Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Until watching a doumentary on Amazon Prime called On a Wing and a Prayer I never knew that pretty much the entire West took a very neutral stance on the newly formed State of Israel and expected them to fend for themselves despite being completely surrounded by countries and people quite hostile to their existence! Israel didn't enjoy the strong support from the West until later. The subject documentary is about a small group of mostly Americans, some Jewish, some non-Jewish, who in 1948 went against the U.S. State Department, FBI, even the United Nations, etc. and entered into an illegal and almost unbelievable plot to get surplus military aircraft to the newly formed State of Israel. . . and SUCCEEDED! So to my Jewish friends, supporters of Israel, or anyone else here who would like to learn some unique history, particularly what I consider one of several blemishes on America's historical record, I can very highly recommend watching On a Wing and a Prayer. :2thumsup

·
Registered
14,995 Posts
Hell, we have some Jewish folks in the US NOW who don't support Israel

·
Registered
772 Posts
Until watching a doumentary on Amazon Prime called On a Wing and a Prayer I never knew that pretty much the entire West took a very neutral stance on the newly formed State of Israel and expected them to fend for themselves despite being completely surrounded by countries and people quite hostile to their existence! Israel didn't enjoy the strong support from the West until later. The subject documentary is about a small group of mostly Americans, some Jewish, some non-Jewish, who in 1948 went against the U.S. State Department, FBI, even the United Nations, etc. and entered into an illegal and almost unbelievable plot to get surplus military aircraft to the newly formed State of Israel. . . and SUCCEEDED! So to my Jewish friends, supporters of Israel, or anyone else here who would like to learn some unique history, particularly what I consider one of several blemishes on America's historical record, I can very highly recommend watching On a Wing and a Prayer. :2thumsup
Will check it out :thumsup

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was produced as a PBS documentary so although I know it's on Prime, perhaps it's available from other video, cable, or streaming services. :dunno

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
the actual history goes well beyond the aircraft. My grandparents and dad were part of a network getting WW II souvenirs brought home by most GI's over to the new state of Israel. They always refused to discuss any of that with us but we would hear them talking while we ere supposed to be asleep along with some photos of some of the elder family members with their war souvenirs they sent back and brought back. The WW II vets brought back much more then bolt actions and semi automatic rifles and pistols. They seemed to have the ability to ship most anything back in 1944-45.

·
Super Moderator
26,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, the documentary mentions that, too and these guys were part of that larger effort. Many of the weapons and ammunition smuggled to Israel were former Nazi stockpiles, complete with the Nazi Eagle stamp on the receivers! The irony is priceless!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have seen that documentary. It was very good.

Amazon Prime has quite a few really good documentaries but sometimes you have to dig a bit to find them.

Currently watching the 10 part documentary on WW I. It is also pretty good watching for sure.

AD

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Have to find that one. I'm currently watching the multi part docudrama of the life of Charlemagne, which is pretty interesting.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Hell, we have some Jewish folks in the US NOW who don't support Israel
There is a difference,Marine,between not supporting Israel and not supporting Bibi.
A big difference.

See what happened here?
Riverpig trrolled ME !:2thumsup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts