Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Dan. I just completed my CCW class and really don't know much at all about guns. This forum seems very helpful, so I'm going to create a series of threads that, with your help, will educate me about my new life as a licensed gun carrying American.

OK folks,

what ammo should I be looking to purchase? If all goes as planned, by next week I should have a 9mm semi-auto pistol. It will almost certainly be a berretta 92 fs. I need to know what I should fire at the range as well as what I should load in the gun for home defense. I won't be carrying the 92 fs since it is rather large. For carrying purposes I'm looking at a Taurus 38 spl snubnose, a Bersa Thunder .380, a Kahr 9mm (if I can find a decent price), or maybe a Glock 26.

I know nothing about ammunition. Hell, I've never even loaded a pistol magazine. But I'm a smart guy and a fast learner, so please guide me in my choice.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Like deadeye said, for regular range practice, Blazer Brass or Winchester White Box should be fine. They'll be 115-gr FMJ, and nice and cheap.

For home defense, you'll likely want to go with some type of hollowpoint round. What you use will be entirely up to you, and you'll need to spend some time finding defensive ammo that is: comfortable for you to shoot, accurate for you and your gun, and reliable in your gun. I tend to use 147-gr JHP, but there are lots of choices to be had.

-JT

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
Some good info here.

For 9mm, I personally use WinchesterWhiteBox (115gr) or GA Arms 124gr for practice.

For carry, our Glocks and Hi-Powers are loaded with Winchester 124gr+P SXTs (T-series bullets). The Winchester 124gr+P Bonded JHP works well, too.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
For carrying purposes I'm looking at a Taurus 38 spl snubnose, a Bersa Thunder .380, a Kahr 9mm (if I can find a decent price), or maybe a Glock 26.
I am not a big fan of a .380 for a self-defense round.

IMHO, you don't want to go smaller than a .38, if you do carry a .38 get the Federal .38 cal. +P Hydra-Shok ammo in full metal jacket hollow point.

Remember, you get what you pay for, and if you are going to depend on your handgun to save your life, you don't want to go with an inexpensive, smaller caliber, handgun.

Personally, I like the .45 acp. It has the stopping power necessary to end a bad situation in a hurry.

Below you will see what the larger calibers can do as far as bullet expandtion and penetration.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
To me, .380ACP is the lower limit for personal carry. The guns typically are nice and tiny, and make very good "carry guns for when you don't want to carry a gun" guns.

If I didn't have to worry about money, I'd carry .45ACP. Like the saying goes, a 9mm round may double it's size in expansion, but a .45ACP round will never shrink.

With that being said, modern 9mm ammo is much better than it was several years ago, and .380ACP ammo is improved as well. I don't feel undergunned with my 9mm EDC at all.

-JT

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dumb newbie Q

Sorry if this has been asked 1,000,000 times before ... but I did do a search here first, and Google'd, and could not find anything out on this ...

What is the difference between 40 S&W and 40S&W?

There must be something, because Glock offers both ...

Regards, Matt :bowdown

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Sorry if this has been asked 1,000,000 times before ... but I did do a search here first, and Google'd, and could not find anything out on this ...

What is the difference between 40 S&W and 40S&W?

There must be something, because Glock offers both ...

Regards, Matt :bowdown
Could you retype your question? Can't figure out what that first choice is supposed to be..
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is what it says

40 S&W

When looking up pistols @ Gander Mountain ... you can sort them by caliber.

They have a choice for 40 S&W, and a choice for 40 S&W

I just cannot figure out what the heck 40 S&W is....

Regards, Matt

·
Registered
95 Posts
I just cannot figure out what the heck 40 S&W is....
"&" is HTML code for "ampersand". ...so, they were trying to write "S&W" (in other words, they're both the same choice, but their database has got some garbage in it)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks

Thanks Xbonz & Brian ... I was thinking ... great, one more thing to research ....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sig P238

Just curious - I recently purchased a P238 (love it!) but when I took it to the range, it didn't seem to like Winchester white box ammo. It was flawless with Remington, so I would lean towards just buying that instead since it's basically the same price, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with Winchester in this gun, or if maybe it's just because it's brand new and needs to be broken in.. Also, I read a comment from someone else that their P238 didn't like hollow points. Any thoughts/advice on what the best ammo is? This is going to be my main carry gun once I get my permit.

Thanks in advance!

~Kit

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
WWB is known for being problematic in more finicky guns. Plus is dirty as hell and sometimes loaded too hot. Very inconsistent ammo IMO.

Sent from iPhone. Hence all the typos!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
For your Bersa .380: I've had range success with Federal American Eagle and Winchester WB (white box). Both FMJ. For SD there are two schools of thought with .380. First, a good JHP - such as Federal Premium. However, many on this site (and in other forums) strongly prefer FMJ for better penetration. I have Buffalo Bore 100 grain hardcast +P in my Walther PPK. Make sure your gun is okay with +P ammo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Was wondering i anyone has any information about the legality of the use of Liberty Halo ammunition? Company is now based in Bradenton, Fl

1 - 20 of 23 Posts