Florida Concealed Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends, I had to share the story that happened yesterday afternoon.

Wife and I were chilling out when I got a phone call from my neighbor. We live on 3 acres he has 7 acres. He is a first time cattle raiser and I think he got started just to minimize his taxes.

He had about six cows and a couple of years ago he got this skinny little Bull that he named Bob. At first I was concerned that my wife, an animal lover, would try to adopt Bob. He was really skinny and the cows were pushing him over and otherwise being inconsiderate. It was touch and go for a while as to whether ole Bob would get enough to eat.
Bob continues to grow and got all six cows pregnant and now weighs in at about 2000 pounds plus. He’s developed a pretty bad temper, he’s never been castrated and seems to be getting bigger and meaner by the minute.

My neighbor tried to get Bob in a trailer last week to take him away and Bob was too smart for him. His property is surrounded by residences on one side and kids come over to feed the cows. He’s really worried that Bob will get angry and charge through the fence at someone. He’s obviously concerned about civil liability.

On to the story: the phone rings and it’s my neighbor. He’s obviously very excited, I can hear the horn honking in his truck and he literally screams “do you have a gun big enough to kill a Bull” I told him that I did and I kept hearing this loud BOOM BOOM in the background. It seems Bob was angry with his circumstances and was repeatedly ramming the truck. My neighbor was trapped inside honking the horn, shifting from drive to reverse trying to escape the enraged Bob.

I have more than one firearm and after some short hurried contemplation, I selected a Mossberg mariner 12 gauge and stuffed it full of high velocity rifled slugs. I holstered a Glock 21 converted to 460 Rowland and jumped in the golf cart to the rescue. All the time, my wife was yelling “don’t do it, you have a bad leg, you can’t run“ I assured her that I would attempt to stay an appropriate distance away and if Bob came after me I felt like I could make a good attempt at running.

Fortunately, my neighbor had thrown a half empty feed bag out the front window of the truck which caused Bob to go over and sniff at the contents. He had escaped the pasture in his truck by the time I got there in the golf cart. There was visible damage on his truck and he told me that he’s been in the service and been a firefighter his entire adult life but never been as afraid as when he was under attack by Bob.

I hooked him up with some cowboys who are going to come out today and send Bob to the happy hunting ground. When Bob’s spirit departs, his earthly remains will become hamburger. I declined my neighbors kind offer to give me hamburger because of my long time practice of never eating anything when I know its name.

Yesterday was an interesting day, in addition to the attack of Bob, I had an encounter with a 6 foot water moccasin. All is well here on Green acres.

in hindsight, it was one of the funniest conversations I’ve ever had regarding the effectiveness of modern pistol cartridges. He asked me if a 9 mm would kill a Bull since he had one in his truck. I told him to pass because it would just piss Bob off and he should save one round for himself in the event Bob got the doors off the truck.

·
Registered
8,019 Posts
A 9mm would do it.

I’ve killed more than a few cattle (cows, bulls and steers) over the years with a .22; both pistols and rifles.

You always kill cattle with a head shot. Same with hogs.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Rick, if they’re standing still. The problem is this guy is a little difficult to deal with. They penned him up last week with a 72 foot portable fence. He rooted the fence up his shoulders and took of running with it dragging.

He has a temper worse than my first wife.

When the guy was talking to me, the bull put his head under the rear bumper and was picking up the back end of the truck. My neighbor is not a great shot and I was afraid if he got out and tried to dispatch Bob he would be trampled.

The damage to his truck would be perfect for a farmers insurance advertisement.

·
Registered
54,487 Posts
Ruger Alaskan in 44mag would be the pistol I'd grab for that job [ I keep it for bruins when trekking in the Superstitions ].

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
Damn funny story, Shark! 🤣 Had me thinking about reaching for my 45-70 lever gun loaded with cartridges with 405 grain bullets!

Reactions: frgood

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great choice Brownie. If I only had one. The 460 Rowland carries 15 rounds and is ballistically pretty close to 44.

BH, if I had a .45-70 that’s what I would have grabbed.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Hummm..... now there's a use case scenario I hadn't considered. :unsure:
Maybe I do need another handgun after all?

I do have a true story about a bull humping an outdoor air conditioning compressor.
Considering the thousands of dollars we spent on that, it's really not that funny.... until you see the video.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Pretty sure my.300 would stop his pump, no matter which end I started on. Seriously though, seen several taken with a .22 by our neighbor to our horse pasture. I have taken lots of swine with a .22 mag & wouldn’t think twice about grabbing one for either. Surgical strike behind the ear, scrambles their eggs quick, specially when it can’t get back out & bounces around in the bucket!!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
I would imagine that my 1911 would do the trick for pistol but I would probably grab my Henry .357. Shoots like a 22 with the recoil and extremely accurate.

My grandfather was a dairy farmer and he kept a bull at the farm. He kept him behind three fences so we wouldn’t be able to get close.

He also kept a few Angus and would slaughter one each year and split the meat. I always took comfort that we were eating a cow I knew personally. Always knew she lived the good life before coming to the table.

·
Super Moderator
27,083 Posts
Yup, .22 has dispatched lots of barnyard animals prior to slaughter, but I can imagine that Bob the Bull wasnt going to be still for that, making a precise .22 hit less certain. 🤠

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
My .338 Lapua would probably go clean through at close (-ish) range and do very little damage.
Although... the "thump" might turn him away. (?)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts