Votes: 18 17.5%
  • No, no need for it

Votes: 24 23.3%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My carry gun is a Glock19 and I always carry 15+1. I have extra mags loaded at home but I have never carried them when out and about. I'm counting on the fact that my mags are reliable enough to not need a back-up. Is this a bad move or good move? I have carried the extra mag in in the truck though.

To get a feel for what everyone else does I'm doing this poll.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
my mag fits 12 and i keep it at 12 to bring it to 12+1 well might be unlucky for me ah but i could look at it as being unlucky for the BG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My regular carry guns are a Rohrbaugh R9S (9mm, 6+1) or a Glock G36 (.45, 6+1), so an extra magazine gives me a total of 13 rounds. I always carry a spare.

If I'm out late at night, or know I'm going to be in a questionable neighborhood (which is all of Jacksonville these days), I'll carry the Kimber Pro CDP which gives me 8+1. A spare mag gives me another 8, for a total of 17 rounds.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45 acp.

I always have at least one, maybe two, extra mags with me when I carry concealed.

They are loaded with Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Point ammo.

Big enough to stop any bad situation in a hurry! :D

:thumsup

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a Colt Combat Commander in .45 acp.

I always have at least one, maybe two, extra mags with me when I carry concealed.

They are loaded with Federal Premium 230 grain Hydra Shok Jacketed Hollow Point ammo.

Big enough to stop any bad situation in a hurry! :D

Whats your main reason for the extra mags?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Whats your main reason for the extra mags?
Being an ex-LEO, I always had extra ammo on me on duty and off duty.

Now I carry at least one mag for sure out of habit, and the second one if I think I am going to be in a part of town that has had problems in the past ( ie: Ybor City in Tampa, etc.).

Also I am a self-admitted type A, and live by the creed ... " better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. "

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Always carry a spare mag. The one in the gun could malf for any reason no matter how reliable it has been in the past.

If I can carry a gun all day/everyday, it's certainly no trouble to carry a spare mag as well. One never knows what we'll be thrown into or if we'll need more ammo or not for any reason.

My carry is either a g17 or g19, with a g17 spare mag on the hip or in the back pocket.

Forethought goes a long way

Brownie

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Mechanical devices that we put our faith in to perform properly have a tendency to fail just when we need them.

Having said that, I currently do not carry an extra mag with me. I need to iron some thing out with all the crap I walk around with before I decide how to add a relatively heavy, fully loaded spare mag into the mix.

When I do start carrying the spare, it won't be for capacity, as my SR9 will hold 17+1. And though I have yet to experience a mag-related failure, I'll feel better knowing I can easily get my gun back into action once I start lugging that spare mag around.

-JT

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
SingleStack45,

Tomorrow I'm carrying the sig 220 "carry" single stack 45. I'll also be going to two spare 8 rd mags tomorrow.

Brownie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Until recently, I only had spare mags in the car. I finally started making the needed changes to carry 2 spare mags when I'm out and about with the 220 Carry Elite. It took it a while to sink in that I might need more than 8+1 but it is now just a given that I have the 2 spares on me in a Milt Sparks dual mag carrier.

FLSig

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I am carrying my G19 I always have a spare mag in a Blackhawk mag pouch. A few weeks ago me and the other half went to church...she did not know I was carrying. When the service was over and the band started to play we stood up....when I got up out of the small High School auditorium seats...my mag pouch (that seems nearly impossible to get off at home) came off of my belt and hit the floor...she asked "what was that"...I responded "nothing" she again hit me with "what was that" I said "it was my lighter" she then...in a very loud voice said "you're not carrying a GUN in church are you"....at this time everyone around us stopped and turned to stare at me. I scooped up my mag pouch and magazine and walked out very fast. Needless to say...she does not allow me to go to church with her anymore...maybe I should write a letter to Blackhawk Industries and complain that their product has interfered with my church time...hahaha..also..I put the pouch back on my belt and when I got home it was the usual pain in the a## to get it back off...maybe it was a sign from above or something..who knows...I still carry one extra mag tho..

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I am carrying my G19 I always have a spare mag in a Blackhawk mag pouch. A few weeks ago me and the other half went to church...she did not know I was carrying. When the service was over and the band started to play we stood up....when I got up out of the small High School auditorium seats...my mag pouch (that seems nearly impossible to get off at home) came off of my belt and hit the floor...she asked "what was that"...I responded "nothing" she again hit me with "what was that" I said "it was my lighter" she then...in a very loud voice said "you're not carrying a GUN in church are you"....at this time everyone around us stopped and turned to stare at me. I scooped up my mag pouch and magazine and walked out very fast. Needless to say...she does not allow me to go to church with her anymore...maybe I should write a letter to Blackhawk Industries and complain that their product has interfered with my church time...hahaha..also..I put the pouch back on my belt and when I got home it was the usual pain in the a## to get it back off...maybe it was a sign from above or something..who knows...I still carry one extra mag tho..
The sign from above is saying not to carry an extra mag in church only your gun :rolf

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
The sign from above is saying not to carry an extra mag in church only your gun

:eek: Priceless, absolutely funny as hell. Good thing I hadn't a cup of coffee in front of me when I read that.

Brownie

·
Registered
578 Posts
Actually two extra.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My primary carry weapon is an XD .45. It holds 13+1 and I almost always carry an extra mag in my pocket or in the mag holder that comes with the weapon. That gives me a total of 28 rounds just in case I have to take on a small terrorist infantry unit...:rolf
:ak

·
Registered
55,261 Posts
Don't need another one my M & P 40 is 15+1. Figgure if i can't hit it with 16 i am going to throw it and run

An extra mag is carried not so much for the idea you may need more than 16 rds as a rule, but to increase the chances of staying in the fight should the mag in the gun puke at the worst time.

Ripping the old one out and replacing it immediately with a fresh working mag is an option I want to err on the side of caution for, and the inevitable Murphy rearing his ugly head at the worst of times and throwing a monkey wrench your way.

Then again, if it ever becomes that one in 10,000 protracted gun battles, you'll also be happy you had that spare mag [ or two ] which also goes to erring on the side of caution. I've never heard anyone complain they had too much ammo in a gun battle.:drinks

Brownie

1 - 20 of 53 Posts