Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Dan. I just completed my CCW class and really don't know much at all about guns. This forum seems very helpful, so I'm going to create a series of threads that, with your help, will educate me about my new life as a licensed gun carrying American.

Hi again,

OK, something has confused me about chambering a round. If I load the magazine and insert it, then rack the slide, I'll have a chambered round, but one will be missing from the magazine. Do I them op out the mag, load another bullet and re-insert, thus having a fully loaded pistol? ::Stupid question alert::: OR would I lock back the slide and insert a round through the open breech?

Any help here is appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Only load ammo with the mag.

NEVER ADD AMMO THOUGH THE EJECTION PORT! Load mag the to capacity rack the slide. Drop the map add the extra round.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Ditto to what uponone said.

In general, a semiauto handgun is designed to be a controlled feed weapon, meaning the extractor grabs the rim as the round is stripped from the magazine and chambered. If you try to load a round into the chamber through the ejection port the slide will likely not go into battery, because the extractor is hitting the back of the round, or the extractor will get forced over the rim, eventually damaging the extractor hook.

If you want to carry "mag capacity + 1", then yes, you'd need to load a mag to properly chamber one round, and then load a full capacity mag after.

Basically, you'll need a "Barney mag" to chamber a round, then pop a full mag in after.

-JT

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Please keep in mind that even though the magazine is out of the gun and there is a round chambered, the gun is still loaded and capable of firing the round if you pull the trigger

Treat all guns as if they were loaded

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Load mag the to capacity rack the slide. Drop the map add the extra round.
This one.:D

·
Registered
65 Posts
On a slightly related note, be sure to rack the slide by pulling it all the way back and letting it go. Never 'ride it home' by holding onto it as you lower it back to 'battery'. Semis are designed to work with the full power and excelleration of that spring to chamber the next round. On some guns, or before some are broken in, you can get a lot of jams and headache by 'riding it home'. Just all the back and let it go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey folks,

Thanks very much for the replies so far. i'm really learning a lot through all my threads.

One thing with regard to the post below:

NEVER ADD AMMO THOUGH THE EJECTION PORT! Load mag the to capacity rack the slide. Drop the map add the extra round.
I'm certainly ready to take your advice and don't see any reason to add ammo through the ejection port. No problem. I did, however, see this on Youtube:

Check this video starting at the 4:30 mark. He talks about the ability to "direct chamber load" and M9.

Is that a bad idea? And, of course, I'm smarter than just deciding I can do whatever I see on Youtube. I just thought it was interesting considering what you typed above.

Again, thanks guys.

Dan

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Hey folks,

Thanks very much for the replies so far. i'm really learning a lot through all my threads.

One thing with regard to the post below:

I'm certainly ready to take your advice and don't see any reason to add ammo through the ejection port. No problem. I did, however, see this on Youtube:

Check this video starting at the 4:30 mark. He talks about the ability to "direct chamber load" and M9.

Is that a bad idea? And, of course, I'm smarter than just deciding I can do whatever I see on Youtube. I just thought it was interesting considering what you typed above.

Again, thanks guys.

Dan
Dan,

It is possible to load one in the pipe the way the video shows.

I responded as I did, because until you have more experience in handling your handgun, it is safer to:

lock the slide back,

load a magazine into your handgun,

release the slide which will load a round into your handgun,

drop the magazine,

place a round in the magazince,

and replace the magazine into your handgun.

Once you have much more experience than you currently do, and you know how to safely load a round directly into your handgun like the video shows, then you may do it that way.

Until then, please follow the recommendations given and do it the safer way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most guns can do it. It is still hard on the extractor and not a good plan. However if you dropped your mag in the dark ally and happen to have a bullet handy it is do-able.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Page #14

Page 14 also reads not to carry a round in the chamber. Because the gun may fire if droped or struck. Good luck racking the slide when you really need to use the gun for protection.
Common way to load a semi-auto pistol to capacity.(Load mag the to capacity rack the slide. Drop the map add the extra round.)

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Bump to bypass the "Pharmacy" spam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts