you to have a firearm inside your vehicle while on school property as long as you were either picking up or dropping off a student and you remained inside your vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
MamaBear, the federal you refer to is not applicable to CWFL holders, as you state.

790.115 Possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school-sponsored event or on school property prohibited; penalties; exceptions.-- is the applicable statute for your question.

See what you think after reading that. I don't have kidz, so I never really looked into it much.

I believe Deadeyedick is correct as well, but I've never been able to find a cite for picking up/dropping off your kids.

Hope this helps, at least a little.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your answers I will leave it in the car. They never search your car anyway but i wanted to do the right thing. I left it in the car last night. And I will continue to do that in that way I dont have to stop at home going to or comig from VA.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I work in a federal building. There are signs posted at the entrance to the building but nothing in the parking lot. Unless the parking lot is fenced in and gaurded at the gate, then I've been told that the parking lot is considered public property. Usually that is the case with most federal buildings (the interior of the building is off limits unless you are "authorized" to carry in the building).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Knives on Gov't property

Can I carry my swiss army knife everywhere? It's the simplest thing everyone knows as a "pocket knife". Can I do the same with a sub-3" blade knife? I know there's some grey area with knives. It should be fine, but I'm questioning it for other areas like the post office. (Heck I keep a 4" blade knife in my desk. It's a fixed blade kitchen knife for using at lunch.)

I work at a manufacturing plant that has government contracts. It's their policy to be treated like a government facility. I'm trying to pick out a knife to buy that I can keep with me at all times because I can't carry a firearm in some places.

If I've been unclear say so and I'll try to clarify.

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
Just because it's their 'policy' to be treated like a government facility doesn't make them one.

In FL, though our knife laws are fairly vague, case law generally supports blades under 4" as 'common pocket knives' and not 'weapons', as long as they're not an auto....

I wouldn't blink about carrying a knife in the post office.

·
Registered
11,197 Posts
I'd say you could carry a knife just about anywhere that doesn't have metal detectors. It's a cutting tool, not a weapon. ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unless prohibited by state or local law or required in the performance of a job assignment, it is the policy of the Company that no employee, visitor, contractor, vendor, customer, or any other person may introduce or possess firearms, explosives, knives of any type having no common lawful purpose or other weapons on company property, including company owned or leased parking areas and company vehicles.

Possession includes the presence of a weapon on the employee, in his or her motor vehicle, locker, workstation, furniture, office, personal parcels, carried items or any other place of storage under the employee's control.

The Company reserves the right to search for weapons or for any good business reason, any areas on company premises including the employee's motor vehicle, locker, workstation furniture, office, personal parcels, carried items or any other place of storage under the employee's control.
The parking lot thing kills me. I know there was a ruling about that. They'll have no reason to search my car, and I've never heard of them doing so. I dont want to turn heads when I pull out my knife. I'll probly go for a very light weight blade or a 'gentlemen's knife'. I like my job. ;)

·
Super Moderator
19,799 Posts
The parking lot thing kills me. I know there was a ruling about that. They'll have no reason to search my car, and I've never heard of them doing so. I dont want to turn heads when I pull out my knife. I'll probly go for a very light weight blade or a 'gentlemen's knife'. I like my job. ;)
Yes there was. Their policy regarding the parking lots is against the law (if you have a CWFL).

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Leaving the weapon locked up in you vehicle in the parking lot is fine. Keep it from sight, and in a good case, though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
790.251(7)(d) Basically, I'm boned. I'll have to try to get a parking spot on the street.

(7) EXCEPTIONS.--The prohibitions in subsection (4) do not apply to:

(a) Any school property as defined and regulated under s. 790.115.

(b) Any correctional institution regulated under s. 944.47 or chapter 957.

(c) Any property where a nuclear-powered electricity generation facility is located.

(d) Property owned or leased by a public or private employer or the landlord of a public or private employer upon which are conducted substantial activities involving national defense, aerospace, or homeland security.

(e) Property owned or leased by a public or private employer or the landlord of a public or private employer upon which the primary business conducted is the manufacture, use, storage, or transportation of combustible or explosive materials regulated under state or federal law, or property owned or leased by an employer who has obtained a permit required under 18 U.S.C. s. 842 to engage in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in explosive materials on such property.

(f) A motor vehicle owned, leased, or rented by a public or private employer or the landlord of a public or private employer.

(g) Any other property owned or leased by a public or private employer or the landlord of a public or private employer upon which possession of a firearm or other legal product by a customer, employee, or invitee is prohibited pursuant to any federal law, contract with a federal government entity, or general law of this state.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i was just at the VA the other day and the dr. i was talking to there who is a NRA member told me that I cannot even have it in my car in the parking lot. he said i would have to park at the publix next to the VA and walk over. I said " well I guess im lucky I forgot it at home today isnt it" ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts