Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I flew from Orlando via Atlanta to Las Vegas yesterday on Delta, with my SA XD45C, and two boxes of Speer Gold Dot locked in a hard side case in the checked baggage.

No problem whatsoever. I had called Delta the night before, read up on the rules on the TSA websight, purchased a hardsided locking gun box, and declared the weapon upon checkin.

The lady had me sign a red tag certification that the weapon was locked in a hard sided box and was unloaded. This tag went into the checked luggage. She took me over to the curbside baggage screen, and inserted my bag into that screen. I didn't have to open the checked bag, nor open the gun box and display the weapon. They just sent it through X-Rax and told me I was good to go.

And no problem picking up the bag from the carosel in Las Vegas.

What a pleasant experience! Let's hope the process remains this easy.

Ron

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Very good to hear of your pleasant experience :thumsup. If and when I travel I hope to get the same treatment.

·
Registered
79 Posts
What gun case did you purchase, and did you put in the case in other luggage? I'm going to be traveling a couple times in the beginning of the year, will be taking two or three guns with me on one of the trips, and am starting to look into cases. Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought the Doskocil "Case Deluxe Two Handgun" from B&H Gunrack in Merritt Island. It's about 4"X6"X12" holding two semi-autos, maybe 3 if you throw in a small .25 or .380.

I unloaded the weapon and mags, putting the ammo in the original boxes, and putting the boxes under the bottom foam partition. I locked the box and, using the locking device provided with my XD, locked the case to a structural part inside the medium size handle-pull-rolling type luggage. I then locked the outside zippers together.

Here are a couple of pics. It shows a loaded mag if you can see it, but make sure all the ammo is encased as prescribed by TSA (usually the cardboard boxes that you buy it in).

Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good to know!

I'm glad your experience was so smooth. After reading your remarks, I will probably padlock my case to the inside of my suitcase also to make it harder to pilfer and lock the outside of the suitcase with TSA approved padlocks.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

- Str8Shooter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts