Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a CCW forum but many of us also keep a shotgun for self defense. What is your favorite SD ammo and if you stagger your loads tell us about that.

Thanks,

Skiffer

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Number 1 buckshot. No particular reason except that it's big enough to fix up an intruder and small enough to have a good collection of pellets.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
In my Remington 1100 I have the first 6 rounds of 00 Buck and the last 2 rounds are slugs.

If that doesn't stop what I am shooting at, then I am going to do my imitation of Jesse Owens and run like : censored !!

·
Registered
78 Posts
12GA Remington Pump with 3" shells of No. 4 buckshot. I have always lived in apartments and crappy houses with roommates that I do not feel like spraying with 00 through a wall. That gives me 41 pellets per shell. I think its 5+1, so 246 .24inch pellets. The place I live now I do not keep it loaded though. I just keep the 9mm on my desk. It was my primary home defense weapon before I turned 21 though and also when I lived in a rather sketchy area I always kept it loaded and locked in a wall safe.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
I have a Mossberg 500 with a fully rifled barrell that I shoot sabots in. I use it for home defense and hunting as well.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Hornaday Tap FPD 00 buck, Remington 870 shotty

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
Mossberg 590 with #4

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use 000 buck in my Judge. The first 3 shells are 000 buck and the last 2 are 45 longs. That should stop pretty much anyone.

Will

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
12GA Remington Pump with 3" shells of No. 4 buckshot.
Using 3" shells won't really give you any additional lethality over 2.75" rounds at typical HD distances.

I use 000 buck in my Judge. The first 3 shells are 000 buck and the last 2 are 45 longs. That should stop pretty much anyone.

Will
You may be better off just loading all five chambers with .45 LC...I recently read (sorry, I can't remeber where) a rather extensive evaluation of .410 buckshot shells as defensive rounds; they have very limited penetration and are pretty anemic for use against two-legged predators, especially when fired from a short-barreled weapon like the Taurus Judge.

My personal choice for a shotgun defensive load is Federal Tactical Low Recoil 00 Buckshot in 12 gauge...if those don't do the trick, I also keep a couple of Brenneke 1 oz. slugs in the Sidesaddle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I keep a stevens 311 with a butt cuff holding 3 #6 remington and 3 #00 Fiocchi low recoil 12 ga. The low recoil Fiocchi stuff is sweet.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Fed Tactical 12ga 00 Buck in the tube. Fed VitalShok 1oz. slugs in the side saddle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ultra 87 shotgun with Federal Tactical low recoil 00 buckshot in the magazine (cruiser ready) along with a couple Federal Tactical low recoil slugs on the side saddle.

·
Registered
11,170 Posts
Remington 870 alternating 0000 buck and slugs with 0000 the first round. 00 buck on the stock cuff.

Brownie
0000? What is that, like 3 pellets? :rolf

I thought it only went up to 000. :confused:

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
0000 buck=.38 caliber balls weighing 85 grains. Used in loads for buffalo sized game

I went back and changed the post, what I meant was #4 buck, thanks for bringing this one to my attention DE.

12 Ga. #4 buck=27 .24 caliber balls 1 shot stops are estimated at 83-85%

12 Ga. 00 buck is rated at roughly 88-93% one shot stops

Brownie

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Anybody familiar with Rio shot shells? I've found low recoil 00 buck for $26 for 50 rnds..Wanted to know if the mftr is reliable..
Thanks..

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
#00 Buck full magazine (Hornady TAP), 2 slugs (Winchester) and 3 #00 in stock saddle. Wife's 12 gauge uses #00 buck low recoil (Federal and Winchester). No slugs for her. Thinking about getting and testing some Winchester Ranger #00 buck, since I've been stumbling across boxes of 25 for decent prices (compared to Hornady TAP).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Mossberg 500 with #1 Buck.

I thought about staggering rounds for a while, but I stopped staggering them in the .357 because I eventually came to see that when you're firing, you want every shot to feel consistent so you can stay on target and keep cycling smoothly. Same thinking applies to the shotgun.

·
Banned
4,530 Posts
12 Gauge Federal Premium 2 3/4" Copper Plated 9 Pellet OO Buckshot

1 - 20 of 25 Posts