Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developing fast twitch muscles or slow twitch muscles, which do you work on more than the other, and ----------------why? Do you know how both are developed, their purpose and the potential benefit on the streets [ SD wise ]?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Well, I’m not going to spoil it for folks but as an offshore fisherman, I’ve been a student of fast twitch versus slow twitch muscles for years. Tuna are slow twitch muscle fish. Their musculature is aerobic in nature, fatigue resistant and they just keep going and going like the energizer bunny. Typically those muscle fibers are dark red being very vascular. Atlantic dolphin or, as the yuppies call the “ mahi-mahi“ are fast twitch muscle fibers fish. They are capable of very fast runs for short periods of time and then they run out of gas. They have a very light colored white meat that goes well with Chardonnay.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
Developing fast twitch muscles or slow twitch muscles, which do you work on more than the other, and ----------------why? Do you know how both are developed, their purpose and the potential benefit on the streets [ SD wise ]?
I don’t know Brownie.

I can play guitar licks very fast, which requires a lot of fast movement of the fingers of the left hand, and fast picking with the right, which mostly involves whole hand movement from the wrist, along with the anchor point of the right hand little finger, or a combination of little finger and right hand ring finger. That’s for a flat picker (which I am), as opposed to a finger picker, which I only use occasionally when playing acoustic guitar.

None of that creates any “fast twich” muscle development of my right hand trigger finger as far as I can tell...

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
as a technician and a student of economy of motion, slow twitch and a steady, paced effort usually outlast and outrun fast twitch, high burn movements and get the job done more efficiently with less fatigue...the only time fast twitch is required usually involves a reaction to stimulus that can be detrimental to continued growth or health...both have their place and if developed properly do their job quite well...one who uses their hands and mind in conjunction with the other as a habit keeps both honed to a fine but sturdy edge...

the race goes to the one who endures...or...the race goes to the swift...depends on the whole picture...and what kind of race it is...

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Ready to learn.

Back to Tuna. I have noticed if you fight a tuna for a long period of time the larger the area filled in dark red meat that I don't want to eat. The shorter the fight and faster the kill the more tasty pink meat we shall eat.

Reactions: brownie

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I don’t want to derail the thread but on tuna, they fight so hard and long that their musculature becomes highly oxygenated and their body temperature gets really hot. When we catch larger tuna species, we “swim“ them alongside the boat. This allows them to recover and increases the quality of the meat. You do that by attaching a large gaff type hook to the lower jaw. There is a process for gutting them, bleeding them and you always make sure that only one side of the fish ever touches the deck.

·
Registered
20,764 Posts
i find an easy to use and sharp can opener makes the tuna easier to bring to table...

·
Registered
55,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never considered the difference in your training regimens discussed extensively here? How one or the other may affect their performance, enhance or be a detriment to that performance. Here, I'll give an example from my world on fast twitch muscle development. Shots per second with a pistol, accurate shots [ within an 8-10" circle COM ]. I'd been shooting 3 rounds a second, wanted to increase that to 4 per second on threat. Hmm, started pulling the trigger faster trying to get to 4 per while maintaining that 8-10" group at typical combat distances. Discovered that if I didn't worry about grouping them, ran the trigger finger past a comfort level for several sessions, I'd gained that 4th shot second, and the control grouping was there once again. Pushing that trigger finger past it's comfort level repeatedly, got me to 4 per second with control but ONLY AFTER the finger fast twitch muscles had been further developed. If you don't push past your comfort level [ repetitively wise ] you won't gain the speed your finger is actually capable of. So, on to draw stroke speed, same training regimen with an empty gun. Pushing to out of control repeatedly has increased my shoulder/elbow/hand speed to get to a 1 second from concealed draw stroke. Look at the top competitors in the shooting sports. They push for hours at a time, past their present comfort level to gain the speed in various aspects of their sport. Then over time, they've developed those twitch muscles to be faster and have regained control where accuracy is concerned. PUSH PAST your present level of speed, even if out of control, you're developing those fast twitch muscles. It's one of the reasons I can still tap [ strike ] someone 5 times a second [ both hands used ]. Had gotten to 7 times a second, but with age, I'm down to 5 per. Still faster at close to 70 than most will ever attain. The double sticks helped immensely in this regard.

So, with the above post, who had worked on developing their fast twitch muscles

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
I’ll start working on it, if I can ever get my airsoft M&P back from Bob! :ROFLMAO:

That would seem to be a good use for that; both for trigger finger and draw speed.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Brownie

Good suggestion, I’ve never thought of that. You can train speed and that makes a lot of sense. I will give it a try, that will distract my wife while watching a movie tonight.

Anduril, it has to do with protecting the meat against bruising, beginning spoliation with lactic acid accumulation, blood coagulation etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts