Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I picked up a Ruger LCP and so far so good - I really like the little thing and it invisible in the pocket (in a p-hoster, of course).

The manual gives instructions for loading the gun without the magazine - manually dropping a round in the pipe and releasing the slide. The instructions are for when the mag is unavailable or for training, since the gun doesn't have a mag-safety. However, it is an easier way to get the gun fully loaded: 1)drop one in the pipe, 2)release the slide and 3)insert the mag - vs. - 1)insert the mag, 2)rack the slide, 3)remove mag, 4)add a round and 5) reinsert the mag.

My question: are there safety reasons why this is not the preferred loading method? Is it harder on the gun somehow?

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
A few days ago I picked up a Ruger LCP and so far so good - I really like the little thing and it invisible in the pocket (in a p-hoster, of course).

The manual gives instructions for loading the gun without the magazine - manually dropping a round in the pipe and releasing the slide. The instructions are for when the mag is unavailable or for training, since the gun doesn't have a mag-safety. However, it is an easier way to get the gun fully loaded: 1)drop one in the pipe, 2)release the slide and 3)insert the mag - vs. - 1)insert the mag, 2)rack the slide, 3)remove mag, 4)add a round and 5) reinsert the mag.

My question: are there safety reasons why this is not the preferred loading method? Is it harder on the gun somehow?
Nothing wrong with if...as long as you derive pleasure from replacing extractors. :grin

Seriously...not a good idea with any semi-auto pistol.

·
Registered
54,824 Posts
Nothing wrong with if...as long as you derive pleasure from replacing extractors. :grin

+1, It's a problem wating to happen with the extractor being abused in that manner.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, thanks. That is what I was looking for. I wonder why the manual doesn't mention that point...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Okay, thanks. That is what I was looking for. I wonder why the manual doesn't mention that point...
Cause they want you to buy new parts/guns from them.
:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is interesting. I just happen to have the manual for my PF9 sitting here and it describes the load magazine rack the slide and then replace the loaded round. It also says IN BOLD TYPE Never load rounds directly into the chamber
Makes ya wonder don't it

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1, It's a problem wating to happen with the extractor being abused in that manner.

That is interesting. I just happen to have the manual for my PF9 sitting here and it describes the load magazine rack the slide and then replace the loaded round. It also says IN BOLD TYPE Never load rounds directly into the chamber
Makes ya wonder don't it

Huh? Now I totally confused....I've always " 1)insert(ed) the mag, 2)rack(ed) the slide, 3)remove(d) mag, 4)add(ed) a round and 5) reinsert(ed) the mag."

This is incorrect, damages the extractor and not a good idea with any semi-auto pistol? Please walk me through this....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Huh? Now I totally confused....I've always " 1)insert(ed) the mag, 2)rack(ed) the slide, 3)remove(d) mag, 4)add(ed) a round and 5) reinsert(ed) the mag."

This is incorrect, damages the extractor and not a good idea with any semi-auto pistol? Please walk me through this....
They were talking about when you said you dropped the round in the chamber by hand then dropped the slide that is what is hard on the extractor. The way you described above I've always " 1)insert(ed) the mag, 2)rack(ed) the slide, 3)remove(d) mag, 4)add(ed) a round and 5) reinsert(ed) the mag." thats ok

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

.......................................................................................
Yep, that's the right way to do it; the case slides up under the extractor, whereas if you drop the slide on a loaded chamber, the extractor has to jump over the "rim" anf fall in the groove. Some don't mind too much, other will break.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Thanks jfl. . .that's what I was trying to figure out!

I was willing to accept the wisdom of those with more trigger time than me; but, I didn't know why it was harder on the extractor. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I understand what you are saying but - how does it damage the extractor?

If you rack the slide back it looks to me like the extractor is done doing its business before the slide is open enough for you to insert a cartridge into the pipe.

·
Super Moderator
19,792 Posts
I understand what you are saying but - how does it damage the extractor?

If you rack the slide back it looks to me like the extractor is done doing its business before the slide is open enough for you to insert a cartridge into the pipe.
And when you let the slide go with a round all ready in the chamber, the extractor has to slam against and jump over the rim of the cartridge...they ain't made to work like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts