Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I work at a state college and, as a CCW holder, am well aware of the restrictions that go with that. But, I have a couple of questions I thought folks here might be able to answer...

First, though our college president has said in a past email to staff (which nobody can seem to find now) that he was exercising the exemption allowed for "school districts" to prohibit vehicle carry on college property, there is nothing explicitly listed in our policies and procedures OR our student handbook / rights and responsibilities. I do know that we've had folks arrested for having weapons in their vehicles, but there were also extra charges filed in those cases, so they don't mirror a simple, upstanding citizen carrying in their car.

Does anybody know of any schools where this has come up? I've read that the University of North Florida is being sued because they also claim the exemption and have published as much, but they are not legally a "school district."

Second, in the situation that a student or ex-employee were to be considered unstable - I know that some have been Baker-acted - if there were a likelyhood of violence against current staff, is there any possibility of getting either a) an exemption to CCW on campus, or b) an exemption to carrying in a vehicle? Unarmed security officers calling for the nearest LEO can't really help much...

TIA for any help.

·
Registered
15,142 Posts
:popcorn

·
Registered
448 Posts
Feel free to contact Florida carry and discuss it with them.

Our position in the UNF case is that UNF is most certainly not a school district. However, as an employee, you are not protected by 790.251. Schools,not just school districts are exempt from the guns in parking lot law. There is a good argument that the .251 exemption only protects private schools however not public schools which cannot make such a rule due to 790.33. That case will have to wait for a later date.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, who is protected by 790.251? Section 7a says that the prohibition against vehicle carry doesn't apply to schools as defined in 790.115 and 790.115 defines "school" as pretty much any place where teaching takes place. BUT, 790.115 also says that I may vehicle carry pursuant to 790.25(5) - which just says its legal to vehicle carry - unless my school *district* has a *written* and *published* policy waiving the exemption.

I'm not stupid or rich enough to be the test case here, but the two sections seem to be at odds with one another. How can .115 give me permission to vehicle carry (assuming no written and published policy) in a school parking lot, and .251 say that I can't?

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
How can .115 give me permission to vehicle carry (assuming no written and published policy) in a school parking lot, and .251 say that I can't?
.251 doesn't say that you CAN'T. What it says is that schools are an exception to the guarantee that you CAN. So, a private employer is not allowed to have a policy that says you can't keep a gun in your car, in the parking lot. And even if they did have such a policy, it would not carry the weight of law. But a school district CAN have such a policy, and it DOES carry the weight of law.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
.251 doesn't say that you CAN'T. What it says is that schools are an exception to the guarantee that you CAN. So, a private employer is not allowed to have a policy that says you can't keep a gun in your car, in the parking lot. And even if they did have such a policy, it would not carry the weight of law. But a school district CAN have such a policy, and it DOES carry the weight of law.
Not all private employers. Mine is exempted. Grrrr.

·
Super Moderator
19,788 Posts
:thumsup

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
And I might add, if this is truly a big concern for you, you should consider supporting Florida Carry.

A small membership fee goes a long way and Florida Carry is who fights these things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts