Florida Concealed Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK , This should finish up my Inquiries about what members are loading up . This Of course 'Not Applicable' to those who just buy factory ammo of any kind for All Uses .

To be a bit more specific S/Auto's , Wheel guns , Rifles and Specific Calibers of each . Then what Type bullet Heads being loaded & Grain Weights .

This would be including S.D. , Range [ practice ] rounds and even shotguns for shooting skeet , trap etc , Shot sizes

* If by chance Any Member thinks this is Too Invasive , Please do not respond of course. Thanking those responding in advance , I'm still trying to get a well rounded picture of what is most popular all around .

I appreciate you all taking your time to accomplish this.
My Best to members , In All Aspects Of Our 'God Given & Constitutional Rights' (y)(y)馃嚭馃嚫馃嚭馃嚫馃嚭馃嚫 'Gunner'

Super Moderator
I load .38 SP and .357 magnum for my wheel guns. Mostly 148 grain wadcutters from Falcon for the .38, and 125 grain jacketed hollow points from Magnus for the magnum loads.

.32 ACP using home cast round nose. It's been a long time, however.

9 mm luger for my Glock 19, using 115 grain hollow point from Montana Gold, or 125 grain flat nose from Precision, or 124 grain JHP from Hornady.

Registered
I only load precision rifle ammo

Registered
I have not reloaded in 20+ years. I used to reload many thousands of 9mm and .45. I have all the equipment including a very nice, but old, Dillion 550RL reloader. Right now i just don鈥檛 have the free time to reload. Maybe one day I鈥檒l pick it back up but won鈥榯 be anytime soon. Besides, reloading supplies are crazy expensive so not so sure of what I would save over cost of my time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I load .38 SP and .357 magnum for my wheel guns. Mostly 148 grain wadcutters from Falcon for the .38, and 125 grain jacketed hollow points from Magnus for the magnum loads.

.32 ACP using home cast round nose. It's been a long time, however.

9 mm luger for my Glock 19, using 115 grain hollow point from Montana Gold, or 125 grain flat nose from Precision, or 124 grain JHP from Hornady.
Excellent , Thanks very much my friend ! 'G' (y) (y) ;) 'G'

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have not reloaded in 20+ years. I used to reload many thousands of 9mm and .45. I have all the equipment including a very nice, but old, Dillion 550RL reloader. Right now i just don鈥檛 have the free time to reload. Maybe one day I鈥檒l pick it back up but won鈥榯 be anytime soon. Besides, reloading supplies are crazy expensive so not so sure of what I would save over cost of my time.
Gotcha My Friend &* thanks for taking your time to reply ! (y);) 'G'

Reactions: joecarry

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I only load precision rifle ammo
'Precision' meaning the Bullet type / Brass / Special Powder ? , Or Your Individual Astute High end Loading Procedures and Techniques ? .. Thanks ! 'G'

Registered
I load mostly 9mm, because that鈥檚 what I shoot by far the most.
I do also load .45 acp, .38 spl/.357 mag, .44 mag, and have dies for .308 (7.62X51mm), and I think 30-30.
I know that I have some other die sets; but it鈥檚 been so long that I can鈥檛 remember them.

I load primarily range/match ammo; because I prefer to use factory ammo for carry.

I have 9mm bullets (projectiles) in 115 gr jacketed ball, 115 gr JHP, 9mm cast TCFP in 122 gr, .45 acp in 230 gr FMJ, and cast .45acp in 165 gr LSWC, 185 AND 200 gr LSWC, and 230 gr LRN. I bought the 165 gr and 185 gr bullets when that was all I could get, and have never loaded any of it. I鈥檝e loaded a boat load of 200 gr LSWC and RN, and 230 gr LRN.
In the past, I鈥檝e loaded a bunch of .45-70. I had a Ruger Number 1 in .45-70, and could make loads up in the .458 Win Mag levels for that rifle.

Back in my Kentucky Rifle days; I cast my own rifle balls in .445, .490, and .312 inch diameters.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I load mostly 9mm, because that鈥檚 what I shoot by far the most.
I do also load .45 acp, .38 spl/.357 mag, .44 mag, and have dies for .308 (7.62X51mm), and I think 30-30.
I know that I have some other die sets; but it鈥檚 been so long that I can鈥檛 remember them.

I load primarily range/match ammo; because I prefer to use factory ammo for carry.

I have 9mm bullets (projectiles) in 115 gr jacketed ball, 115 gr JHP, 9mm cast TCFP in 122 gr, .45 acp in 230 gr FMJ, and cast .45acp in 165 gr LSWC, 185 AND 200 gr LSWC, and 230 gr LRN. I bought the 165 gr and 185 gr bullets when that was all I could get, and have never loaded any of it. I鈥檝e loaded a boat load of 200 gr LSWC and RN, and 230 gr LRN.
In the past, I鈥檝e loaded a bunch of .45-70. I had a Ruger Number 1 in .45-70, and could make loads up in the .458 Win Mag levels for that rifle.

Back in my Kentucky Rifle days; I cast my own rifle balls in .445, .490, and .312 inch diameters.
Holy Smokes ! Now this is what I was absolutely looking for ! That is an awesome plethora of assorted Ammo ! I thought I was the only one with hard cast any caliber .

Did you find the truncated flat point with any problems with Failure to feed ? What gun did you use them in ? [ The Make ] I know they were 9mm as described .

In Hard cast Single lube ring I have in 9mm as yours , .38 Sp'l / .40 Cal both weights / .45 L/C / also S /A 230 Gr .45 w / single and triple lube rings [ old types ] .

Maybe 35 lbs in all on a guess . I forgot I even have them in .380 I do believe . Been a long time , as they are in different places here .

You did your own lead castings for your Kentucky rifle balls ? Nice and was that for Flintlock or using The Percussion Caps ? I picked up tire weights , melted them & used them initially for full 1 oz sinkers .

*The guy across from me took me out from Bayport in his 18' inboard about 25 miles for some Grouper fishing . He hit every swell both ways & I spent the next [ 2 ] days in bed with my back [ about 10 years ago .

* Sorry For Going on The Tangent ! Thanks (y) (y) 'G'

Registered
Holy Smokes ! Now this is what I was absolutely looking for ! That is an awesome plethora of assorted Ammo ! I thought I was the only one with hard cast any caliber .

Did you find the truncated flat point with any problems with Failure to feed ? What gun did you use them in ? [ The Make ] I know they were 9mm as described .

I鈥檝e used the cast 122 gr 9mm TCFP in most of my 9mm pistols; including M&P 9s, 9mm Shields, Compacts, a Kahr CM 9, and 9mm 1911s; in both Officers and full sized ones, a multi-caliber RIA 1911, and a Sig P229 Legion.
No functional or accuracy problems were observed in any.

In Hard cast Single lube ring I have in 9mm as yours , .38 Sp'l / .40 Cal both weights / .45 L/C / also S /A 230 Gr .45 w / single and triple lube rings [ old types ] .

Maybe 35 lbs in all on a guess . I forgot I even have them in .380 I do believe . Been a long time , as they are in different places here .

You did your own lead castings for your Kentucky rifle balls ? Nice and was that for Flintlock or using The Percussion Caps ? I picked up tire weights , melted them & used them initially for full 1 oz sinkers .

I used 100% pure plumber鈥檚 lead; in five pound ingots.
Once I started building custom rifles (rather than kits); I was a hard core flinter.

*The guy across from me took me out from Bayport in his 18' inboard about 25 miles for some Grouper fishing . He hit every swell both ways & I spent the next [ 2 ] days in bed with my back [ about 10 years ago .

* Sorry For Going on The Tangent ! Thanks (y) (y) 'G'
Answers for the above are bolded; within the body of the quotes above.

鈥漈he guy across from me took me out from Bayport in his 18' inboard about 25 miles for some Grouper fishing . He hit every swell both ways & I spent the next [ 2 ] days in bed with my back [ about 10 years ago.鈥

Damn; that sucks! 22 foot is about the smallest I鈥檇 want to go. Anything shorter than that just bounces up and down between the chop; where the longer ones can extend across the tops of more waves, making for a much smoother ride.

We were out there today with the grandkids. Started over at an inshose island between Bayport and Hernando Beach, then went out to the North Rack; to putt around the rockpile so they could see the sea turtles, fish and stingrays. They loved it out there; eight miles from shore, in about nine feet of water (it鈥檚 a shallow area there, and why the original bird rack was built there to begin with), so it wasn't long until they jumped out of the boat to chill out in the water:

Water Boat Vehicle Watercraft Naval architecture

I guess fearlessness runs in the family鈥︷煓

When LeighAnn (one on the left in the pic) was three years old; she climbed right up on my back for me to swim her over to her parent鈥檚 boat; about 30 yards away.
At the time; we were seven miles out off the Chaz marker, scalloping.

I failed to mention before; my press is a Dillon RL 550 B. I also have a Rock Chucker single stage press that I keep a primer pocket swaging die set in.

Registered
I stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies when prices were at an all time low when Trump was president, so I haven't actually had to reload in a few years.

That said, I am set up, and have components for the following calibers.

Pistol:
32-20
7.62 Nagant
9mm
10mm
44 Spl/Mag
45 ACP

Rifle:
224 Valkyrie
30-40 Krag
30 Carbine
308/7.62x51
30-06
303 British
7.7x58 Japanese
7x57 Mauser
8x57 Mauser
7.5x54 MAS
7.5x55 Swiss
7.65x53 Argentine Mauser
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x55 Swedish
6.5x52 Carcano
7.62x45 Czech
8x56R Austro-Hungarian
8x52 Lebel
45-70
50-70

I don't load more than 100-200 rounds at a time. I use a Lee Classic Turret press, and a Hornady automatic powder measure.

Registered
Used to reload .45 when I was really shooting a LOT of it! That was mostly as quickly as I could go, trying to make as much ammo, for as little money, as I could manage.

Then I also used to reload .30-06, slowly and carefully, to try to get the very best ammo for hunting that I could. Managed to get down to slightly under 1/2-MOA through my Browning A-Bolt. I could keep my shots within the kill-zone of a deer out to around 400 yards.

Pretty much all RCBS equipment.

Have to admit, though, that I have since quit reloading. Don't shoot competitively anymore, and the eyes aren't good enough for 400 yard shots anymore. So store-bought ammo works plenty well enough for me. And I've got other hobbies to keep me busy now.

Registered
Yes I produce small batch hand crafted ammunition. I also cast my own lead bullets with appropriate alloys for most of my crafting.
380 auto
9mm Luger
38 special
357 Magnum
40 S&W
45 Auto
45 Colt
30-30
308 Win
30-06
223 Rem
and don鈥檛 even get me started on holy black powder.

it would take more hours than I have to go in to detail.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

鈥漈he guy across from me took me out from Bayport in his 18' inboard about 25 miles for some Grouper fishing . He hit every swell both ways & I spent the next [ 2 ] days in bed with my back [ about 10 years ago.鈥

Damn; that sucks! 22 foot is about the smallest I鈥檇 want to go. Anything shorter than that just bounces up and down between the chop; where the longer ones can extend across the tops of more waves, making for a much smoother ride.

We were out there today with the grandkids. Started over at an inshose island between Bayport and Hernando Beach, then went out to the North Rack; to putt around the rockpile so they could see the sea turtles, fish and stingrays. They loved it out there; eight miles from shore, in about nine feet of water (it鈥檚 a shallow area there, and why the original bird rack was built there to begin with), so it wasn't long until they jumped out of the boat to chill out in the water:

View attachment 76957

When LeighAnn (one on the left in the pic) was three years old; she climbed right up on my back for me to swim her over to her parent鈥檚 boat; about 30 yards away.
At the time; were seven miles out off the Chaz marker, scalloping.

I failed to mention before; my press is a Dillon RL 550 B. I also have a Rock Chucker single stage press that I keep a primer pocket swaging die set in.

View attachment 76957

At the time; were seven miles out off the Chaz marker, scalloping.

Great reply ! I must be Missing something : Answers for the above are BOLDED ; within the body of the quotes above -* I see nothing in Bold print anywhere on your posting - Maybe it's just me ? . Other than that , great Info , Pictures etc; .. Thanks for the extended posting and reply .. 'G'

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Used to reload .45 when I was really shooting a LOT of it! That was mostly as quickly as I could go, trying to make as much ammo, for as little money, as I could manage.

Then I also used to reload .30-06, slowly and carefully, to try to get the very best ammo for hunting that I could. Managed to get down to slightly under 1/2-MOA through my Browning A-Bolt. I could keep my shots within the kill-zone of a deer out to around 400 yards.

Pretty much all RCBS equipment.

Have to admit, though, that I have since quit reloading. Don't shoot competitively anymore, and the eyes aren't good enough for 400 yard shots anymore. So store-bought ammo works plenty well enough for me. And I've got other hobbies to keep me busy now.
Very Impressive Posting ! That's unreal to even hit something at [ 400 ] yds , no less the MOA ! Understood about the Eyes , as my Floaters are increasing by the year now .

Store bought is fine , and it works well for you .Nothing wrong with that . Understand about the Other Hobbies as well . Thanks Much for taking the time to add your information .. My Best to ya .. (y) (y) ;) 'G'

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies when prices were at an all time low when Trump was president, so I haven't actually had to reload in a few years.

That said, I am set up, and have components for the following calibers.

Pistol:
32-20
7.62 Nagant
9mm
10mm
44 Spl/Mag
45 ACP

Rifle:
224 Valkyrie
30-40 Krag
30 Carbine
308/7.62x51
30-06
303 British
7.7x58 Japanese
7x57 Mauser
8x57 Mauser
7.5x54 MAS
7.5x55 Swiss
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5x55 Swedish
6.5x52 Carcano
7.62x45 Czech
8x56R Austro-Hungarian
8x52 Lebel
45-70
50-70

I don't load more than 100-200 rounds at a time. I use a Lee Classic Turret press, and a Hornady automatic powder measure.
Very Very Impressive indeed ! Wow , that is one load of diversified ammo indeed ! I would just venture a guess that you have me by about [ 20 ] :rolleyes: .

I as you also use my Lee Classic Press .. 100 - 200 is more than enough for me as well . I just like taking my time and rechecking everything that I'm loading . This not just once fired , but also all new at times .

I will never forget Mr AFjuvat , how you helped me back aways when I was stuck with very limited 32.20 brass . Not many people would've done that for me . My Kudos for your Extensive Calibers and capabilities . I think you for taking the time to post your valued information on here . Best ;)(y)(y)'G'

Reactions: AFJuvat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes I produce small batch hand crafted ammunition. I also cast my own lead bullets with appropriate alloys for most of my crafting.
380 auto
9mm Luger
38 special
357 Magnum
40 S&W
45 Auto
45 Colt
30-30
308 Win
30-06
223 Rem
and don鈥檛 even get me started on holy black powder.

it would take more hours than I have to go in to detail.
Another Very Impressive List plus adding you producing your own cast bullets . Your list incudes most everything that i have Dies for in my inventory at present. I have some cast bullets , although from assorted companies over the years .

I wanted to try the new black powder substitute 'Triple Seven' by Hodgdon . Not for any muzzle loaders , but I saw a recipe for my S&W .500 Magnum Handgun .

I just never got around to trying as i was too busy with other things . So The older we get , it seems we may slow down a bit more . All things considered ,

You should be very proud of all you have achieved . My Best ,Thanks for taking the time to input info'(y)'G'

Registered
Great reply ! I must be Missing something : Answers for the above are BOLDED ; within the body of the quotes above -* I see nothing in Bold print anywhere on your posting - Maybe it's just me ? . Other than that , great Info , Pictures etc; .. Thanks for the extended posting and reply .. 'G'
Expand the quoted part (your post) within my post, and you鈥檒l see the bolded responses. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK , Finally found the bolded print that you had replied with ! [ Yikes ] Live and learn , and it seems I'm still Learning - What A Newbie I still am :eek: :rolleyes::censored::censored:'G'

Reactions: Rick McC.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts