Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Dan. I just completed my CCW class and really don't know much at all about guns. This forum seems very helpful, so I'm going to create a series of threads that, with your help, will educate me about my new life as a licensed gun carrying American.

So uh...what's expansion? I've been readin a lot of threads that talk about a 9mm "expanding" or how a +p round might not have time to "expand" in a snubnose barrel. Can someone explain "expansion" to me?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Usually, expansion refers to how much the bullet expands from it's original diameter after impacting your target. A FMJ round will generally expand very little compared a JHP round, which is designed to expand via the hollow cavity at the tip of the bullet.

It's conceivable that a round fired from a short-barreled/snub-nosed handgun will expand less than one fired from a longer barreled gun because the shorter barrel will tend to yield slower bullet velocity.

It can also refer to the slight expansion a bullet can have (depending on design) in the barrel, so that the sides of the bullet press into the rifling so spin will be imparted. With a snubby wheelgun, the short barrel could possibly not give the bullet enough time to expand and contact the rifling, affecting accuracy, but this is probably a bigger issue with total metal jacket (TMJ) bullets, that don't have a soft lead base to allow expansion.

-JT

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dan, you're asking a lot of good questions. I can't help but think that you might be well served by taking a basic pistol class, and/or a private lesson. When I took my CWL class, I didn't own a gun and had almost no experience, and sat there with so many questions, I knew I needed some individual training, so hired an instructor just to help with basics. We went gun shopping, and I got to shoot a variety of makes and calibers, focusing almost solely on stance, grip, etc., and learned the gun I'd planned on buying wasn't right for me at all. I also got a hands-on lesson on how to clean my guns and mags, ammo choices, clearing jams, drawing from a holster and holster choices, etc.: stuff that I needed to be shown in person, rather than read up on. I learned enough to feel comfortable practicing on my own, but since I'm still a newbie, I'll continue to take classes or private lessons as time and finances allow.

Since you're fairly local to me, and if you're interested, just pm me and I'll give you contact info for an instructor I like.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts

So uh...what's expansion? I've been readin a lot of threads that talk about a 9mm "expanding" or how a +p round might not have time to "expand" in a snubnose barrel. Can someone explain "expansion" to me?
Thanks,
Dan

Bullet expansion looks like this ......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts