Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we all bought a gun for protection and security but does it realy work ? do we go anywhere we want with out thinking of what could happen ? in other words,if you where invited to a house party :dancingbanana in a area that is know for shooting :ak and other activity :drinks : censored would you go with or with out your gun?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Does it make me feel more safe? No.

Does it make me feel more prepared to deal with a situation where my well being is threatened? Yes.

In answer to your hyporthetical- I don't know that I would go to the party regardless- it would depend on the location, situation, and how much I liked the hosts. There are stores and areas of town I avoid because they are dangerous. I avoid them with or without a firearm- to do otherwise is foolhardy.

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
does it make me feel safer nope.
Does make feel better to know that i am even on the playing field.
People say that gun owners are paranoid i don't say that we are paranoid if that were the case we would never leave home. i consider myself to me Alert ans aware of my surroundings.
Now as to your question if i were invited to a house party in an area that i know is known for high crime or trouble i steer clear of any of the areas. thats just me.

·
Administrator
3,949 Posts
Firstly let me say welcome to the forum Jungliiss-pt111. This is a good question and something I've thought about. A gun does not make me feel safer but it levels the playing field between me and a potential BG. I count on the fact that I perhaps train more and is more situationally aware than him. Nothing is guaranteed in life but I feel good that at least I have a fighting chance and not just stand there and be at the mercy of a perp. Feeling helpless is not in my book.

If I really do have to go to a seedy part of town then I carry extra mags and will keep my head on a swivel the entire time I'm there. I've been in that situation and my senses go on overdrive. Generally I try not to go to certain places but I know people who either work there or have to pass through these areas for their commute.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Generally, I stay away from seedy parts of town also. But, if I have to go through one to get somewhere I need to go (and the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line), then I'm not going to let some knuckle head interfere with my right as a free man or a tax payer. I've got just as much right to be there as anyone or to pass through without fear of some reprisal. The minute we all give that up, is the minute we all loose out in life.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
we all bought a gun for protection and security but does it realy work ?
One will only know if it really works, when one has the situation arise to use the firearm for protection and security.

The firearm will ( should ) work, but will the individual have the proper mindset to use the firearm when the time comes?

do we go anywhere we want with out thinking of what could happen ?
If one is aware of the possibility of being confronted by a criminal, then one has to think of what could happen.

in other words,if you where invited to a house party :dancingbanana in a area that is know for shooting :ak and other activity :drinks : censored would you go with or with out your gun?
The reason I acquired my Concealed Weapon License was to be able to protect my wife and myself, for that reason, I never go anywhere without carrying, unless it is forbidden by law.

·
Registered
41 Posts
we all bought a gun for protection and security but does it realy work ? do we go anywhere we want with out thinking of what could happen ? in other words,if you where invited to a house party :dancingbanana in a area that is know for shooting :ak and other activity :drinks : censored would you go with or with out your gun?
A gun is not a magical talisman of protection. It is simply a tool that one can use to protect themselves. Don't go anywhere with your gun that you wouldn't go without your gun.

Brian

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

Does it make me feel more prepared to deal with a situation where my well being is threatened? Yes.
+1

Safer? No.

Prepared? Yes.

Continual practice of situational awareness and avoiding places that increase the probability of getting into hairy situations (armed or unarmed) makes me feel safer.

Voluntarily going to a location known for trouble (unless you're a LEO, EMT, etc.) is just foolish. No party is worth that risk.

Not an issue for me...I'm a raging misanthrope. :p

-JT

·
Registered
1,833 Posts

There are stores and areas of town I avoid because they are dangerous. I avoid them with or without a firearm- to do otherwise is foolhardy.
+1 for all that. Having a gun doesn't make me feel safer and I'm not going to start going places I avoided before because I have one now.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say yes...it makes me feel safer when I have it. Safer because I am more prepared to provide for my families safety with it than without.

I qualify this by noting that when I find myself somewhere unarmed...I feel less safe than when I am armed.

Would I go to a party in a seedy part of town...maybe...but not really likely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts