Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been an instructor over 40 yrs. 60,000 plus students in my school. My way is not the only way. But I do have a history and certifications to justify both my curriculum and technique.
I am not a YouTube genie. I probably don’t rate in the top 100 instructors in the country. I am on the down hill side of a mediocre career.
I do own the oldest continuing firearms academy in Florida.
I have trained under some of the most famous instructors this world has ever known. Jim Cirrillo, Rex Applegate, Louis Awerbuck, Paul Castle, Jeff Cooper. What did they all have in common? A certifiable curriculum that actually worked. They had thousands of students that used their techniques to save their lives. They had certifications from many different organizations that solidified their techniques.
They all agreed on one thing. Their way was not the only way.
When I look at training today, I am astounded. Not that training is less today than before. Just that the trainers are not what they seem. The amount of unqualified trainers making huge money on unproven techniques and curriculum are astounding.
A basic NRA pistol certificate does not make you an operator. Keep in mind as an NRA training Counselor I have certified over 600 instructors. It also does not give you the ability to teach outside of your lane.
My God, if you are spending good money on training, do not spend it on YouTube videos.
Vet your Fu*cking instructors.

·
Registered
15,778 Posts
I just sent a full mag of Wilson Combat custom .45 ammo through the washer. Twice. At least it's clean and well trained...

·
Registered
21,572 Posts
today there is something to be said for tacticool training and it attracts a great number of people for the fluff...

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
My wife says I used to be a “real operator” until she bit-ch slapped me and made me marry her. :cool::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
I just sent a full mag of Wilson Combat custom .45 ammo through the washer. Twice. At least it's clean and well trained...
BTDT and got the tee shirt, Bro! I don’t think any made it into the dryer, but I’ve washed ammo that somehow got loose in my pockets on several occasions.

I actually had a good bit of ammo, including some older calibers that wasn’t that easily found, back in the early ‘80’s. It sloshed around in salt water for a day or two when a hurricane decided to go up and down the coast for a couple of days.
I wiped it all off, and shot some of it; but there wound up with a good bit of corrosion on the brass cases.

I was single, and living on Pine Island then.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have been an instructor over 40 yrs. 60,000 plus students in my school. My way is not the only way. But I do have a history and certifications to justify both my curriculum and technique.
I am not a YouTube genie. I probably don’t rate in the top 100 instructors in the country. I am on the down hill side of a mediocre career.
I have trained under some of the most famous instructors this world has ever known. Jim Cirrillo, Rex Applegate, Louis Awerbuck, Paul Castle, Jeff Cooper. What did they all have in common? A certifiable curriculum that actually worked. They had thousands of students that used their techniques to save their lives. They had certifications from many different organizations that solidified their techniques.
When I look at training today, I am astounded. Not that training is less today than before. Just that the trainers are not what they seem. The amount of unqualified trainers making huge money on unproven techniques and curriculum are astounding.
A basic NRA pistol certificate does not make you an operator. Keep in mind as an NRA training Counselor I have certified over 600 instructors. It also does not give you the ability to teach outside of your lane.
My God, if you are spending good money on training, do not spend it on YouTube videos.
Isn't this the same group that ended up with range safety failures that caused wounds to one or more students?

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me
Isn't this the same group that ended up with range safety failures that caused wounds to one or more students?
Me? Nope never had an ND in any course in over 40 yrs.

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Well said bttbbob. Amazes me listening & watching some of these “ instructors “ at the range. I commended one guy who was giving a class to some ladies, that were totally new to firearms. He was very good, patient & very saftey minded. Refreshing to observe.

·
Registered
14,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
From reading the various posts around here; I’d guess that Bob has made some shootin’ badasses out of more than a few of you.
Now that some are kidding about his “getting on;” I’ll just ask one thing; Do you really think that he’s taught you everything he knows?

Yeah; me either…. 🤣🤣

·
Super Moderator
31,887 Posts
From reading the various posts around here; I’d guess that Bob has made some shootin’ badasses out of more than a few of you.
Now that some are kidding about his “getting on;” I’ll just ask one thing; Do you really think that he’s taught you everything he knows?

Yeah; me either…. 🤣🤣
Nope, not sure that I could learn that much even if he tried! 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reactions: Rick McC.

·
Registered
238 Posts

Yeah; me either…. 🤣🤣
Also, not just Bob. Quite a few actually.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Great points.

Oftentimes, particularly after having been through a fair number of professional classes, that vetting process can be as simple as reading through the course description. Is the instructor/school selling skills that you genuinely need? Do they run counter to the methods and skills you already employ? Do their implied styles and philosophies put you off to the degree that you are rubbed the wrong way? Do they not know what they don't know, teaching out of their lane?

As a ferinstance, I first learned of Brownie's threat-focused work on an internet forum to which he occasionally contributed, but was not particularly popular. In fact, he and I both wound up eventually banned there. His to-the-point style rubbed many of the regulars who were there for amusement and self-gratification. That said, he promoted an approach to teaching skills I was extremely lacking in. I PM'ed him, watched a couple of his (seldom-viewed) videos, and determined that he could probably teach me skills that I felt I needed. He was instructing in Florida at that time, so I drove the thousand miles with the wife and dog from Ohio and attended his two-day class. It turned out to be much more than I could have hoped for. My entire outlook, philosophy, and approach to defensive handgunnery changed, all for the better. I have built on the experiences and skills that began there to the point that I bear very little resemblance as a shooter to the guy I was six years ago. I stay in touch with him and apprise him of my developments, and he has never been anything less than 110% encouraging and supportive, even when my techniques extend beyond or to the left or right of what he teaches.

There have been several other instructors who helped me fill in the blanks or change my answers on the test of shooting life.

The training experiences haven't all been positive. The posers, wannabes and outright frauds are out there--guys who insist on my-way-or-the-highway, "certification" with open-book tests and no real demonstration of skill or expertise in exchange for big bucks, etc. Easily spotted and avoided now, but with thousands of dollars spent on the smoke detector.

Here are a few criteria I use when I evaluate my need or willingness for a class:

Do they seem concerned about imparting their resume than the skills they will be teaching? Credentials are important, but only as a lead-in for what they are teaching;

Does it teach or reinforce skills I genuinely need in my role as an armed citizen? If not, why am I attending?

Do I find their online persona off-putting? Based on previous experience, what I see online is probably what I will get in person;

Are they insistent on what or how I will be carrying in class? No appendix carry? Hi-cap nine? Notice I said insistent, not highly encouraging. I recently attended FASTER I and FASTER II. The recommendation was for nine with a strong side holster. I ran it AIWB with a .45 Shield, to no chagrin of any of the staff or instructors present. I scored perfect on the qualification shoot, again, no problem. Here is a newscast featuring that program:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts